Parent reviews for Shiloh

Shiloh Poster Image

Great book.

I have read this book many different years with groups of fourth graders. I wanted to write a review after reading the others submitted so far. Judd is shown to use bad language within the book (and chew and drink beer) because Judd is a bad guy and these are things used by the author to drive home the point that Judd is the bad guy in the story. I always tell my students that there are a few bad words in the book before we read it, but that we are mature people and we know that they aren't words that we would (or should) say. I also tell them I've heard the same and worse walking through Wal-Mart. Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater - the story itself and the internal struggle that the main character Marty goes through do show strength of character and trying to stay true to the values with which he has been raised.

1 person found this helpful.

The review from Common Sense Media doesn't mention that there is cussing in this children's book. Not okay.

Great book

I think "Shiloh" is a great book for children 9 and up, because it teaches people how do animals feel when they get treated badly from their owner. And when you hide something that you don't want no body to know about. In the story/movie you will see how a dog(Shiloh) is treated bad by its owner(Judd Travers), and a boy named Marty try's to save him.

Teaches kids compassion

There are 4 bad words that need to be removed: Page 16 & 53 H***; Page 26 & 54 D***** Once those words are covered or whited-out we had no problem, children do have to understand there are not nice people in this world and that people abuse animals and other people; and we can do something about it.

Shiloh

It is about a boy who finds dog and becomes attached . His parents found out and the boy gives the dog back to the owner. The man drinks and smokes and cheats. The dog comes back to the boy so he makes a pen for the dog.He puts himself in peril. A great book.

Change Is Possible

It allows children to consider both sides of a person's personality/attitude. They reflect on changing for the good and to help others.

Awesome Book

This Book May Contain Drinking,Smoking,Violence,And Language But This Book Is Still Awesome

perfect for kids 8+

I LOVE THIS BOOK EVER SINCE I WAZ IN SCHOOL I DID A BOOK REPEORT ON TIS BOOK!!!

Contains some bad language, but overall a good book.

It is a really good book, but there are some words and phrases that my daughter is not allowed to use. There were even some that she was not yet familiar with. The language made her uncomfortable.