Parent reviews for Diary of a Wimpy Kid, Book 1

Diary of a Wimpy Kid, Book 1 Poster Image

Main character is a bad influence

My 6 year old picked up reading quickly and independently got into the Wimpy Kid series. Excited to support his reading habits we kept buying him books from the series without thought or research. Reading a couple of chapters here and there I intentionally pointed out to my son that the main character, Greg, was rude, a bad friend, and not to be copied, but since there weren't any adult themes and social skills have always been a strength for my kid, I never worried too much about it. Flashforward a year or so and we have a 7-year-old with the bad attitude of a full-blown sitcom teenager. Thinking this was a stage or some sort of pandemic-related issue, I continued to try to address the attitude without even thinking to blame this book series he has been constantly reading, and re-reading. However, after I finally sat down to watch the movie with my son the painful truth become undeniable. My son was absolutely a carbon copy of Greg. I realized, in the book series, Greg is his own hero. Even though Greg's attitude causes him many problems, Greg doesn't see himself as the issue and my son is too young to understand that very important nuance. Developmentally, my son takes the text at face value. He sees what Greg sees and has thereby learned being funny and cool means acting like a cocky, self-absorbed, jerk. To be honest, Bart Simpson would be a better role model. IF your kids are older this book might be more appropriate, however by that point I believe the reading level would be far too low. Elementary and middle school kids are trying to find themselves. It's normal for them to try on the attitudes and behaviors of the people and characters they see. Do yourself and your kid a giant favor and skip the Dairy of the Wimpy Kid book series. You're not missing anything.
5 people found this helpful.

Entertaining and a good start for young readers.

The Diary Of A Wimpy Kid books have always been controversial for many parents, but in my opinion, they’re fine. They’re the perfect way to introduce young children to reading, without there being too many difficult words, etc. Although some characters have bad qualities, as long as your children aren’t badly behaved and/or easily influenced, then the books should be okay for them to read. They are an entertaining read, so I would recommend buying one (or more) of the books.

1 person found this helpful.

One of my favorite books ever.

To be honest, I'm a little torn on this book. I've been reading it aloud with my 10.5 year old. We've laughed and laughed. I love comics and although this is a book with more words than pictures, it has the same comic rhythm as a classic cartoon. However, I also acknowledge Greg is not a good example. It does help that we read it together... we've had some discussions on appropriate behavior, but I'm still deciding if we'll continue (we just finished book 5). I just wish I could give Rowley a hug and let him know he doesn't have to take all the garbage from Greg. He's better than that. The saddest part to me is Roderick. He is a major jerk to Greg and everyone. Sibling relationships don't have to be like that! So overall, Greg and Roderick are selfish, I would not consider this book a classic, but it is funny. Read with your kids if they really want to read it so you are aware and can discuss it with them.

Good book good laughs

A lot of people say Greg the main character is a bad influence and I agree but I think as long as your kid is at an age where they don’t copy other people’s behavior or think what Greg does such as lying, making rude remarks etc. ok to do then give them this book it’s funny and might even get them excited about reading. I do hear people say things like “oh the language is bad” but I mean I guess it depends on what you consider foul in your house. They say words like “moron” and idiot or stupid a lot but personally I’m ok with those words if your not then it’s really up to you whether or not your give this book to your kids.

Good book good laughs

A lot of people say Greg the main character is a bad influence and I agree but I think as long as your kid is at an age where they don’t copy other people’s behavior or think what Greg does such as lying, making rude remarks etc. is ok to do then give them this book it’s funny and might even get them excited about reading. I do hear people say things like “oh the language is bad” but I mean I guess it depends on what you consider foul in your house. They say words like “moron” and idiot or stupid a lot but personally I’m ok with those words if your not then it’s really up to you whether or not your give this book to your kids.

Really good, just don't let kindergarteners read it

I am in 3rd grade now and I like the book series but in kindergarten my older cousin left it on the coffee table. I read it but soon realized that was a mistake. There was this kid in my class who was a bully but from the book I learned the word "moron" and called that kid a moron but led to immediate detention. Like the headline says, really good, just don't let kindergarteners read it. Thank you. Also don't let kids spread rumors about contagious "food touches".

Not a really good book

This book isn't that good for kids because it has way to much complaining about being popular and fancy and about your money that isn't really that good for kids and it shows stuff in the bathroom