Kid reviews for The Catcher in the Rye

The Catcher in the Rye Poster Image

profound yet humorous.

a lot of the reviews here mention the following: sex profanity drinking/smoking i mean, the age demographic that this book attempted to reach out to know goddamn well that sex, swears, alcoholic beverages and smoking exist. hell, the majority of teens reading this book have done at least one of the things mentioned above. also, a few reviews i encountered mentioned that they dont appreciate the lords name being said often. for gods sake, its a teen we're talking about. holden caulfield is a teenager. he payed for a prostitute, smoked in front of his sister, and skips school yet you're disappointed that he says goddamn? damn. profanity is something i have become well accustomed to at school. this book is no different than what i hear in the hallways daily. the message of the book is truly important and i encourage everyone who can to read this book, especially as a teen.

1 person found this helpful.

An interesting look into a disturbed mind

I found this a fun, rather easy book to read. It is made clear that the narrator has some sort of mental illness and is now undergoing treatment. He has a clear lack of respect for authority or education. There is plenty profanity, constant use of the phrase sonuvab**** and the words a**, s**t, and f***. There is also alcohol abuse without consequences, and the main character almost has sex with prostitute. I really enjoyed reading his views of the world, constantly saying people are phonies, which some parents might not agree with.

Overall, An Okay Book

So let me start off by saying that once I had finished this book, I felt overwhelmed by the fact that such an outdated teenage life could be filled with so much troubles. I enjoyed the little humor there was and how Salinger painted a vivid picture of Holden's life, but I have to say there was a LOT of swearing as well as a lot of drinking. I know most of the audience out there must be 13+ but I was looking for a read and came across this book. So i'm not saying that this book is terrible. It was nice, but overall I'd only give it three stars because it really lacked a sole focus.

Catcher In The Rye- A Child's Point of View

I'm 12 years old myself, and I'm currently reading this book. It's extremely interesting, and I don't see how people might think it innapropriate. I've passed the part of which I cannot mention, I realize it isn't exactly for children... But an 11yr old is well beyond capable of reading something of this level. Some people cannot comprehend (mainly adults) that children don't realize what's out there in the world, they also don't realize that children can surpass the of a normal level of smartness for their age. No matter what the case is, like the old saying, you can't judge a book by its cover!

Decent Book

I was really excited to be assigned this book for school. I was somewhat dissapointed after reading though. I can appreciate the ahead-of-its-time writing style which combats mental health struggles and societal values from the unique perspective of Holden Caulfield. However, I didn't particularly like it's protagonist and found a hard time wanting to root for him. I could relate to some of his opinions, but in others ways I struggled to understand his negative feelings about everyone and thing that came into his life. The book does not follow the typical story arch which confused me for a little while as I kept waiting for the climax that passed by almost undetected. Although I'm not someone who needs a happy ending to be pleased with a book, I wished that Holden had matured or learned anything over the course of his story. The ending leaves him right where he started and the reader somewhat unsatisfied. Despite all of this, I'm glad to have been able to add this American classic to my list of books I've read. After reading, I have been able to see Salinger's influence on other authors and Holden's influence on other characters.

def read, but maybe a bit over rated (?)

I only rated it 14+ bc if you read it any younger it just won’t mean as much. And even tho I thought it was realistic and the writing was really unique, I’m not sure it’s really “one of the best literary works of the 20th century”. Sorry (!) but I just think it’s a teeny bit overated. Still really good tho, and quite thought provoking.

Great book

I absolutely love this book. I just recently read it for the first time after getting it for Christmas, and it did not disappoint. Many people can’t see past the overall mature theme and strong language usage throughout the book. Holden is an unlikeable character navigating life. Just like life, this book doesn’t have a true “theme”. Overall, I would 100% recommend this book for any teenager as long as they’re comfortable with and able to handle the themes and language in this book.

Sigh

I don't really care what anybody says, as a 17 year old, I enjoyed this. Everybody calls me an old soul. So, this book was good in my opinion. Y'all are not understanding the meaning of this book. This helped me find who I was, and what I was. It shapes you. Realize right from wrong. Don't call this horrible, for that is an offense.

Worst novel I've ever read

I'm not exaggerating when I say that this is the worst book I've ever read. Terrible character, uninteresting/aimless plot and an absurd number of curse words. Listen, swear words can seriously improve writing and add intensity but this book is absolutely littered with "goddam" and "ass." It's just a lazy excuse for bad vocabulary that gets annoying after the first few chapters. This book also has terrible messaging when it comes to sex. Holden (the protagonist) pays for a prostitute and generally talks about women in a disgusting way. He also somewhat "regrets" not raping women in the past - sad even for the 50s. Overall a bad book. Just save your time.

this book is literally the greatest book ever

My entire philosophy is based of this book. I love it