Kid reviews for Lord of the Flies

Lord of the Flies Poster Image

Did not like it that much

It was ok just gory and violent. I can get pretty messed up when it comes to deaths and I can get a bit depressed. I had to read this in school and hated it. If you are sensitive to violence like this definitely DO NOT read this! Overall the book was dark and messed up especially since theres literally child murder and bulling.

Disappointing and boring.

I think that this book is very boring. I tried to give this book a chance, but that chance was not long-lasting. Between the kids calling a boy "fat", and them putting a stake in a pig head... its not the best.

Good book, but only if you look into it

LOTF is a beautiful book, even if i found the writing style not to my tastes sometimes. However, a big issue ive encountered with people/educators who have read this book is that they dont look into it– like at all. Always classifying Ralph as the "good guy" and Jack as the antagonist, when it's never that black and white. Therefore, if you plan to read the book, go into it with an open mind, and remember that not everything is black and white (Jack isnt evil! look into it!)

Really good book

people should be reading this more

Some Violence

I definitely think a younger child could understand this but there is quite a bit of violence so I think it’s better for preteens and older.

Very sad but educational

I’m a teenager and I cried over it. It’s very sad, but it’s excellent from an educational point of view. I would recommend it for people looking to expand their knowledge and vocabulary.

Insightful Read

This book portrays a more cynical approach to how humans work. As a more natural optimist, I absolutely loved this read. Almost all of the characters have symbolic meanings behind them if you care to look, there's two very big objects that are really good points of speculation (haha get it? Cuz Piggy's glasses are one of them) that get you thinking. If you came to this book expecting boring, I promise that if you pay attention it isn't. The plot (Jack mainly) genuinely got me worried for the boys at certain points. The 'good' and the 'bad' guys are shown very well, indeed showing that all of the characters are really in the gray. The transition to their descent of madness is very apparent even in the first chapter to be good. However- some of these scenes will make you grossed out/concerned. The author is very...generous with its gore, so if that isn't your thing you might want to sit out on this one. In conclusion, I loved this! Fun to theorize about what would've happened if the ending had been differently. (Oh, and there's a sequel too! It's titled The Second Flight)

In my opinion, half decent

The book isn't meant to be entertaining. I have read other reviews stating that it was 'boring'. The idea of the book is to capture humanity's inner evil. Golding had experienced war as a soldier and has watched people die before his eyes. He wrote this book to prove a point concerning human society and nature.

Lord of the Flies

Lord of the Flies is a timeless classic for quite a good reason, as its parallels to society and government remain true and relevant to this day. William Golding’s classic masterpiece is an accurate depiction of the intricacies and tendencies of government and society as a whole, portrayed through the group of small boys stranded on a deserted island without adult supervision. I firmly believe that anyone who is interested in government and the subsequent power struggles will enjoy the boys’ attempts at governing themselves. Golding fills the story with meaningful symbolism that resembles a modern government, and there is a lot that can be learned from this story. The main theme of the story also explores the human tendency to fall into savagery when left to their own devices, as shown by the transformation of innocent British boys into bloodthirsty savages. I should also mention the story becomes rather dark and violent as it progresses, but I think it is still a book everyone should read at some point in their life. The premise of the story is British schoolboys stranded on an island without adult supervision. The lack of adult supervision is essential to the story because it allows Golding to explore the power struggles within their attempt at government, and the battle between order and savagery is a common theme throughout the book, most often seen through the conflicts between Ralph and Jack. The persuasion tactics they use to rally boys to their different groups closely parallel promises and tactics used by modern politicians. Also, if one isn’t reading into the symbolism of the story and the points Golding makes, it is a rather slow-paced story until the last 50 or so pages. The characters within the story are very rich and interesting, and I think that you can gain a much deeper understanding of the story by tracking each character’s progression throughout the story. Golding does an impeccable job of portraying certain characters as worthy of sympathy or not, and it is quite surprising who you may end up sympathizing for. Lord of the Flies is a classic novel for a good reason, and there is so much that can be learned from the different points William Golding makes about society and government. The book is extremely rich in symbolism, and it still parallels modern society, despite being originally published in 1954. I think it is a timeless masterpiece that everyone should read, and it is only 224 pages, meaning it won’t take someone very long to read.

amazing

i loved it. some people seem to hate it for no reason, its pretty sad though. but overall, i would suggest this book to anyone.