All member reviews for The Lovely Bones

Violent, disturbing read meant for discussion with teens.

Teen, 17 years old Written byRedhotcheerios December 12, 2009

this book is one of my favorites. It is very intense though (due to details of rape and murrder) i think it is ok for 15 year olds and up. It is a great read.

Parent of a 14, 14, 17, and 20 year old Written byMother of 4 Teens July 1, 2010

My 17 year old daughter Lexy, doesn't like to read. This is the first book she's read in two years, if that tells you this is good. But there are some things that scare me. I just don't want my kids turning into disturbed teens.

Teen, 13 years old Written byhomegirl13 March 4, 2010

tweens and up

very good

Adult Written byfridam05 April 28, 2010

I love The Lovely Bones. It's a challenging read but successful. I really enjoyed reading this and I look forward for writers to write more books like it. I would recommend this book for young adults 16 and older because of graffic and sexual scenes.

Teen, 13 years old Written bybellaswan504 January 9, 2010

perfect for all teen girls 13-17

this story was sad but it teach young girls to be more aware of the environment around them.

Kid, 12 years old Written byTheLovelyBonesFan March 2, 2012

OK for mature kids

I read this at 12. I didnt think it was innapropriate. The rape scene isn't that graphic. But the sex scene with Susie is a little bit.
If you're teen is mature, they can read it. There is a lot of cursing. But its a good book.

Teen, 14 years old Written byisolabella January 13, 2012

Appropriate for mature audiences, know yourself.q

Over all a really good book but people should know before they read it that the book would be a bit disturbing for kids under 12 or 13 depending on their maturity level. I read the book and though it was really well written but that eeven to me as a 13 year old it was creepy and made me think a lot about rape and murder as in the beginning.

Adult Written byCarma October 10, 2011

Let your child decide if they are ready to read it

This is very much one of those books that depends on the maturity level of your child. I think by the age of 12 they are old enough to know whether it is right for them, or if the rape and murder plot line is too much. I read this book when I was 12. I knew that I was ready to read a book with the themes The Lovely Bones has, and I liked it.

Teen, 15 years old Written byme_person March 7, 2010

LOVE IT!

This book is most deffinately one of my favorite books. I just finished reading it yesterday even though I'm only eleven. A lot of the kids in my class also love this book since the majority of my class read it. In some parts it can get to descriptve but overall it's a really good book, and I most deffinately reccomend this book to anyone.

Teen, 14 years old Written byMikaylaaMadisonn February 1, 2010

His is one of my favorite books. It is so good. Really makes you think. And cry. Only read this book if you are mature enough to handle it. Heavy stuff.

Teen, 14 years old Written byAshlie Hitz August 14, 2012

Book Review on The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold

I thought that this book was just incredible! it was a mixture of suspense, violence, romance, action, and horror. But, i recommend this book to teen girls the age of 14+ because of some of the explicit things in this book, but beside that, this book was a very good read for every teen girl out there. i have watched the movie, and the book just out did it in everything, details, ect. EVERYTHING! I really have enjoyed it!

Kid, 12 years old Written byLovely Bones Always December 26, 2011

Parents read the book first then let your children read

I am 12 and i love this book, there is not really age promblems just depends on the childs maturity. Sorry i know im misspelling. I think depending on maturity 9 and up but remember content is also a promblem. Parents i recommend reading the book first then letting your child read it. BUT if your child is sensative to subjects or doesnt even know what rape is then tell them to wait on the book or they can google the defination. This isnt just for teens anyone can read it but you have to understand it to really enjoy it, some teens are just to childish to even handle the book.

Parent Written byflipflops2012 October 23, 2011

Must-Read Book for Ages 13 & Up

I disagree with the rating Common Sense Media gives the book of it being appropriate for only age 16 & up. Depending on maturity, this book could be appropriate for teenagers 13 & up. This book does discuss graphic situations such as sex, rape, and murder. However, I feel that any mature teenager is perfectly capable of handling these topics as they are discussed in the book. This is a very good book that teenagers and even adults will enjoy. It is a must-read for teenagers, and as a parent, I would personally suggest my own daughter reading this when she is old enough.

Teen, 13 years old Written byParamoreFan09 January 21, 2010

My friends are reading this...

My friends are reading this book *shivers* it looks so scary! 16 and up... wow! Ugh i could never take this...

Teen, 17 years old Written byabbacus June 9, 2012

Love it!

I loved this book. I read it when I was 14 (it didn't really bother me, but it would be better for teens older than that). I really loved the little paragraph at the beginning of the book about the snow globe.

Teen, 15 years old Written byabbylyn May 11, 2011

My bestie is reading this book and she loves it. She is 12 and very mature. I think that if you are mature enough you are old enough.

Kid, 12 years old Written bytalkingmajor March 23, 2011

Good, but not Great

It was... interesting . I will admit, not terrible, but not fantastic. IT gets boring as u go and has a terrible ending in the book to me... but that's just an oppinion

Teen, 14 years old Written byjerryoish February 13, 2011

better for teens

It is a great and well imagined book. It made me sad but I felt like I'm that dead girl who is watching her family and her murderer from the heaven.

Teen, 14 years old Written byPolkaDot123 September 28, 2010

Teenagers Will Love This Book

LOVEEEED IT !
This book is AMAZING , I ddn't want the story to end !!!
I don't recommend it for tweens or anybody younger though, too sexual...but other than that i believe All Teenagers & Adults Should Read This Book !!!

Teen, 16 years old Written bytaymomsenfan April 6, 2010