All member reviews for The Perks of Being a Wallflower

Controversial coming-of-age classic with sex, drugs, abuse.

Adult Written byilovegodsomuch July 29, 2011

Good Read

This book identifies with teenagers because it is relevant to what kids face today! It does not compromise reader's judgment. It instead instills a sense of self, based on choice.

Adult Written byolivialong27 July 30, 2011

AMAZING!!!

This is one of the best books I've ever read. It taught me a lot of important things about life and has a lot of beautiful quotes, my favorite is "We accept the love we think we deserve."

Adult Written byJsca August 20, 2011

I've read and suggested this book many times

The Perks of Being a Wallflower is a classic coming-of-age story; written in a unique style and conveying memorable lessons. It's better and more meaningful each time you read it!

Teen, 14 years old Written bychicchickari September 9, 2011

Very enjoyable book

Im 14 now and I just started high school. I decided to read this book for an outside reading school assignment. I heard about this book about a year ago when I heard it was being made into a movie with some of my favorite actors and actresses in it and I decided to read it because I like to read books before I see the movie. Anyways, I really enjoy this book. I think most teens above the age of 13 can read this book because they are most likely exposed or heard about the issues in this book and are able to understand them without it being too inappropriate. One issue about it is the main character is 16 (for part of the book 15) and refers to the reader as being older and has most likely experienced or understand most of the situations, so basically the author is implying that you should be at least in 10th grade to read this and I somewhat agree with this because I don;t understand some of situations in it, but it doesn't mean the book still ins't enjoyable. I really suggest reading this book.

Teen, 15 years old Written by100annabella May 27, 2012

Amazing! Must-read!

It is an amazing book with a positive outlook on life not normally in books, with a interesting character who has real issues giving a raw reality to the book. It is amazing and everyone should read it, but due to some strong sexual content you should be aware off, anyone under 14 I think might be a little young, and 14 +15 year olds should be mature for their age to read it.

Adult Written byhamstergurl09 June 2, 2012

Somewhat Enjoyable at Times, Highly Overrated

"Perks of Being a Wallflower" is not a very good read. The characters are intriguing at first glance, making them initially fun to read about, but they get bland very quickly. The main character Charlie is pretty clueless, and doesn't really understand how to behave. For instance, there's one scene where he tells a girl that he had a wet dream about her and then starts crying, which is creepy and not socially acceptable. He also didn't know what masturbation was at age fifteen. l'm fifteen now (my profile says 18 by mistake) and I've known about masturbation for years. This book doesn't really have a concrete plot, it's pretty much just a bunch of teenagers hanging out. There were a few good and interesting parts, but I felt like the author only wrote this book so he could write about controversial stuff. It's chock full of cheesy, pseudo-philosophical quotes, such as "At that moment, I swear we were infinite" (what does that even mean?) and "We accept the love we think we deserve." Several elements of the plot I thought were unrealistic. In my experience as a high school student, I have never come into contact with people who drink, smoke, or do drugs as much as many of the characters in this book. Also, the fact that Charlie, a freshman, immediately becomes really good friends with a group of seniors seems rather far fetched. Overall, I don't think this book is even close to being as good as everyone says. I would not give this book to anybody under the age of thirteen or fourteen because of the heavy themes in the book, and because it would give pre-high school age students an unrealistic view of high school.

Teen, 15 years old Written bytylerkippert June 28, 2012

Amazing Novel That Teenagers Can Learn From

-Positive Messages: Many teenagers can learn a lot from this book. The main message is to instead observing life, experience it.

-Positive Role Models: Although Charlie is influenced easily, he is a good person and is extremely intelligent.

-Violence: Around the beginning of the novel, Charlie is bullied and gets in a fight with his bully. His sister gets punched by her boyfriend. Some characters lived an abusive life. He saves his friend after a group of guys gain up on him.

