Parent reviews for The Little Prince

The Little Prince Poster Image

A classic that children can understand better than you think

Though it sometimes meditates on complex topics the fact of the matter is that many of the ideas that this book dwells on are not ideas that are going to be unfamiliar to children. On the contrary, I feel that a child will be more familiar with the concepts presented here than adults who have forgotten what it was like to live in a world of made up rules and bizarre rituals. Overall a wonderful book for all ages.

1 person found this helpful.

NOT for sensitive children BE WARNED - wish I had researched this one!

This started out being a delightful fun bed time read aloud to my 9 year old son. Yet when we came to the snake scene it brought him to tears and I glossed over it saying the Little Prince was fine and just wanted to go back to his planet to see his flower. We didn't finish. I read the last chapters and decided not read it to him (even though he was curious). The most I could get out of him is that he was sad that the Little Prince had to leave his friend. I sure hope he didn't understand it could be viewed as "suicide." I had read this years ago in French class and really didn't remember it as being so sad near the end. He was not sure why it made him sad but seemed concerned that the Little Prince was okay. We discussed that he felt the Little Prince might be lonely and that made him sad. I said maybe the Little Prince had more adventures to distract him. He insisted I check to see if he could continue writing the adventures of the LIttle Prince. He wanted me to check that it was "legal"to add another part to the author's book.. He finally fell asleep.

Never Forgetting

The Little Prince is an eye opener for a more mature audience. The Little Prince is an oracle of how children perceive the world. The story tells of how upsetting the change of thought process is from child to adult. Adults thought process in the story is always straight forward, and practical. A reflection on how growing up has narrowed ones mind into only being able to focus on what is "essential". As in, a necessary way of living.

Amazing story. For open-minded adults and kids :)

I am a 18 year old girl. I read The Little Prince about 3 months ago and I fell in love with the book. I believe that this is an amazing story,very eye-opening. I listen sto the audiobook every now and then and I would recommend it to everyone!

The best 80 pages I've ever read!

This book is flat-out amazing. It is amazing how the author, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, managed to make a book that combined superb prose with stellar illustrations, and the result is a stoically marvelous, extremely imaginative novel. It's very short, so bring another book home from the library along with this one. Though "The Little Prince" was obviously written for children, all ages should be able to savor the poetic writing. Adults will especially enjoy the eye-candy that lurks on many of the pages. It would be hard to find another classic that includes a line/lines so imaginative as: "His planet had three volcanoes, two active and one dormant. He used the active ones for warming his breakfast, and the dormant one as a footstool." Kudos to Saint-Exupery.

An especially beautiful literary expression of suicide

An especially beautiful literary expression of suicide.