All member reviews for The Lovely Bones

Teen, 13 years old Written byvegetarianwrath May 7, 2011

Not for Little Kids

I am 13, and I love this book. I have it on paperback, and I read it whenever I am bored. While I say it is a very entertaining book, it may be disturbing for little kids and even adults. I love it, but you should have a certain attitude when reading this book, like being on your best behavior.

Adult Written bymoviemadness December 29, 2009

A Deeply Disturbing Spin on Real Tragedy

A child raped and then dismembered by a serial killer in her own backyard. Isn't that a story you would go at great lengths to protect your child from if it were aired on the news? I certainly hope so. The Lovely Bones is a fictional account of the former, and a mediocrely written one at that. Alice Sebold's voyeuristic tale allows us to watch, in horrifying detail, the grief and utter destruction of an American family, as their murdered daughter looks on from above, hoping for justice. Please, parents, this is not a book that anyone shoud read. The desolate nightmare within is too heavy and taxing for any audience, much less anyone in the 12-18 age bracket.

Teen, 13 years old Written byskiergirl202 November 19, 2010

This book is really really good. The book is very detailed in some parts(not the best detail as in concerns). But over all it is a great book.

Kid, 12 years old Written byjasonlall9 August 27, 2010

Ouch. Violent disturbing read is truly excellent. One of my favorite books.

Teen, 14 years old Written bynickiminaj5 July 22, 2010

I loved the book.very sad though.

I am reading this book and it is very sad.But it is still a very good book and i like it but very sad because the girl in the book was raped and murdered and cut into pieces by her murder.I think it would be ok for an eleven year old to read based on how mature you are.

Teen, 14 years old Written bylilspikerchick May 9, 2011

I loved this book & the movie! As i scroll through the other comments, I see that many of the kids didnt really like it because it had alot of bad language and etc. But some books you read are going to have bad things in it. The book taught a lesson and kind of tied in with the author's own events she had while she was in college. It relates because YES she was raped by this guy in an alley that a girl was raped before and the girl died there. It tells you that you shouldnt always trust people even if they are your neighbors. MY teacher recommended this book to me and my mom went and bought it for me. She personally didnt have a problem with me reading it OR looking at the movie. I would recommend this book to teens because it does teach you an IMPORTANT lesson and its such a good book.

Teen, 13 years old Written byiamjustinbieber... February 26, 2011

NO KIDS ALOWD

This book was sad, mysteriouse, suspenseful, gross, sickening, and great all at the same time. But jus to warn everyone due to languge and mature themes like sex, rape, and murder........ THIS BOOK IS ONLY FOR TEENS AND OLDER! NO KIDS ALOWD!

Teen, 16 years old Written bycrazy4bre February 10, 2011

i read this book when i was 11. Its alright but you have to be mature enough to handle some of the things that happens in it.

Teen, 16 years old Written byHoundLover May 22, 2011

Loved it!

10-11 is when you start to learn about sexual interactment. This book definetly has that! I am actually 10, and I read it... Loved it! I'm mature for my age, so I was aloud to read it... But other than that, I LOVED that book! It has a happy-sad mixed ending, and I cried. It showed that, to pass through life as a happy human, you have to let go of death. Anyways, loved it, cherished it!

Kid, 11 years old Written byMovieLover4Life October 17, 2010

Great for sick people out of their mind! NOT for kids!

I saw the movie first and thought "WOW! I LOVED the movie! I think i will try reading the book." I read it. I was shocked when i finished. It was TOTALLY inapropriate. I still can not believe we have it in our school library! It grossed me out. I can not believe my older cuzin is reading it. She must be sick and out of her mind....NOT for kids! I regret reading this book.... I rated it a bad=1 star I would really rate it 0 stars. And, YES it WAS that bad!

Teen, 15 years old Written byOGORMAN May 4, 2011

Grim story makes you feel... honestly? A little depressed.

I can honestly say that I didn't like this book, not that that means I don't recommend it. Just because I didn't enjoy it doesn't mean someone else won't. Here, let me do this, if you like to read about: a raping/murdering pedophile, a girl telling you (from heaven itself!) that heaven is not as good as she thought it would be, an adulterous mother (you'll be surprised who the guy is!!), and a father who's written off as a lunatic even though he's completely right about his daughter's murder then go ahead and read this book. A fair warning to you, this book does not start out happy... it does not end happily either. I'm not at all putting down the writing technique or skill level of Ms. Sebold, but I just did not have that good feeling I usually get when reading while reading this book.

Teen, 14 years old Written byTeenBookReviews May 14, 2011

Perfect for young adults.

I am 14 years old and I just finished this book. It's a great book even if it has really strong content.

Teen, 14 years old Written by-insert usernam... October 18, 2010

Great for mature teens.

I completely disagree with the person below me; but I'll let them have an opinion, as I do. The amount of...graphic imagery in the book can be disturbing. The language isn't awful, but it still deserves a warning. Overall a good book in my opinion (I loved it) but the parents should generally be the the ones to decide if their children can read it.

Teen, 16 years old Written bytkn_714 May 12, 2010

for older teens, no one younger than 15

This book was good. It was kind of sad and confusing but the story came through and I understood it. At first I thought it was just about her dying but later revealed her family's coping with her death and her killer not being captured.

Teen, 14 years old Written byAlinaW. April 10, 2010

The first 50 pages were saddening, but the stuff that follows was an amazing story of hope!

As soon as my friend bought the book I knew I had to read it. At first I was concerned, because the movie was supposed to be a pshycological horror movie, not my type at all. The book, however, was amazing! I love how unique it was, and how it describes Susie above in heven, watching over her family and friends! Although I definetly wouldn't classify it as horror, I wouldn't read the first bit before bed, if you know what I mean. Especially emotional because I'm a 14 year old girl, just like Susie.

Kid, 12 years old Written byKaiyaROX37 June 1, 2010

Maturity

I showed my friends the rape/dismemberment part and they thought it was really gross. Any mature tween like me will be able to handle this book and not get grossed out... Just my opinion, though!

Teen, 13 years old Written byk1026am January 7, 2010

the lovely bones

LOVE IT!!!!! it was the best book ever!!!!

Parent of a 13 year old Written bycaramelcherry77 July 10, 2010

This Book Is Heart Wrenching

I think it is a very good read. Gripping . Scary to imagine and very bold on the author's part to write something so personal. I could feel the author's own story as 'Suzie' told her story.

Parent of a 13 year old Written bycavenoid August 2, 2010

Good for those struggling with loss, rape, death, murder.

This would be a great book for anyone who is struggling with loss, a death in the family, or murder. It gives a calming view of life after death and an honest look at consequences.

Adult Written byCoffeeTable March 2, 2010

Mature Grade 9's and up.

I loved this book except for the end.
Alot of peopel i've talked to didn't like the scene where she actually got raped and died, but possibly because i've read so many books like this that i am desensitized that i didn't notice anything out of the ordinary.
The pain and loss from the family that you feel are incredible and Susie's constant reminder and search for acceptance in the afterworld to move on are very poetic. I greatly enjoyed this book as do many girls who read it in my library.