Kid reviews for The Night Circus

The Night Circus Poster Image

This book had a very enchanting storyline, with a plot that kept me intrigued until the end. The content rating says "no depiction of sexual activity," which is false. There is one scene where two lovers are said to undress, then spend the night together, with no explicit details but some references.

4 people found this helpful.

Exceptional book. Possibly the best fantasy story I've read.

SPOILER WARNING! This book is absolutely incredible, with the most beautiful, memorable, haunting descriptions I have ever read. It's unique. It's so brilliant that I could talk about it for hours nonstop. I've recommend it to almost everyone I know. It's THAT amazing. The main thing that makes it so incredible: the setting. The circus is like something out of a dream. I wish I could visit it. I CANNOT SAY ENOUGH GOOD THINGS ABOUT THIS BOOK. GO READ IT. RIGHT NOW. It's worth it. One thing I should say is that the first half of the book is slow, and I put this book down multiple times before the book really caught my attention. But the first half of the book IS amazing. Oh, now I need to go and read it again. :) Though this book is appropriate for teenagers, here are some things that parents might want to be aware of: VIOLENCE AND SCARINESS (4.5/10)- Not as much as you would expect from a fantasy book written for adults. An injured bird is killed. Celia's father cuts her fingertips open so she can practice healing them. A character is killed by a train. Not described in detail. A character throws a knife at someone, and it hits a different character and kills them. Not graphic or described in detail. The most graphic part of the scene is: "The silence that follows is shattered by Poppet Murray's screaming as the pool of blood on the ground spreads beneath her white boots." A characters hands another character the "blood-covered knife." LANGUAGE (3/10)- A character says the f word. Celia's father often insults her. SEX (4/10)- The story is a romance. Characters kiss. There is one "sex scene" on pages 391 and 392. It's not very graphic and it will probably go over younger kids' heads. Here is the "worst" part of the scene: "Trapped in silence, Marco traces apologies and adorations across Celia's body with his tongue. Mutely expressing all the things he cannot speak aloud. He finds other ways to tell her, his fingers leaving faint trails of ink in their wake. He savors every sound he elicits from her. The entire room trembles as they come together. And though there are a great many fragile objects contained within it, nothing breaks." WHAT AGE CAN A KID READ IT? I said thirteen and up. The story is long, complicated, and not written in a way that kids will likely be able to fully understand. The main characters in the story are adults, and I just can't imagine a kid younger than thirteen finding this story entertaining. In conclusion, The Night Circus is an incredible, beautifully-written book that is a must-read for teens and adults.

Beautifully written book

I was pleasantly surprised while reading this book. It’s not like any other book that has been written before; it’s very unique. I love the way the author writes to weave together the plot and describe the dreamy settings. I was a little bit confused at the beginning of the book when the chapters change point of view and time and place, but you get used to it and it starts making sense. The only thing I have against this book is that there was one part that went a bit further than kissing. It wasn’t very long, though, so you can easily skip over it. Overall, it was a great book that I would definitely recommend.

I love this book

I am at a higher reading level, and love reading. I read this when I was 11, and thought it was the BEST Book ever. It captured me, and held me in. I LO VE this book SOOOO MUCH!!!! However, it might be more appropriate for older children( kids are baby goats!), because of one instance where it depicts, well, you’ll see below.

Beautiful And Intriguing

I loved it. Though the characters are weak, the gripping themes and dreamlike setting are good enough to hide it. Overall, it's a wonderful gaslamp fantasy that'll leave you wanting for more.

It was written like a dream… ☁️

I really only put 14 because I don’t think anyone younger would LIKE it. Middle schoolers would probably be bored- I’m almost 15 and I still kinda didn’t have enough patience. 🤣 It was very wistful seeming and I LOVED the setting. It’s just a slooooow, poetic book, so probably a 12 year old COULD read it- if they have a big vocabulary. 😅

The Night Circus had a completion that unravels its way into something like a dream.

The Night Circus was an immersive experience, I really enjoyed the book. I personally found it a good length- something you could sit with for a while, long enough to spend a good week reading. The pace was steady and in its length captured the atmosphere of the circus in a beautiful way. The only problem I had with it was I found myself more invested in some of the side characters stories, than of Marco and Celia. I am not sure if this was purposely done or not. I loved the characters Poppet, Widget and Bailey and wish I could have got to know them a bit more. Overall and excellent story! Recommend it to you if you enjoy dreamy, beautiful writing, historical setting, magical elements and a bit of romance. 4.5 stars.

Very Lovely Story

This story is pretty long. The beginning is a tab bit slow so you get children may not find it as interesting. A few characters die, but is not explained to much. Hopefully won’t cause any triggers. There is one sexual scene that is not too descriptive todo younger kids may not notice it. (If they get that far in the story) Based on experience rereading the story is much faster than reading it for the first time because you know what to expect and what is going to generally happen,