All member reviews for Drama

Sharp, funny graphic novel captures chaos of theater.

Teen, 14 years old Written byBUCKBUCK December 24, 2012

Great

Another great book by Rania. It is an easy read. This book is definatly more girl oreinted and elementarty readers may dislike the crush stuff especially between 2 boys.

Kid, 11 years old December 28, 2012

Nice Story, Bad Message

I am a huge Raina Telgemier fan after reading her first graphic novel "Smile"! When I heard she is publishing another novel I was very jubilant and I went to the library that very day and placed a hold on the book! After two weeks I got the book and I was ready to get my nose stuck in the book! After 20 pages you find out one of the characters is gay! GAY! Is that necessary for a book recommended for 7-13 year olds! The story of the girl Callie and her middle school journey through a middle school play Moon Over Mississippi is overal fonaminal! I loved it so much! But what made me not enjoy the book is as a 10 year old child reading a book filled with gay characters and sexual activities! The gayness wouldn't end and I became very disappointed in this author! One of my favorites instantly became an author I had high expectations for!!!! Drama is a nice story but a bad sexual message!

Teen, 13 years old Written byseaotter77 January 4, 2013

Not appropriate

There is a lot of homosexuality mentioned in the book, and I don't think CSM did a good job of mentioning/talking about it. The book is good quality, but it is for an older audience.

Teen, 14 years old Written byPookie1562 March 21, 2013

good drama book

I think the book is good to read!

Parent Written byajwmom May 22, 2013

Disappointed...

My 12 yr old daughter is a big fan of Smile and a bit of a reluctant reader so when she saw Drama she instantly gravitated to it based on her experience with Smile. I looked at the book and thought the graphics were great. She stopped reading it a few chapters in. She's in Drama and was interested from the aspect of someone who wants to be the star but falls short in acting/singing talent but finds her place behind the scenes. That appealed to her but once she hit the same sex crush, she was confused. It sparked a conversation about steroetypes regarding males interested in Drama and singing in musicals. My daughter elected not to continue the book because she felt a bit mislead from the synopsis and beginning of the story. Just not her cup of tea. Parents should be prepared to discuss boys having crushes on other boys, perpetuating sterotypes of males involved in Theatre , girl crushes on boys who like boys, and unkind behavior amongst friends. I give it 1 star simply because the graphics are so good. Provided you're ready to broach mature subject matter with you middle-schooler, they'll enjoy the graphics.

Kid, 11 years old March 17, 2013

GREAT BOOK/COMIC

I really love this book/comic. I think it is not inappropriate except for a few kisses.

Parent Written bycatapault November 8, 2013

There is a little more to the story . . .

It's important to know that this book addresses the homosexuality of twin 8th grade boys, both of which come out to the central character in the book. Cassie is respectful and kind to the boys and accepts them for who they are. However, the book also has a third character, named West, who it is revealed isn't sure if he is gay or bi. The confusion over sexuality may be a theme too mature for your elementary age child. The book makes no mention of these themes in the summary on the back, in the descripton on the Scholastic website or on Amazon. (Thank you Common Sense Media for mentioning this here.) The book is written on a 2.6 grade level and is a graphic novel, so odds are if it's in your child's elementary school library, your younger child could end up reading this and may not understand these parts of the story. The sexuality of the boys is a sub-theme of the book and I feel that parents should be aware of this so they can make an informed decision about whether their child is ready for this issue or not.

Kid, 11 years old July 23, 2013

AWESOMENESS!

This book is absolutely EXELLENT!! I loved it! I have noticed many people saying its not great, but, this book has good value!! It's a sort of coming of age book with great role models and good humor. Those who say the book is "too gay" or have a problem with those who ARE gay should really keep their mouthes shut. There are gay relationships, but that shouldn't matter much. I think anyone 11+ could read this book. I'm eleven and I loved it! But if eleven doesn't work then you should try 12. Many of the characters are also great. This book is a must read, with great graphics and positive messages! There is no sex but a few kisses between characters (but that's fine) SO I ENCOURAGE YOU TO READ IT!! :)

Teen, 13 years old Written bypuppylove123 October 13, 2013

Learning Process

I think kids eleven and up should read it because, you can't hide everything from kids for a long time and it may be uncomfortable for the parents to talk about it willingly so if a kid had a question about it I think it wouldn't make the topic hard to approach and our world today there's internet and kids eight learn stuff like swearing or drugs or sex. The world is different then when us fourteen olds didn't understand as well. As kids get older I think its a good idea to learn just steps of people liking the same sex as long as it wasn't nude involved.

Teen, 14 years old Written byBetty L. August 31, 2013

AN AWESOME STORY! READ IT!

DRAMA is an awesome graphic novel! I loved it from start to finish! My younger sister also read it, and we both loved it so much! A wonderful, real story that depicts many aspects of being a middle-schooler. A must read for kids twelve and up. I guess it would be fine for younger readers, but kids might not get the same messages and events that take place as older tweens and young teens. GREAT BOOK! A MUST READ!

Kid, 11 years old January 5, 2014

Misunderstood, Wonderful Story

I purchased this at a bookstore last year. I was sick and read it all in one day! Everyone is getting too riled up about the homosexual characters. I think that, rather than this having the negative sexual message that everyone says, this gives kids and teens with other sexuality acceptance. The characters kiss, but never go too far. Everyone remains fully clothed! It does show two boys kissing once, but they are on stage preforming. Every kid has to learn that people with other sexualities exist. You can't just shelter them forever. It is a great coming of age story with positive messages about sexuality and a fun and interesting theater theme! The fun graphic novel format will delight avid and reluctant readers alike!