Parent reviews for Little House in the Big Woods

Little House in the Big Woods Poster Image

“Little House” has caused 5-year-old girl to understand the magic of books

This is the first time my granddaughter has begged to read more a book without pictures on every page. She fidgets and sometimes stands on her head but when I asked her to explain what I just read, she can always tell me I great detail. I searched for educational age-appropriate resources for kindergarten homeschool (necessitated by pandemic). “Little House” enhances our school day with interesting stories, U.S. history and social studies. It provides a platform to discuss racism, gender roles and the treatment of indigenous people. I edit as I read, omitting the word “darky” in a song and skipping some gory details of meat preparation. I plan to balance “Little House” with age-appropriate books written from viewpoints of children of slaves and native Americans. Any recommendations of such books will be appreciated.

Nice book to read with your 9 year old

I am currently reading the series with my 9 year old. We probably could have started it a year or two ago, but had a stack of other books to get through. Great for discussions on comparing our lives to those on the prairie. She seems to really enjoy them

Enjoyable for 4 year old if edited

Finished this with a sick just-turned-4-year-old in one day! She enjoyed it and was very keen on starting Little House on the Prairie today. I skipped over the racism (reference to "darkies"), the most blatant sexism, and the beating of children. I also shortened some of the lengthier descriptions of how some tasks and chores were carried out, like smoking the venison and the cheese making, but didn't have to do that as much as I thought I would. I didn't have to edit out all of the animal slaughter: she knows how meat gets to her plate and isn't bothered by it for now. She was happy to listen to the story of Grandpa and the panther, which I would've thought was too scary. The only thing that upset her was the picture of Clarence all wrapped up after being stung by the yellowjackets, "because he can't go and play."

Pretty good

It is pretty good. I read it to my 5 and 8 year old kids and they liked it for the most part. Some parts they found boring (and I did, too) but they liked it. There were parts that we discussed how things are different now. For example, how Laura so much dislikes her brown hair, how it was typical to smoke, how the kids were spanked, etc. The educational value is very good. It teaches history in an engaging way.

My favorite as a child

A wonderful story of the life of a pioneer family. Teaches the value of work and the simple pleasures of life.

The story is about a 4-year old girl. As long as the child has the attention span for chapter books, this should be a good one.

Even really young ones can love it.

I started reading this to my 3 year old and found that she LOVES it. She has certain chapters that she likes me to read over and over again, like each chapter is a self-contained book. I dont skip anything, but I do abbreviate certain parts that lose her attention (eg the detailed description of the smokehouse, how Pa cleans his gun and makes bullets, etc.) She can't sit still while I'm reading it (because there are no pictures to look at) but I know she's paying attention because we discuss it after we read. If you've got a child who loves being read to, you might be suprised how much they can get out of this book.

Wonderful story, great family discussions of older times

My girls loved the story and adventures of the sisters! It's never too early to expose children to historical references in a fun way!

Great series, fun, historical and great family values.

I remebr reading these as a little girl. I loved the spunk of Laura and her little adventures. I alos loved the history and being able to learn about life during the pioneer days. Now my daughter ahs read the series and is re-reading them becasue she enjoys them so much too!