All member reviews for The Night Circus

Illusionists compete in dream-like literary romance.

Teen, 14 years old Written bynoveleater October 14, 2011

Circus story is dream-like with a fun beginning, boring middle, and perfect end

Night Circus completes it's dream (pun intended) of being dream-like with a believable romantic relationship, stunningly realistic characters and a beautifully planned out end. The story tells of a magic circus that arrives with no warning at night, opens at night, and closes at Dawn, where the traveling group end on to a new town. But not only is it a circus, it is the battle field for a powerful battle between two illusionists, who's powers are quite real. But the two fall in love, head over heels, like a dream. They play with the rules and dance the dance dangerously, not realizing one will have to die for the other to be claimed victor.
The writing is really well done and really well planned out. Each word is crafted perfectly like a pro at work, some may be surprised to find this is the author's first try. The story is unique and fun, with enough romance to keep love birds coming back, with enough symbols and metaphors for a english teacher, enough action to keep fantasy lovers flipping the pages, and enough heart to impress anyone. The only part that this book fails at, is keeping all of the pages relating to each other. The middle sags at places, and the book loses heart for it. I found myself drifting at parts, but the writing kept me coming back, and the competition was exciting enough. The book, I feel is perfect length, not to short to want to slow down the reading process, but long enough not to want more. The book is not only for adults, I am a teen and I really enjoyed it. The book was impressive. I don't think the author had to make the ending so.... so like a fairy tale. It is kind of annoying, but the last chapter is wonderful, making me call it perfect.
The book is kind of violent, in one awesome scene, a knife is thrown, stopping time! (so cool!) A character walks out into a train, and is killed. The fact that Celia and Marco have to kill each other keeps on coming up at parts. Other than that, the book isn't all over the top on violence, which I like.
In one scene Marco kisses Celia all over the body. Something like him licking her or something. There are kisses and sweet romance, but many of them aren't compleatly explored.
The word F*** is used once, and it is randomly surprising. The word d*** is used four times. Two times to explain the competition.
A character smokes, and characters smoke.
The story is sweet and I will be keeping my eye on the author, after all, a book by Erin Morgenstern arrives without warning...

Teen, 13 years old Written bymovierocker February 24, 2012

Very well-written book but has some iffy content

The night circus is an amazing, well-written book that gives kids a great late night read. The plot is strong and to kids and adults that love fantasy and circus's, this book is great! Their is some language that includes Celia's father calling her a s*** and a w****, and the f-bomb is in there twice. I don't know why common sense media says their is little sex and love becuase their is. There is one scene where Celia and Marco strip down and it describes that Marco is licking the traces of Celia's body. But overall, this is a very good book for anyone who loves a great night read.

Teen, 15 years old Written byredhead034 February 26, 2012

One of the best books I've read

I really loved this book, it was one of the best ones I have read in a while. Personally, I loved the plot, it wasn't slow. There is some violence but its not depicted in detail. There's also a short sex scene, but that's not detailed either. It was a great love story that didn't have predictable ending. This is by far one of my favorite books; it had just the right amount of super-natural, romance and fantasy. The fantasy/circus aspect of the novel was fantastic; I love circuses and really wanted to go to the circus in the book, it was described in such good detail. All in all, a fantastic book and a must-read.

Teen, 15 years old Written bya thought April 7, 2013

Our magic

I just read this book recently and fell in love with its tantalizing, crisp and altogether magical description of the circus and its colorful cast of characters. I find it very rare that I come to a novel that I enjoy because of its lengthy descriptive scenes rather than in spite of them. Then night circus was one of those rare books. I also really appreciated the many stories the author was able bring together with the circus and how she was able to make me care about other characters aside from the central couple in the story. After reading The Night Circus I quickly decided to purchase it for my own shelves at home so it could take its place among many other well loved books. This is a truly worthwhile read.

Teen, 16 years old Written byBooksforever May 28, 2013

Wonderful

This is one of my new favourite books. I would highly recommend it to anyone looking for a good read. Lots of imagery and detail that paints a vivid picture in your mind.

Teen, 13 years old Written bythephantom1239 February 4, 2014

Wow!!

I love this book! Its plot moves along a little slowly, and it is quite unclear until halfway through. Also, keep an eye on the top of each chapter page as the dates jump about everywhere and if you don't check where in time you are you will be confused! A few swears, but other than this, brilliant!! Wonderful wonderful vocabulary and descriptions! :)