Parent reviews for The Girl Who Drank the Moon

The Girl Who Drank the Moon Poster Image

Rich story with hopeful and dark themes

I really liked this book and so did my 10-11 year old fantasy reader. It has some pretty dark themes - a town run by controlling people who feed off other people's despair and are willing to keep the population miserable through deprivation and child sacrifice. But it also has the counterpoint of a do-gooding, self-sacrificing witch and "monsters" that act to counter balance the darker practices. I think the dark themes are more disturbing to me as an adult than they would have been to me as a child, where they would have read as basic fairy-tale evil. I like how the protagonist characters work to improve the community and fight the wrongs they see as they come to understand more. THere is no sex or swearing, some emotional and physical violence - a magical attack leaves a character physically scarred, a character goes insane at the loss of her child, a characters bullies and terrifies subordinates.

1 person found this helpful.

Great book, but there are some heavy themes for younger kids

I read this book yesterday because my 8 & 6 year olds want to read it. Both are very advanced readers so I like to read things first to make sure that the content is ok for a younger child. The biggest iffy thing to me is the whole Protectorate civilization where the elders manipulate the villagers by taking the youngest born infant every year and leaving it in the woods as a sacrifice to the witch because they are told that is the only way to keep her from coming to kill them all...but really it’s just the elders trying to keep everyone scared enough to control. The witch is a good witch who takes the “sacrificed” babies & brings them to a better village/family every year, so nothing bad actually happens to them, but the parents of the children don't know that. They are suffering/going insane because they think their children are being sent off to die and the elders feed off of that. Some kind of dark & heavy themes for younger children in my opinion. There really isn't much violence...the only real event that I can recall is when a man gets his face shredded by razor sharp magical paper cranes. Most of the rest is implied violence: the elders talk about having to kill people who are a problem or question things, there are torture chambers and people talk about people screaming & crying in the night, the main character goes off with intentions of slitting the throat of the witch. Overall the book has many positive messages: standing up for what you believe in, the importance of family, the power of hope/love/forgiveness. I think we are going to put this one up on the shelf for a little while and wait until they ask about it again. I think there are better choices for my girls at this moment (because really they are still super young) but we will revisit it again in a year or so I'm sure.

1 person found this helpful.

Wonderful fantasy that will need parental explanation for independent readers

EXCELLENT fantasy with wonderful life lessons. There is some violence but mostly there is the threat of violence, so it may feel more violent to some readers than to others. The author paints pictures with her words, which read like poetry. The structure of the book reminds me of reading As I Lay Dying in college, which confused me because the point of view or narrator changes with each chapter. If your child is going to read this book independently, have a discussion about this in advance and they will enjoy it EVER so much more. The ending of the book made me feel the way I did at the very end of The Chronicles of Narnia. WONDERFUL!!!

I love that book!

A very interesting and creative book but sometimes it is a little boring and some parts are useless. But it is a very very good book, I love it!

Amazing Book for Kids that Love Magic!

My 13 year old daughter told me how much she loved this books and how she wanted me to read it. I did and it was an amazing book. Their is a great message and great role models. The only thing that parents should know about is that people leave a baby in the woods to die each year.

Fantastic fantasy book

Any one can enjoy the wonders of this book. It is such a whimsical and fantastical story.The book is written so well you really feel like your there. This is a tale of love, magic and the power of family. It is eerily mysterious and heart breakingly beautiful in a way you have never experienced.

Great fantasy with focus on love

Character are strong and insightful. Good story. Interesting for 4th graders. Holds their attention. Xan is a good example of tough choices and motherly love. Beautiful vocabulary.

Fantasy Newbery Medal Book with Heavy and Violent Themes

This book is interesting and has a good flow but is based on the horrendous practice of infanticide where a yearly ritual is to leave a newborn baby in the forest to die or be killed in order to appease the witch and save the village. But wait...the witch does not kill the babies; she gives them to perfect-matching parents in a different village, while the original parents go mad. This theme really bothered me while reading the book, and colored my appreciation for anything good that happens in the story.

Very good - warning: adoption triggers

This is an excellent book with narnia-scale gospel symbolism. As an adoptive mom, however, I suspect this could cause some serious feelings for children with adoption-rooted identity questions. The ending ties it together in the best way possible, but, of course, most of our kids don’t get the happy ending (bio fam + adopted fam) offered in this story. Read it with your kid if that’s part of their story.