Parent reviews for Lord of the Flies

Lord of the Flies Poster Image

Great book for deep discussion

I read this book in middle school and it was great for making me ask deep and theological questions about human nature. I got to have some great conversations with my son a few years ago when he read this book in 8th grade. Be forewarned, there is violence in this book.

1 person found this helpful.

the classic of savagery

I think this book was great if you can look past violence in language and you can see there's a true work of art in this story. there is a few gory scenes in which a character's head gets split open by a rock and a kid is burned alive although we never get confirmation. another kid is torn apart by Spears the book overall is a great literature piece but I don't think it'd be good for anybody who can't quite understand the morals. this book is about savagery and Law and Order in about how if we were left to our own devices with no adult around we would probably descend into savagery going to our animal instincts.

horrific

It's a disgusting book portraying a one sided and pessimistic view of humankind. It's disturbing and one of the worst books I've ever read. There are no deep analogies or anything of actual substance. It's simply a horrific account of meaningless violence among CHILDREN.

Depends on your child’s reading comprehension

This brings up so many educational questions about human nature and even today’s society. While it’s a little boring in some parts when you get past it, it will teach you valuable lessons.

Pretty good book

I think it would be pretty gory for my 13 year old good christian kid. He isn't ready for something like this. I try to keep him away from gory games on the xboxs.

Was forced to read this in middle school...

When I was in 7th grade I was forced to read this. At first I enjoyed it because of the violence and because I used to have violent tendencies as a kid. This book single handedly made my behavioral problems WORSE because it's central message is that as people we are naturally evil and violent and that if you are a child, you can kill your fellow children and as long as you are left alive, all will be forgiven. It's a disgusting piece of literature and it's a corrupting one at that. It's far worse than the Hunger Games because the main characters are not forced to kill each other, they choose to because of power. If I could rate 0 I would.

one of the worst books ive ever read

this book was absolute garbage, and it's so boring. my language arts teacher said this is her fav book, i can't see why. It's the literal most boring book on this earth, i don't see how anyone likes this book. Trash.

the book is so bloated with unnecessary words and words that dont make any sense. for example ' a cracked twig and what might be the impression of one side of a hoof. He lowered his chin and stared at the traces as though he would force them to speak to him. Then dog-like, uncomfortably on all fours yet unheeding his discomfort, he stole forward five yards and stopped. Here was loop of creeper with a tendril pendant from a node. The tendril was polished on the underside' its too bloated and is not worthwhile for todays kids to read

Not for everyone, but understandably a Classic.

I am personally not a big fan of this book. I think it is an interesting book to think about and discuss, but there wasn't a whole lot to keep me invested in the story. Great concept, decent execution, pretty dry writing. It didn't end where I thought (and hoped) it was going to. I also recommend NOT listening to it on audiobook because William Goulding's voice will drive you nuts!

Great Read

Great book and an easy read. I finished the book in four days. Welcome to a world where kids are stranded on an Island. Meet Jack, Ralph, Roger, Piggy, and Samneric. These characters will captivate you and also break your heart!