All parent member reviews for Drama

Parent Written byajwmom May 22, 2013

Disappointed...

My 12 yr old daughter is a big fan of Smile and a bit of a reluctant reader so when she saw Drama she instantly gravitated to it based on her experience with Smile. I looked at the book and thought the graphics were great. She stopped reading it a few chapters in. She's in Drama and was interested from the aspect of someone who wants to be the star but falls short in acting/singing talent but finds her place behind the scenes. That appealed to her but once she hit the same sex crush, she was confused. It sparked a conversation about steroetypes regarding males interested in Drama and singing in musicals. My daughter elected not to continue the book because she felt a bit mislead from the synopsis and beginning of the story. Just not her cup of tea. Parents should be prepared to discuss boys having crushes on other boys, perpetuating sterotypes of males involved in Theatre , girl crushes on boys who like boys, and unkind behavior amongst friends. I give it 1 star simply because the graphics are so good. Provided you're ready to broach mature subject matter with you middle-schooler, they'll enjoy the graphics.

Parent Written bycatapault November 8, 2013

There is a little more to the story . . .

It's important to know that this book addresses the homosexuality of twin 8th grade boys, both of which come out to the central character in the book. Cassie is respectful and kind to the boys and accepts them for who they are. However, the book also has a third character, named West, who it is revealed isn't sure if he is gay or bi. The confusion over sexuality may be a theme too mature for your elementary age child. The book makes no mention of these themes in the summary on the back, in the descripton on the Scholastic website or on Amazon. (Thank you Common Sense Media for mentioning this here.) The book is written on a 2.6 grade level and is a graphic novel, so odds are if it's in your child's elementary school library, your younger child could end up reading this and may not understand these parts of the story. The sexuality of the boys is a sub-theme of the book and I feel that parents should be aware of this so they can make an informed decision about whether their child is ready for this issue or not.