Parent reviews for Gossip Girl Books

Gossip Girl Books Poster Image

For teens and up only!

I can't believe people are saying that it's okay for 8 year olds! I would say 8 is fine for Twilight, but Gossip Girl? No. Do you really want your 8 year old exposed to drugs, smoking, swearing, underage drinking, sex, and everything else? It's not even the content - it's the way it's portrayed. You are basically giving your kid a book that says, drugs are fine, underage drinking is fine, everything's fine - just look good and don't make a scene. If that's not glamorizing teenage life, I don't know what is. Unlike Pretty Little Liars, another teen series like this, no one gets punished. At all. The reason I gave this 4/5 stars is because of one word: entertainment. It's fun to read about the life of the rich and powerful. You should read it, just make sure you know all the content first...
I think kids over nine should know about this stuff already, my daughter loves this show so much

Not for children

I could not believe this was in school for my 10 year old daughter to read . We need to be very careful what our children bring home to read

Rumor has it that Nate, who’s dating Blair, is really in love with Serena, but then again, who isn’t? Serena, the “It” Girl of the whole Upper East Side of Manhattan, is more or less perfect (maybe too perfect, some say). According to Blair, (the jealous, ex-best-friend of Serena), she got kicked out of her European boarding school for cutting class, peddling drugs, sleeping around, you name it. Some say she had a baby in France and left it to be raised by an au pair, says Chuck, one of NYC’s adolescent jet set last seen in the ladies’ room at last night’s party feeling up Jenny, Blair and Serena’s classmate with the DD bra size. But Dan, a Beatnik loner with a crush on Serena, doesn’t believe a word of the gossip on his golden girl. Vanessa, however, an aspiring filmmaker with a thing for Leo Tolstoy and her friend Dan, is beginning to have her doubts. Von Ziegesar creates a cast of characters that seem superficial at first, but develop into surprisingly likable people (most of them, anyway). The narrative is a shallow one with more than its fair share of laughs, but wraps up a bit too abruptly for any of the relationship problems to be solved in a realistic manner. All that aside, this giggly, gossipy first volume of the best-selling series is sure to impress teen girls with a taste for chick lit. Recommended for Ages 16-18 for sexual content and rambunctious adolescent behavior.

I personally love the books, however I read them while in college. I would absolutely not want my kids reading these books until they were out of high school! There is really nothing appropriate about them, however, the stories are great- juicy, dramatic, and addictive. Letting your child read these books would be the equivalent of letting them watch Sex and the City, but with high schoolers.

Why settle for trash

Why give kids junk literature/media to teach how not to act instead of giving them good literature/media that teaches how to act. Why not find wholesome books with good role models showing how beneficial it is to make good decisions.

Great read for middle school (6th grade) and up

My 11-year-old sixth-grader and I have read and loved this. A lot of her peers are now venturing into young adult books, and they all realize that this is gulity pleasure fiction and not to be taken seriously. One of the best books ever written. You should definitely read the whole series. A+

Read it, loved it, but not for the faint of heart.

I have read this book and all i can say is "Don't hate it until you've tried it" My child has a 12.9 reading level at only 13. She has to have book that are a lot harder then what the other seventh graders are reading so i've learned to let her pick out her own books but look over them before allowing her to read them. I think that this is a good book but intented for 15 and up.

Very sad this toxic stuff is so popular

I am not easily shocked, but that's my reaction to how cynical and demeaning Hachette and this author are. They are making a lot of money selling a concentrated form of the stuff that ultimately keeps teenage girls and young women weak: intense emphasis on looks, materialism and brands; a view of female relationships as competitive sport; and a view of cheap sex, alcohol, and smoking as just part of a normal girl's life. And they can't pretend the appeal and the sale doesn't work it's way down to the "'tweens". I am not a conservative, either politically or religiously. But this is the underside of American culture, celebrated and treated as normal. I hope we'll eventually grow up to the point where we see this stuff the way we now understand smoking: bad for everyone, and not to be made sexy and marketed to young people. Parents you should read this book before you let your daughter read it, and see where you stand. If you are trying to raise a daughter (or son) who has values that will lead to real happiness over time, and the courage to stick to these values -- you may agree with me that Hachette and "Cecily Von Ziegesar" are enemies to your cause.

I LOVE GG LOL