All member reviews for The 39 Clues Series

Exciting mystery, heavily merchandised.

Kid, 11 years old Written byamyrosegal October 29, 2011

REALLY GOOD

This is actually more educational than you might think. And it shows anyone can do anyothing! It is very violent though.....

Teen, 14 years old Written byh8rPatrol December 21, 2010

Kid, 11 years old Written byjayman1004 November 26, 2011

GREAT!!!

Lots of consumerism, but one of the best series I've ever read.

Parent Written byLucille01 June 8, 2012

Great adventure/mystery series for kids

I have read books 1-3,5, 8 & 10 with my 8 year old son. Yes they are far fetched and tempt kids to buy the cards, but otherwise they are great. I emphatically disagree with the previous reviewer's critique of the plot. They are written for children, not adults! The plot is just fine for that age and even slightly over my son's head on rare occasions. I have enjoyed them as much as he has and highly recommend them. The only reservation I have is the attempted and real violence written about. It isn't descriptive or repeatable but it may be disturbing for some children to read about someone's parents being dead in a fire or their grandmother dying and attending the funeral. Just know your child and use this as a teachable moment if needed.

Kid, 11 years old Written byjojopuffball January 28, 2012

book

it is pretty good even though i havent read it yet!

Parent of a 4 and 9 year old Written byironman2 May 17, 2010

Violent for 8

Great series for 9 year olds but some content not for kids

Educator and Parent of a 11 year old Written byRunesong February 15, 2013

Proceed with Caution!

Book 1 only: Overall, this IS an exciting, fast paced, secret agent/action-thriller type story written on a middle school reading level with a little educational material thrown in as the main characters race through museums, historical sites, & exotic locals around the world. However, in addition to the less realistic (& less detailed) fighting & general mayhem, there are several dramatic incidents of over-the-top, intentionally shocking violence that may be cause for more than a little concern.
The first takes place while Dan & Amy are under attack by would-be kidnappers in ski masks, both physically & at gun point. Amy defends herself & neutralizes the gun threat using martial arts, but Dan ultimately ends the attack by threatening to set their attackers on fire with gasoline & a lighter. On the positive side, another teen (Amy's new boyfriend) is considerably disturbed by this incident & there is some brief discussion about how a kid could even think of lighting another human being on fire. It is unclear, even to Dan, whether he would have actually been able to follow through on the threat or not.
The next area of concern is when the kids, unknowingly & though no fault of their own, deliver the wrong ransom to the kidnappers who are now holding their family & friends hostage. The kidnappers retaliate immediately & without discussion by shooting, though not killing, one of the more likeable hostages & sending a video of the incident to Dan & Amy. The cold, matter-of-fact way this is done forcibly induces feelings of helplessness & loss of control over the reader as well as the main characters. On a positive note, the reactions of the other characters, again, provide a sharp, humanistic contrast to the shear brutality of the incident & do a fairly good job of demonstrating critical thinking skills when they evaluate their circumstances & come up with logical approaches & solutions. Later on, the hostages are cruelly forced to remove the bullet themselves, which has been left “to fester” in the victim’s wound further illustrating the callousness of their kidnappers. This task, which falls primarily to the youngest member of the group, proves to be a difficult one & is somewhat gruesomely detailed.
At the end of this book, a lady dies by lethal injection in the arms of the children which brings at least one of them to their emotional brink as the “reality” of the situation & the mounting death toll begin to sink in.

Kid, 12 years old Written by*rOxTaRr4eVeR* July 1, 2012

Good series, good stuff alongside

I think this is a really good series for children (not too young though). One of my favorite things is that each book (and its cards) host some kind of intriguing puzzle for the kids to figure out-this is great for puzzle skills and is fun to do with some friends, too. Each book also focuses on some kind of geographical/historical theme which goes really in depth and even I've learned quite a bit from these books! They are fast, fun and short, making them ideal for kids who don't like to read lots. Then, there's the website, which kids will love-but you may want to supervise them as they could end up with some negative influences (things like lock picking, theft, and being too nosy). Overall, good for children who are older and more responsivbe.

Kid, 7 years old October 11, 2011

inappropriate content for children

Into the Guantlet book number 10 is the only book I've read and these books are now banded from our home. The most upsetting part: we bought this at a Scholastic Book Fair @ school!
The book talks about a Isabel, who "murdered" Amy and Dan's parents and that the girl tried to kill Amy and Dan and threatened them as well. HowDan wanted to beat her up and throw her in jail? This is all on page 10. On page 17 / 18 it discusses how Isabel was grateful that those brats were still alive and this way she could dream up crueler ways to kill them.
Page 268 discusses Isabel shooting Amy in the foot, then pointing the gun at her head, then Aistair's chest and then at Natalie's back. And this book is appropriate for grades 3 - 7???

Kid, 10 years old Written byReader01 March 23, 2010

a mystery, an adventure, and well-thought book

well-thought, well-written and thrilling. there is excitement on every page. There is some historic details. The whole idea is very unique, it is almost like a movie written on paper. Pure excitement and pure mystery.

Kid, 9 years old Written bydragonsrule March 8, 2009

Great lead to a great series

AWESOME!!! I totally loved this book, so did my 7 year-old sister! I have enjoyed the other books that are out, 'One False Note' and 'The Sword Thief'. I like how the author switches from book to book, it really keeps the story going and leaves you hanging, as you don't know what to expect from this new author. As the book is connected to a web site it is attracting to hesitant readers.

Kid, 10 years old Written bytwlightgrl January 4, 2009

really cool!

I think this book was great! I, was trying to figure out the clues. It was so good,I read it in a day!Its approprit as long as you can read!

Kid, 11 years old Written byIrina Carter January 28, 2012

cool

good books and love them

Teen, 14 years old Written byheykaygirl November 21, 2008

GREAT

I liked even though I'm a little old! It was a great and appropriate book!

Kid, 10 years old Written bydiary789 May 4, 2010

. Perfect for older kids, but not for tweens

hi

Kid, 10 years old Written bypie or pie March 7, 2010

I GUESS ITS GOOD

ONE OF MY FREINDS LOVES 39 CLUES BOOKS I THINK I MIGHT LIKE THEM ALSO I DONT KNOW I HAVE NOT READ ANY OF THEM PS BY THE WAY I FOUND ALFRED KROPP BOOK 2 ITS GOOD OH AND ONE THING NOT TO SPOIL IT BUT MIKE ARNOLDS BACK!!!!!!!!!

Kid, 10 years old September 8, 2013

Great book

This is a great book. Though lots of violence is involved, Amy and Dan always find a smart way through it.

Teen, 13 years old Written byb0bthesheep123 March 2, 2010

Great for kids with a sense of mystery

This is one of the best books I gave ever read, and I have read a lot of books. My friends and i sit on he bus discussing clues, looking at the trading cards they come with trying to find every little secret and clue we can.

Kid, 11 years old Written by♥UndeadRainbows♥™ September 28, 2009

pointless

Two words: Really. Boring. So I was able to pick out ANY book at Border's the other day, and I chose this one of course. I get home, climb into bed, open the book, and I'm content and pleased. Until I opened this book. It's way TOO overpriced for it's content and is too hard to follow. Waste of twenty dollars. Sorry dad.

Kid, 9 years old Written bynathant March 20, 2009

Great new series!

This book had great writing and a superb plot, coming from a great author (Rick Riordan). The characters were very creative in the way they found clues. I really enjoyed this book -- a must read!