-Sex: Sexual content in here is strong. Both straight and gay couples have sex. There is discussing on "pleasuring themselves". Charlie witnessed a teenager forcing a teenage girl to have intercourse with him at a young age. He has a friend who goes the the park for anonymous sex. There's a graphic scene at the end. This story also includes molestatoin.

-Language: There is a lot of language in this book. S--t, d-mn, b-tch, a--, h-ll. The "F" word is used a couple times. An offensive term for a gay person is used.

-Consumerism: not an issue.

-Drugs: Many characters smoke marijuana. Charlie describes his experience with LSD.

Teen, 13 years old Written byResidentEvilPotter January 7, 2012

Helps Teens Understand

Educational value. There aren't really any good role models, except for maybe Charlie's parents, but even then, they don't know about what's going on with Charlie. His friends introduce him to drugs. Good coming of age story, though. The author really got it.

Teen, 13 years old Written byandasif July 5, 2012

Mostly realistic

I can see were it would be alot like the catcher in the rye. Its alot about missing people seeing your friends move away. Its very relatable if you have friends who are moving away to another school or who are going into highschool or college. It has alot of drug stuff which when Charlie does LSD is when it starts to get unrealistic. But most of the book if realistic.

Teen, 15 years old Written byclassygirl14 June 18, 2012

Perks = Perfection

This is one of my all time favorite books. I read it when I was 13, which was okay for ME, but it would probably be too mature for most 13 year olds. There are definitely heavy themes: the main character witnessed a girl being raped when he was a child, his best frind commited suicide, and his friends smoke a lot of weed and do LSD. However, "Perks" is haunting and beautiful. I think that it is a very inspiring story and the teen characters are very realistic. It's hard to express just how good this book is. Take caution if your kid is 13 or under, but other than that, let them read Perks because it changed me for the better and it might change them too.

Kid, 12 years old Written byHappyCat January 4, 2013

Best book I've ever read

I was 12 when I read this, and I got a lot of dirty looks from teachers when carrying it around. I'm still 12, and I still don't care. This is the best book that I have ever read. Yes, there is a bit of edgy material, but there was nothing I didn't understand. My parents have always let me read whatever I please, and I don't care what you say about that. I have always been very mature for my age (half of my friends don't even know what masturbation is!!!!) and I felt that this book was moving, beautiful, and overall a journey through high school from Charlie's point of view. He is extremely likable, innocently naive, and a loving, caring person. This book shows the powerful bonds of friendship, love, and trust. A must read for young teens and tweens. And honestly, screw the Banned Books List. I'm a citizen of the USA and have freedom of expression. I can read whatever I darn well please and I don't need some riled up so-called "critics" telling me what is and isn't appropriate for me to read. I don't think we should even HAVE a Banned Books List.

Teen, 16 years old Written bysorensenh15 May 30, 2013

Controversy of this book

Although there is a lot of controversy with this book. The drinking and drugs is not the main reasoning for this book. It teaches you lessons on life and how to find your way out of the dark. I recommend this book to ages 14 and above for its mature content.

Teen, 14 years old Written byMakorra October 18, 2012

A very enjoyable book!

Teen, 13 years old Written bygenius armadillo November 30, 2012

The Best Book In the History of the World!!

This is an AMAZING BOOK. It is still my favorite book and I read it at age 11. However, I am an advanced reader who thinks about books I read and I'm not uncomfortable with the sex, drugs and language as long as it doesn't glamorize it, which it definitely DOESN'T. It is a very good book to talk about with your kids so they can understand what is going on and why it is bad. It is superbly written and I would recommend it to anyone who is ready for it.

