Parent reviews for I Am Jazz

I Am Jazz Poster Image

Not appropriate for elementary kids

I’m shocked to see this book being rated for appropriate for children 4 and up. They are exploring words and concepts that deal with a persons identity. Children at this age need to understand the importance of inclusivity and the realization that people come in different shapes and sizes. Anything beyond that is both confusing and too mature. By introducing these concepts at such an early age, we’re predisposing that a girl who dresses like a boy is transgender or vice versa. This is clearly not the case.
3 people found this helpful.

Surprisingly sexist

There are some great trans picture books out there, but this one is surprisingly sexist. In the story, Jazz says she has a "girl brain in a boy body" and illustrates that by saying her favorite color is pink, she likes makeup, and loves mermaids. I would never want my kid to think that their interests, the clothes they wear, or the colors they like have anything to do with gender identification, and you don't need to teach kids about trans identities by being sexist. Give this one a miss and keep looking.
1 person found this helpful.

amazing story about the challenges of being different, and accepting who you are

amazing book! good for not just your children!