Kid reviews for Shine

Shine Poster Image

Based on 1 review

Good book

Some people think this book is really inappropriate but I read this book when I was 10 in 5th grade and it didn't affect me at all.

Fine For 13 Year Olds

I question how much attention the CSM reviewer paid while reading this book or how much they comprehended it. I noticed several small inaccuracies in the review that may sway parents to be more wary of the book than they might be if provided correct information. Anyway, I just finished reading the whole book in one day at age 14. (Because I’m a rebel). I understood the book in full. I also managed to walk away untraumatized by the heavy themes within the story. Moving on, there was no shooting death in the book. A teen high on meth with a gun shoots at another teen and an 11 year old and slips and falls to his death. There was no pregnant teen, either. The language in the book is not gratuitous and serves to paint the setting, convey the tone of events occurring, and be realistic, obviously. Nobody does a better job of emphasizing the destructive nature of meth than the author here.

Lots of violence and strong language but a good book overall