Parent and Kid Reviews on

Our Review

Based on 8 parent reviews

Sort by:

A sparkling, joyful read-aloud

A remarkable, beautifully written classic story of friendship, feeling, and impulse control, with plentiful messing about in boats. The vocabulary isn't so much old-fashioned as advanced—Grahame writes with the complete certainty that his readers will figure it out as needed. I'm reading it to a six-year-old with an unusually large vocabulary and still have to stop to define a word once a page or so, and it's fine. There are plenty more words she likely doesn't completely grasp, but reading aloud allows the meaning to come through, and she's entirely able to keep up with the story. A few more readings and the context will make the meanings perfectly clear. Also, good grief, "silly ass" in a book published in 1908 isn't swearing. It was quite an innocuous expression at the time , which is something you can easily explain to a child instead of having an attack of the vapors. Honestly, I can't think of a book that's more fun to read aloud, in terms of language and character. It may be best for children who are adventurous readers and enjoy stories about the countryside.

Cussing

The book uses the word ass at least 11 times and also other inserts such as stupid, fool, idiot. My 12 year old was upset

Wind in the willows

Absolutely an amazing book to read. I got this book for my 9 yr old son and I realized that there is a lot of vocabulary in there that needed to be explained in order to enjoy this beautifully written amazing book . What we did was, we read few pages at a time, highlighted the words, wrote the meaning on sticky notes at the end of the chapter and I let him reread every thing next day again. Although it require too much of the patience and time but it’s worth it . It’s kind of like a behaviour therapy for my distracted child, who was too much into video games. Highly recommended.

Beautiful book

This book is an absolute classic for both parents and children to enjoy. It is a shame that some people feel this book is not within the reach of modern day children. It is an excellent read aloud for younger children (starting around age 7). So many passages are so absolutely beautiful that they stop me in my tracks. Don't miss it.

1 person found this helpful.

Readable to younger ages!

I started reading this to my son when he was 3 and he loves it. He is capable of remembering the plot and it is a great way to start introducing kids to books with less or no pictures. I think it is a fun read and the stories are amazing.

My six year old enjoys reading it

My 6 year old is reading this book to us at night, he usually can make it through a chapter a day or sometimes half a chapter. So far he really enjoys it. We have to help him with some of the more unusual words (he got stuck on “thither” and “Frolicking” because he has never seen them before but was able to sound them out and then we explained what the words meant. ) He enjoys the story line so far and has been excited to catch up with the characters at night before bed. We explained “ass” is another word for donkey and it wasn’t an issue, he continues to enjoy reading the book. He’s a fairly advanced reader for his age so I’m not sure if most six year olds could read this book without help but would certainly enjoy parents reading along with them.

Vocabulary must be reviewed by parent o determine the childs ability to understand.

I began reading this book to my 7 year old upon reading this recommendation for 6 year olds. I got a few pages in and realized that in order for him to understand this book, I would have to explain a LOT of vocabulary to him (e.g."meandered aimlessly"..."spirit of divine discontent and longing".."imperiously"..."after the seclusion of the cellarage"..."impatient and contemptuous" all of these are in the first two pages!) He was not understanding it. We have not yet finished it. I thought I would wait until he is in the 3rd grade...now we'll try again. I'll update once we are done. I am all for introducing children to new vocabulary words, but in my case there was too much to explain.

Classic fun for animal adventure fans

I read this book to my 8 year old son and we both really enjoyed it. It has funny parts and some mild adventures and lovely characters with good messages about friendship (and the dangers of boasting!).