All member reviews for The Voyage of the Dawn Treader: The Chronicles of Narnia, Book 3

Thrilling, thoughtful Narnian quest.

Kid, 10 years old Written bypuppylove22 November 15, 2010

Trust me

i think it will be awesome! (Movie) I saw the prewviews and trailor it might be a little vilont thats the only thing i am worried about but other than that go for it!

Parent of a 3, 4, and 7 year old Written byJessReplanted November 12, 2010

great book!

I have always loved this book, and I have really enjoyed reading it with my son (in anticipation of the movie being released!). When reading the book we focused on the Christian themes, and also learned about sailing ships.

Teen, 13 years old Written byAwalkeratCSM December 21, 2010

Not a better analogy for the young eyes than this!

Years ago, when I read this enchanting read by C.S. Lewis, its religious analogies and likable characters have engrossed my imagination. "The Voyage of the Dawn Treader" is a novel I would readily recommend to a young person for its appropriate content, backed by historical, though in fictional setting, details, positive messages, and (parents smiling) good role models. A fascinating voyage from home-sweet-home Narnia across the uncharted seas to Aslan's homeland, this book will hook your young reader, as it has millions before, and promise the parents their child's safety though encountering perilous islands, cunning slave traders, and countless unknown dangers ahead.
There isn't much to look out for in this book, except for occasional, but mild, violence and suspense. This is a "safe tale", as you could say, which honors me to give a 9+. For those searching for proper religious analogies for their child, you've hit the bulls-eye. There is rarely a better series for Christian analogies in the bookstore than this one. Perfect for young children and a perfect occupation for those anxious to see the film-version of this legendary piece of work. Enjoy the read and, eventually or not, the movie!

Kid, 11 years old Written byreadthosebooks May 17, 2011

Great Series to read!

A GREAT SERIES!
read the narnia series and find yourself engulfed in fantasy adventures!

Teen, 17 years old Written byMerlinFan17 December 28, 2010

One of the best books in the Narnia series, this book exchanges a direct villain for a seafaring adventure quest to find seven lords that King Caspian's uncle Miraz sent to sea in hope of disposing of. What starts out as a routine quest soon gets interesting when two of the Kings and Queens of old are fished out of the sea and join the adventure. They encounter slave traders, merpeople, dragons, and even a sea monster. A bratty cousin of the Pevensies learns the error of his ways, and as always, Aslan is the shining beacon of the Narnian books.
There are many lessons here, not least of all the religious undertones. I don't really want to spoil the book or the new movie, so I'll just say this: This book is perfectly fine for even the youngest members of your family. I'm going to give a copy to my sister the moment she can read.

Parent of a 3 and 4 year old Written bymarcriley December 10, 2010

Great for pre-teens, but teens these days might get bored.

I first read the whole series when I was about 10 years old...and have read them about once every for years, from that point til now. As an adult I still enjoy reading all the books in the series because it takes me back to my younger days. The Dawn Treader was a great adventure for me! I do remember a feeling of uncertainty when thinking of a sea voyage, but mostly because I have a slight fear already of "the deep blue sea". Despite that I thoroughly enjoyed this book and found it to be an incredibly fun fantasy adventure.

Adult Written bynationaltreasure February 1, 2011

Parent of a 4 and 7 year old Written byjohnjt November 30, 2010

Wonderful adventure

Sometimes I feel as if the resolution of the various tension points are too quick and thus are not as effective within the book itself as they could be with a little more depth.

But, the Narnia books are always good for discussion jumping off points, and the theme of temptation and dealing with it is a fine one to have with kids aged 7 and older.

Parent of a 4 year old Written byjlipiec May 10, 2011

A Classic

I read this book, and all 7 Chronicles of Narnia books to my 4 year old, and we both loved it. I had to rephrase some of the writing and explain some words to him, but we both loved the adventure and incredibly good role models and messages. I think these books are almost essential to complimenting a Christian education as well.

Parent of a 8 year old Written byBoca7 December 4, 2010

Adult Written bynarniafan57 December 10, 2010

perfect for all ages even if someone reads it to them

best book of the series cant wait to see the movie

Educator Written byreasonable mom August 14, 2011

a must

that this book is too violent is going to depend only on the maturity of the child. the nightly news is more violent than this.

Parent of a 2, 4, and 7 year old Written byVisualjah December 4, 2010

Dream-like fantastic story rich with mature lessons for kids