All member reviews for The Thief Lord

A modern version of the shipwrecked story.

Teen, 15 years old Written byOGORMAN January 16, 2011

An adventurous tale told in one of the world's most beautiful citys.

Although the children who are the main characters steal, they only steal enough to survive among the winding pathways and canals of beautiful Italy. Prosper and Bo are to be admired at how they managed to get to Italy all the way from America only having a general idea of what the country looks like from the mother's stories. United under one ruler, what will they do when the Thief Lord's real identity is revealed? I loved reading this book because it reminds of how I use to imagine what it would be like to survive on my own in a big city and whether I'd have the strength to do it or not. That's my wild imagination for you! :)

Teen, 14 years old Written byCelticGirl February 27, 2011

Good Book-Inkworld books are better

This is a good book. The kids steal, though.
Prosper and Bo want to stay together, and the rest of the kids are like a family. They welcome Bo and Prosper into their group. When they find out that The Thief Lord is actually rich, they are mad at him, but then they make up.
The end is sad though, and I don't want to give it away, but I will say that it almost made me cry.
Overall, it is a good book.

Teen, 13 years old Written by666wolfgirl September 25, 2009

I love it!

This book is really awesome! It's creatively-written and indeed a page-turner. It grabs your attention and won't let it go, even to the very last page. The movie is also interesting, too. I didn't realize The Thief Lord was a book until I watched the movie. When I noticed it was written by Cornelia Funke, it was something I just HAD to read. She's a brilliant author and one of my favorites.

Kid, 12 years old Written byMegumi Yosei November 9, 2010

Lovely

I love this book to bits. It's perfectly written, and has good role models in it. (like Prosper, the main character, is like a father to his little brother, and he teaches him good things like not to steal) I love it and recommend it to everyone.

Kid, 12 years old Written bybjoespizza April 9, 2008

Exelent

I read The Theif Lord and I couldn't put it down. Several kids in my class are reading it too and I can see why.The are thrills surprises adventure mystery. I couldn't put it down. I would not suggest this book to anyone under the 6th grade I'm in 6th grade and Sme kids in my class had to re-read it. They throw in some Italian so it can be hard to understand but all in all it's one of the best books I have read. ( If you enjoy this try reading Oliver Twist)

Teen, 16 years old Written byTressino April 21, 2011

Parent of a 10 year old Written bybob1233221 October 6, 2010

awsome book

Fantastic!! I read it to my 7 year old daughter and i changed the bad words but it was nice and adventorus. READ IT there is about 6 bad words

Teen, 13 years old Written byCliff Hanger January 16, 2011

Fantastic!

Amazing! This book is absolutley mid blowing. t teachs you Italian too! This is definatley one of my all time favorite books. You have to read it!

Teen, 14 years old Written byChaos7 January 29, 2011

This is my favorite book in the world, maybe due to the fact that I myself am Italian and the book is set in the most magical city in the world (it teaches alot about Venice, its history and myths, and the customs and traditions of the people that live there). The characters are wonderful and well structured, and Prosper takes care of his little brother Bo like any father would. Scipio (my favorite character in ANY book), even though he is really the son of a very wealthy Dottore (doctor), does whatever he can to help the orphaned street kids. Victor (another one of my favorites), the kindhearted detective who is hired to find Prosper and Bo, agrees to help the kids after learning about their Aunt Esther's cruel intentions to split the brothers up. There are plenty of negative characters, and the kids do steal, but this is understandable considering that they have no other options (they also later kidnap Victor under circumstances that I can't explain here without giving away the whole book; however they are not unkind to him).
There is a lot of fighting, and Ida Spavento, the kind lady who later takes the orphans in after a series of complicated events, smokes a lot and there is a passing mention or two of alcahol. The book also has a slightly eerie feel to it, and there are quite a few very creepy scenes in it. However it is a wonderful book about friendship, family, and helping others even under dangerous circumstances. MY FAVORITE BOOK EVER!!!!!!

Kid, 12 years old Written bypokemonlover234 March 9, 2011

Fine.

This book was very well-written. The story was... interesting, I will give it that. There was a nice cast of characters and it taught me some Italian. BUT... it was very boring, in my opinion. Over one-hundred pages were used for describing the life of the kids, their habits, who they are, and eventually a bit of excitement gets poured into it. It is very realistic except for the end, which I found to be quite weird. Overall, the book is a nice read. But nothing extremely exciting happens. I gave it three stars because I was able to get through it, and because I could still enjoy it at times.

Teen, 14 years old Written bykaratedude April 9, 2008

Teen, 14 years old Written byrocketgirl April 9, 2008

This book was somewhat slow moving so you had to be pulled in to like it.

The Thief Lord was a book where it seemed that they where telling two stories at once. You really had to experience something like it to have it be your #1 book. It is a book that is a strange mix of reality and fantasy combined. The main plot is about two brothers who run away to Venice and meet four orphan street kids who take tham in as family. As the story goes on secrets are told, promises are made and many other exciting, maybe even sad events take place. Have fun reading!

Kid, 10 years old Written byhiphoph June 24, 2010

not for kids!!

I started reading it but I didn't like it.At one part a little boy has a gun!

Kid, 9 years old Written bySyun Amasi February 6, 2010

Good for kids!

Good book

Teen, 15 years old Written byShinjo April 9, 2008

This is a superb book that took great, suprising turns!

This is a great book that everyone ages 9 and up will love. There is so much going on and it makes you want to stay up all night to finish! I loved how things turned out much differently then most books, like the hero suddenly became a shameful stealer, and the others learn to forgive. A great lesson and book for all!

Teen, 14 years old Written byDappled_Dag April 5, 2009

Must read this book!

I absolutely LOVED this! I'd recommend to anybody looking for a book! :)

Teen, 14 years old Written bytwinkletoez610 November 6, 2008

Magical Adventure!

I love Cornelia Funke. She is an amazing author who possess the wonderful gift of writing. Her imagination inspires me in every way. I loved this book, and if you did then you should watch the movie too, because i thought it was just as wonderful. Take a moment to let Cornelia take you into the magical world of Venice filled with enchantment and adventure.

Kid, 12 years old Written bym1 April 9, 2008

Adult Written byscopingforyou April 6, 2009

Surprising!

I love how this author writes. She is descriptive and makes things interesting. Just when you think this book is headed one way, it takes a turn in the opposite direction.
For those who have a problem with the stealing, it's not viewed as okay by everyone in the story, so I don't think it will influence someone to start stealing.

I do believe, though, that this book is too complicated for children younger than 8 or 9. All in all, this book was a real page-turner.

Kid, 10 years old Written byrambo-mctoony1-7 March 29, 2010