Parent reviews for The Night Circus

The Night Circus Poster Image

For Mature Readers Only

This was unlike anything else I'd ever read, like a literary Rube Goldberg machine made of steampunk dreams. The story was complex (with an erratically shifting timeline) and yet it made sense; the ending was satisfying while maintaining its mystery. The Night Circus is the setting for a mesmerizing competition pitting the students of two rival magicians against each other.

1 person found this helpful.

THE BEST BOOK EVER

I read many remarkable books this year, and one book I particularly enjoy is The Night Circus. This book is the most beautiful thing, more elegant than Chopin's music, most famous artwork and loveliest flowers. Everything about this book is like a dream. I forgot that I was reading because I felt like a character in the book, a person following the circus, looking at the most wonderous things with my own eyes, and felt the magic. I read so many books, yet I have never felt this kind of sensation before. The timing, storyline, character, and words; everything about this book is exceptional.

Tedious competition

Might have been enjoyable if shorter, but just tedious at nearly 500 pages. Dramatic tension wears thin throughout.

My first 5 star ever

I don't agree with reviews saying that The Night Circus lags in the middle. At that time the author is taking us from Celia's and Marco's story to tell us about all of the other loves that have brought the troupe to the circus and helped to make it the magical place it is. The layers begin to show. From Tsukiko to Tara, etc. Even Tante Padva's love for Chandresh. So many kinds of love all richly woven together. And, of course, the true love story here is their love for the circus. I usually pass along a book that I enjoyed so someone else can enjoy it also but I'm keeping this one.

Amazing

My 12 year old daughter read it and loved it, which prompted me to read it. It was impossible to put down and a lot of fun to read.