Parent reviews for The Girl Who Drank the Moon

The Girl Who Drank the Moon Poster Image

Rich story with hopeful and dark themes

I really liked this book and so did my 10-11 year old fantasy reader. It has some pretty dark themes - a town run by controlling people who feed off other people's despair and are willing to keep the population miserable through deprivation and child sacrifice. But it also has the counterpoint of a do-gooding, self-sacrificing witch and "monsters" that act to counter balance the darker practices. I think the dark themes are more disturbing to me as an adult than they would have been to me as a child, where they would have read as basic fairy-tale evil. I like how the protagonist characters work to improve the community and fight the wrongs they see as they come to understand more. THere is no sex or swearing, some emotional and physical violence - a magical attack leaves a character physically scarred, a character goes insane at the loss of her child, a characters bullies and terrifies subordinates.

1 person found this helpful.

Wonderful fantasy that will need parental explanation for independent readers

EXCELLENT fantasy with wonderful life lessons. There is some violence but mostly there is the threat of violence, so it may feel more violent to some readers than to others. The author paints pictures with her words, which read like poetry. The structure of the book reminds me of reading As I Lay Dying in college, which confused me because the point of view or narrator changes with each chapter. If your child is going to read this book independently, have a discussion about this in advance and they will enjoy it EVER so much more. The ending of the book made me feel the way I did at the very end of The Chronicles of Narnia. WONDERFUL!!!

I love that book!

A very interesting and creative book but sometimes it is a little boring and some parts are useless. But it is a very very good book, I love it!

Amazing Book for Kids that Love Magic!

My 13 year old daughter told me how much she loved this books and how she wanted me to read it. I did and it was an amazing book. Their is a great message and great role models. The only thing that parents should know about is that people leave a baby in the woods to die each year.

Fantastic fantasy book

Any one can enjoy the wonders of this book. It is such a whimsical and fantastical story.The book is written so well you really feel like your there. This is a tale of love, magic and the power of family. It is eerily mysterious and heart breakingly beautiful in a way you have never experienced.

Great fantasy with focus on love

Character are strong and insightful. Good story. Interesting for 4th graders. Holds their attention. Xan is a good example of tough choices and motherly love. Beautiful vocabulary.

Fantasy Newbery Medal Book with Heavy and Violent Themes

This book is interesting and has a good flow but is based on the horrendous practice of infanticide where a yearly ritual is to leave a newborn baby in the forest to die or be killed in order to appease the witch and save the village. But wait...the witch does not kill the babies; she gives them to perfect-matching parents in a different village, while the original parents go mad. This theme really bothered me while reading the book, and colored my appreciation for anything good that happens in the story.

Very good - warning: adoption triggers

This is an excellent book with narnia-scale gospel symbolism. As an adoptive mom, however, I suspect this could cause some serious feelings for children with adoption-rooted identity questions. The ending ties it together in the best way possible, but, of course, most of our kids don’t get the happy ending (bio fam + adopted fam) offered in this story. Read it with your kid if that’s part of their story.

quite dark

I just finished this as an adult read and really enjoyed it. I would describe the book as quite dark. It reminds me of a more mystical Hunger Games. I would not think my 10 yr old daughter would be quite ready for this. I would recommend for tween to teen age. Things don't really turn around for any character in the book until the last few chapters...after page 300. It is a magical book and beautifully written but has a somber tone throughout.