Parent reviews for Peter Pan

Peter Pan Poster Image

Did you sleep in the window again

Tinker Bell continues using the word "ass" when Peter "is being stupid," according to a parent review. Parents may think "orgy" is sexual, but probably meant a religious ceremony at the time the book was published (1904). Wendy asks about "spinsters" and believes they "should be envied" during her time with the Lost Boys in Never Land (the term meant women who made clothes).

Kids will enjoy it, but won't understand the dark undertones.

The only non-child friendly element of this novel is Tinker Bell's constant use of A-word when Peter is being stupid. Parents may misinterpret the word "orgy" as being profane, but considering the context and time period, it most likely meant a religious ceremony. J.M. Barrie also describes multiple battle scenes between Peter Pan's crew and the pirates or the Pickaninny natives. These scenes rarely graphically depict injuries or death, save for the sporadic mentions of Hook's oddly colored blood. Darker topics regarding Peter's desire to stay young forever and Wendy's questioning of society's expectations of women at the time (she constantly thinks that "spinsters are to be envied" during her time darning stockings for the Lost Boys) will go over the heads of children. However, the tales of Peter's adventures will keep them entertained.

Warning: the book is DIFFERENT from the Disney movie

(Spoiler Alert) I read this out loud to our family on the way to Disney World. I had to do some verbal editing as I read because there are a variety of things that I did not want to read to my 8 year old. There are words used that did not seem appropriate for children. The other word for donkey is used more than a handful of times. It describes Tinkerbell wearing a negligee. It also has a LOT of violence, describing killing and other villainous acts. I know it is a classic, but I just want to warn other parents that this is not the same story that Disney tells us. I completely skipped the half-page near the end where it describes how Tinkerbell is dead... I think that would have devastated my daughter! Also, Peter Pan is really not very likable in the book - he is very self-centered and sort of an anti-role model.

When I read this book, I wished I had read it sooner!

I cry every time I read the end of Peter Pan. This book has everything good in it! Perfect read-aloud: you'll enjoy it just as much as your children!

Simply a classic.

"Peter Pan" has always been a favorite as far as the classic children's stories go. This {story} is great for children of all ages. Teenagers and adults will continue to find new meaning in this timeless story. Something everyone can relate to.