All parent member reviews for The Red Pyramid: The Kane Chronicles, Book 1

Parent of a 7, 10, and 14 year old Written bybeckyhall May 28, 2010

Rick Riordan, thanks for making my kid a mythology expert!

My 10yo son has been a huge Rick Riordan fan for a couple of years now. He devoured the Percy Jackson series. He was a little leery about the new series - I think he was afraid if he didn't like it he would somehow be disloyal to the author! But ever since The Red Pyramid arrived in our house, he's been glued to it. Rick Riordan is doing for a whole new generation what JK Rowling did several years ago. The books are great adventures with a little violence and flawed but admirable characters. The mythology is educational too!

Parent of a 14 year old Written bymickeym_k June 3, 2010

Great story, Wonderful Characters

I read any book I think that might be iffy for my kids. That is how I discovered I liked reading Percy Jackson as much as I like Harry Potter. So when the school librarian told us that that Rick Riordan had a new book coming out, I was just as excited as my kids. "The Red Pyramid" does not disappoint. It is action packed, without being too scary. The main characters and their parents willing make sacrifices for the good of their family (and the world). Plus, I really like the fact that the hero siblings aren't the standard Caucasian male lead. The brother and sister are equally important and courageous. The book is narrated by both the Kane sibling, so the reader gets both points of view. Their dad is African-American and their mom is a Caucasian Englishwoman.

Our calendar is marked for the 10/12 release of "The Heroes of Olympus, Book One: The Lost Hero".

Parent of a 12 year old Written byilovemychildbev March 16, 2011

I loved it! So did my daughter. Lots of violence though, no details on blood or anything like that. Very good. Hooks you until the end. Very funny chapter titles. my favorite is for chapter 35.

Parent of a 7, 12, and 14 year old Written bySpielguy June 18, 2010

Decent book

Female protagonist uses the explitive "God" quite often.

Parent of a 13 and 17 year old Written byReni July 1, 2010

loved it

Parent of a 7 and 9 year old Written byBabsyoung October 22, 2010

My son loved this book. I bought it because of the author, but then found that the female British character uses the word "Bloody," for emphasis several times in the book. I realize this makes her a more believable British character, but for a tween aged reader, it is not necessary.

Parent of a 9 year old Written byDeanalhancoc September 14, 2010

Good read, needs a variety of suprised expressions

I liked the book it was a page turner. But I didn't like Sadie using "G**". It wasn't necessary and although this was the only bad word that stood out to me. It's a word that our family uses with respect.
I just hope that things don't get worse in titles to come.

Parent Written byMrBoo July 18, 2010

not bad!

Parent of a 11 year old Written byMoPro July 27, 2010

Red Pyramid Puzzle

I love Harry Potter! And Rick Riordan’s books are just as cool! Check out
Red Pyramid Puzzle. com. It’s an awesome puzzle from the same guy who wrote the Percy Jackson series. You take a trip through ancient Egyptian mythology and battle pharaohs and gods!

Parent of a 8 and 10 year old Written byMovie Momma August 24, 2010

A book the whole family can enjoy!

I read it to my boys at night so we can stop and discuss it when the storyline gets complicated. My 10 yr old could read it without problem on his own but enjoys it just as well because I use different voices. Yea, I'm a goofball! Another great series from Riordan!

Parent of a 9 and 13 year old Written byhallieandelenasmom June 18, 2010

Reading it aloud to both of my girls and they adore Sadie!

Hallie's got a crush on Carter, we now have a kitty named 'Muffin,' and it's just perfect to read with kids.

Parent of a 9 year old Written byzamorenos January 28, 2012

My kid loves it!!!

Parent of a 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, and 17 year old Written byKaceygurl123 November 15, 2010

AMAZING Book!

Everyone in my family LOVES, LOVES, LOVES it!!! And so will you once you read it...

Parent of a 6 year old Written bymsscuba1999 July 12, 2010

If you liked Percy Jackson . . .

First, I did not read this with my daughter, I read it for me. I loved the Percy Jackson series and when I saw this had to buy it. LOVED it. can't wait for the next one - hopefully we won't have to wait too long!

Like his other books, this one started off with a good grabber, which sucks you right in. Nice historical/geographical info and mythology. I must say, as I was reading, I didn't see how this book would be a series, but he, "got me" at the end.

Parent of a 7 and 9 year old Written byLili77 June 27, 2010

I liked the fast paced action, but it does remind my a little of Percy Jackson ( I know its the same author!). My daughter liked it very much! I loved the closeness of the family, well about the brother and sister. I defenetly recomend it.

Educator and Parent of a 3, 4, 10, and 19 year old Written bylove4kids September 25, 2010

Perfect for fans of Percy Jackson

Portrays a mixed-race family working together in a positive way. Educational and engaging.

Adult Written byWhat do you think March 13, 2012

Is it Good Yes it is

I think this book is really good so far i think it is great that the kids are telling the story from there perspective and don't leave out many details it's a good book for kids and they might enjoy it.

Parent of a 12 year old Written bycrankylibrarian January 6, 2014

Fast paced adventure, fascinating setting, likable bi-racial family

I was not a fan of the Percy Jackson series, okay but nothing special. But The Red Pyramid grabbed me from the opening sentence: "We only have a few hours, so listen carefully...". Carter and Sadie Kane, offspring of 2 brilliant Egyptologists, have just discovered that their family tree is a bit more, umm, complicated than they realized. Sadie, raised in England by their (mysteriously) dead mother's parents, and Carter, raised by their globetrotting Dad, have little in common, but when a late night trip to the British museum unleashes gods, demons and possibly the end of the world, they quickly learn to work together. Carter and Sadie are bright, funny teens; their constant bickering barely concealing their deep affection for each other.(Nice touch: this is one of the few really great kids' books to feature a bi-racial family).

Although the secondary characters start to run together, (remind me, which goddess was the flaming blood drinker?) these two realistic, likable kids hold the center. Throw in a cat with far more than 9 lives, a basketball obsessed baboon, and a Dream Date with Death, and you've got one heck of a story.