Teen, 13 years old Written byburningupasun September 20, 2012

The Perks of Reading Perks of Being a Wallflower

This book was essentially my life last year. While short, when I finished reading it, I lay in bed for hours, simply reflecting over the quote, "And in that moment, I swear we were infinite." Some people say it's cheesy and fake, but I think that people who say that evidently didn't understand the book. If you truly read it and appreciate it, quotes like that and "We accept the love we think we deserve" will hold with you throughout life. I just re-read it again yesterday, and fell in love with the characters all over again.
Charlie is somewhat naive, though charismatic and endearing. Throughout his freshman year, he matures into a more self aware, curious, and "out there" kind of person. Sam shows how, while some people can think one thing about a person, the true personality of that person can be completely different - the rumors can be completely off-base. Patrick is one of my favorite characters, along with Charlie's sister, because it shows how accepting the author is, and thinks we should all be, of gay rights. At this time especially, that's a very controversial point, but I love the way Chbosky portrays it. Charlie's sister shows how important it is to get out of an abusive relationship, and shows the author as pro-choice, which is, once more, a very controversial point. These two are two of the main reasons Perks is so high up on the Banned Books List, but I think it provides the book with texture, makes the book feel more real.
Know your child - some people can handle things like this, some can't. It contains a few trigger warnings, though not many, and is also sexually explicit in some chapters (or, rather, letters). However, if you can handle these things, it is a beautifully written book - realistic, where the main character doesn't have a vocabulary decades of years beyond him. Beautifully written, it makes you question - Don't YOU want to be remembered for something great?

Teen, 15 years old Written byHaylee_LOVE_ September 18, 2012

Defiantly a book worth while! (:

An AMAZING read! I am a 15 year old freshman and I read the book because I saw the commercial for the movie. I was super excited to see that not only is my favorite actor (Logan Lerman) & my favorite actress (Emma Watson) are two of the main characters.. I got the book and immediately started reading hoping I would get the book done in time for the midnight premiere on Septemeber 21. I couldn't put the book down! I was reading constantly!! I had the book done within 3 days of receiving my order! It's a great book about what it is like to go through high school.. Yes, there is drugs, sex, and violence in the book but it is exactly what you go through in high school. There isn't a single part of the book that is bad. It's written amazingly and set up great.. I say if you have a mature child!! Go for it but it's defiantly not for the immature kids who still laugh when the teacher says vagina in science class.

Kid, 10 years old July 26, 2013

Great book for teens and mature tweens

WOW, great book. I know what you are thinking right now, that I shouldn't read things like this yet but, suck it up!!!!!!!!!! Anyway it is a great book but, not appropriate for sensitive tweens. There is some sex but, mostly in stories from the past, Charlie, (the main character) tells a story of him seeing a girl being raped when he was at a young age. There is a reference to masturbation. Teens drink alcohol and get high, there is also some strong language including, f**k.

Kid, 12 years old Written byIn Out Below July 11, 2012

One of the best books I'v read

you would think it was a typical high school story, but it's not. It's original because this story is told from a feshman, who would in most stories complain about how his life is a living hell in high school. but this story for once doesn't do that. for violence, charlie's sister gets hit by her boyfriend, but resumes to date him and his best friend commited suicide. there is a lot of talk about sex and only one or two mildy graphic scenes. main character does drugs and drinks even though he is underage. a lot of language, since it is high school. but it will defiently keep you reading

Teen, 14 years old Written byheylookitsgrace September 29, 2012

Amazing yet Controversial Novel

I read this book when I was 13, and it is probably my favorite or one of my favorite books ever. I think that I was mature enough to handle all the heavy topics, but maybe not all 13 year olds. I definitely recommend it to any mature 13 year old and anyone older though. Just be warned, that it has a lot of sex (opposite sex and same sex), language, drinking, drug use, and heavy topics such as child molestation, teen pregnancy (and a secret abortion) and abuse (between boyfriend and girlfriend and father and son). Parents (and teens) should keep that in mind, but like I said, it is a brilliant novel that I highly recommend. It's also very relate-able since it covers so many issues,which I like. Hope this was helpful.

Teen, 16 years old Written bychristia ferguson April 24, 2012

"perks"

it's a really good book, some content is a bit heavey though. you have to be somewhat mature to handle the book.