Parent reviews for Watership Down

Watership Down Poster Image

Amazing book for teens but has rabbits being suffocated and having their ears ripped off but amazing book

Don't Let the Bunnies Fool You

A younger child of, say, ten or eleven will not get a lot out of this book. While on the surface, Adams has wrote a book about adventures little bunny rabbits, there is so much more to be explored with an older eye. This is one of those novels where you have to stop and think, and more often than not, apply the situations Hazel and his band of bucks find themselves in to that of humans and what our reactions would be (in most cases, I doubt we would act any differently, honestly). The rabbits are more or less just a way to embellish the story to make it more interesting, and the rabbits' views offer an interesting point on humanity. The themes of this story are the search for home and what it takes to be a leader. Really, I'm surprised this book isn't more well known now-a-days.

Great Shared Family Reading!

My wife and I read this aloud to our fourth grade daughter and first grade son. while all the warnings about violence are valid, with discussion and context, this was one of the great shared family experiences. I saw the cartoon version as a kid (I will make my kids wait to see that), and always intended to read the book. If your family does readalouds and enjoys adventure this is an absolute gem!

Watership Down

Great book!

Adult book that kids can enjoy

This is one of my all times favorites. Even though it can be slow sometimes it's very enjoyable and sometimes puts a smile on your lips. But beware! Some scenes are very creepy; with rabbits suffocating, getting stuck in a trap, killing each other and so on.

Thrilling and Meaningful

This novel is a complex masterpiece accessible on many levels to different ages. On the first level, it is a simple adventure story that even beginner readers can understand (perhaps with the use of a dictionary or occasional help of an adult). However, with multiple re-readings the complexity and beauty of the novel shines through and the power of friendship, freedom, and bravery is demonstrated in more ways than one.

Oh, what a good book!

Everyone needs to read this at least once, especially if you like animal stories. If you liked "The Wind in the Willows", you'll like this book!

boaring

i thought it was a very boaring book it gave me no intresting turns it was a little stupid.

AMAZING adventure story

This is an all-around great adventure story for tweens and up. Parents will love it too.