All member reviews for Where the Red Fern Grows

Tearjerker about country boy and his hound dogs.

Kid, 12 years old Written bydiddydrace June 9, 2009

sad but really really really good ;-)

this book is the best and saddest book i have ever read! i cried and cried when old dan and little anne died. but i don't think that this book should be 9+ because of how it describes one little boy's death. it talks about soooooooooo much blood.

Teen, 14 years old Written byBen654 March 2, 2009

I LOVED THIS BOOK!!!!!!!!

This book is a heartwarming and emotional book that shows how much the love between a boy and his dogs really is and how much they are willing to doe for each other. AND BE PREPARED TO CRIE!!! For it's a real tear jerker.

Adult Written byimsosexy April 9, 2008

Kid, 12 years old Written byDefinitelyABookWorm March 1, 2010

Good for Late Elementary School to Early Junior High students

I think that it is a great novel for children over the age of seven who do not have a problem with the concept of hunting.

Parent of a 10 and 11 year old Written bylitmom123 January 28, 2011

Good, but not without faults.

This book has a decent story but the writing is sometimes repetitive and some of the scenes are completely pointless. For example, there is a scene in the book wherein we find out that Lil Ann is gunshy. This is never again addressed anywhere in the book. Even later, when they hunt at the championship, the boy's father brings a gun, but there is no mention of Lil Ann being gunshy. Also, I found the metaphors in the book were sometimes quite weak or overused.
The story was strong, and I found it was compelling, but the ending and the justifcation for it was hard to swallow. It felt gratutious.
That said, the protaganist is a decent role model, and truly shows that hard work and passion can get you far.

Parent of a 13 year old Written byTsion April 5, 2009

I Honestly Have No Idea How You Can't Love This Book!

This and LASSIE COME-HOME are the two greatest dog books of all-time, and you would be hard-pressed to find someone who doesn't just love this book.
Violence is the only issue in the book. There are some intense coon chases, a bloody fight with a bobcat, and the saddest ending of all time, which may affect some younger readers. I believe there is also one "d**n".

Kid, 12 years old Written bymeganphil January 4, 2011

5 Stars No Doubt

This one of the best books that you will ever read. You will especially connect to this book if you are an animal lover (I am). This story is heart warming and the way the author wrote this book, you'd think you were actually there!! I reccommend this to anyone who is looking for a gripping read that will entertain you throughout the whole book. Where the Red Fern Grows is one of those books tht you never forget.

Teen, 13 years old Written byMOVIE13 September 11, 2010

Sad story

the book was filled with, adventure, peril, contests, fights, and death, This book is not for very young readers.

Kid, 11 years old Written byRubyne January 15, 2011

Amazing <3

Amazing book. My sister wanted me to read it. We made a bet to see if I would cry or not. If I cried then I give her a dollar if I don't I give her a dollar. I owe my sister a dollar. :'( I really did cry at the end. It's such a cute and sad book.
~
I don't want to spoil the story but I'll just say the book did say things about blood.

Kid, 12 years old Written byNewbery Booker September 1, 2010

GREAT BOOK

GREAT, im 12, read it, cried a llitle, laughed a little. At the edge of my seat the whole time!!! Recommend it for ALL ages!!

Kid, 11 years old Written byppol March 12, 2010

This is a great book that I highly recommend to anyone over the age of 11. The book is probably too violent for younger kids. The book describes in detail the gory scene of a boy falling on an axe and splitting his chest open. The book says "I say a small red bubble appear from his mouth, then it popped and he fell to the groud lifeless and limp." A lot of my classmates (11) were disturbed. I wasn&#039;t, but of course I&#039;m trained to handle emergency surgery in brutal situations so I&#039;m used to that stuff. The book also describes hunting in detail but is ok. A great classic

Kid, 11 years old Written bymarah000 January 7, 2011

perfect for tweens that have a higher reading level

i think that some kids are to emotinal to read it so thats why i dont think its a good book for 9 year olds.

Kid, 11 years old Written bylaurentien47 January 17, 2010

I am reading it for my 6th grade class and the book is ok but it is kind of boring. I wouldn&#039;t be good for kids under 13.

Teen, 14 years old Written bybook_worm217 December 9, 2010

That i love the and other thing are awesome about the book.

Kid, 11 years old Written bykari305 December 6, 2009

Great for 6+ graders

It was a good book but not an excellent one

Teen, 13 years old Written bypocky April 9, 2008

Boring. Horribly boring.

In my school, you must read this book before going to middle school. I didn't like it at all. The hunting for sport is wrong, and it's not the subject I'm interested in. I'm the only one in my homeroom who didn't like it, I found it boring. You would like it if you're interested in boy-and-dog stories set in the countryside.

Kid, 10 years old Written bykiley jo August 2, 2010

e.g. Perfect for older kids and tweens

sad but very cute. i watched it in my class and most of the girls cried so did i. VERY CUT MOVIE & BOOK!!!!!

Teen, 13 years old Written byvivianxiao May 2, 2010

Okay

It was okay for me. I'm not a dog-lover, so maybe that's why I didn't love it too much. Parts of it were slow for me, probably because I like action more. Still a wonderful and moving tale though.

Kid, 12 years old Written byMadidog February 7, 2010

Perfect for older kids

I haven't finished reading this book yet, but I like to read sad stories for some reason. Anyway, I really like this book, and before I started it, I thought that it would be kinda weird, and that I wouldn't like it, but from the beginning, it caught me, and now I can't stop reading!

Teen, 13 years old Written byleftbehindcrazed8 June 30, 2011

GET YOUR TISSUES!!

I read this book for summer reading and it brought me to tears multiple times. Here's what I think:
ROLE MODELS: Billy is very loyal to his dogs, and does what he can to save him, even if it means risking his own life. Little Ann and Old Dan stick with Billy and are there for him.
VIOLENCE: Little Ann and Old Dan are killed by a mountain lion, and a 14 year old boy trips on an ax and his killed. (but not without blood and gore!!)
LANGUAGE: D--n a couple of times, Billy uses h--l twice, and b---h