All teen and kid member reviews for Why We Broke Up

Kid, 12 years old Written by Swim3456 June 20, 2012

Wonderful book, but not for younger readers

This book was a great read. I could not put it down from start to finish, but even though it is an awesome book, I wouldn't read it if I was under 11 or 12 years old.
I read this book when I was 11, and my mom and dad had no clue what it was about. By reading the back, you think that this is just a book of letters to a girl's boyfriend, well, in one sense, you were right, in another, you were not. I read Why We Broke Up eagerly. Most of the stuff in the book went right over my head. It wasn't until I was halfway through the book that I found out what sex really was. I used to think that people just lay in bed kissing, and then, WHALA a baby appeared. Haha, boy was I wrong.
Even though this book doesn't say "and then I had sex", it gives a pretty good hint, and it describes it too. This book also deals with cheating, break-ups, and alcohol.
If you are a parent reading this review, If I were you, read the book first if your child is under the age of 12. You don't have to talk to them about it, just read it to see how it is for your child. if they are more mature, go ahead, let them read it, they'll love it.
Overall, I loved this book and i would highly recommend it.

Teen, 13 years old Written bySexy senorita May 27, 2012

Why we broke up :)

Its a great read and I gave it to my cousin who is 12 and she LOVED it! The sex scenes arent really that graphic so it fine to read :D

Teen, 14 years old Written bybeatricethebaticeer March 12, 2012

Clever and true to life.

Daniel Handler's first YA novel succeeds with flying colors. (Nearly literally in the case of the wonderful illustrations.) Min's voice feels true, and so does the way she constructs her life around her in accordance with her beloved movies. Some passages in this book are absolutely wrenching to read, but it has a hopeful end.

Teen, 14 years old Written byJTDB May 25, 2013

OK book is annoyingly repetitive with metaphors

I liked this book. It's not amazing, certainly not the best book I've ever read but a good story all the same. The way the book is written is probably one of the more interesting parts. Similiar to Thirteen Reasons why, 'Why We Broke Up' is told through Min's eyes and she tells the story not over a natural timeline but through items she's giving back. Each chapter is a different item. She will tell the story of that particular item and then relate it to a reason for their breakup. Maybe it's just me but I really don't enjoy a book when all metaphors etc revolve around one topic, in this book it's old films in 'Slam' its skating. This feature just puts me off and makes me think that the narrator is narrow minded and shallow. Who knows? Maybe you might like it but that's just my opinion....
The language used isn't too bad, words like s**t, f**k and other rude words used in the wrong context to deliberately put down others.
There is sex but the description lasts all of 6 sentences. If that.

Teen, 13 years old Written bytrustytruth20 September 25, 2013

OK

its an ok book can get really boring at some points other wise its cool some language and not very violent or sexual

Teen, 13 years old Written bydanechka365 October 28, 2013

It has some sexual parts to it but overall, great book!

I extremely liked this book! But i read it when I was around the ages of 11-12. I had to stop reading it when my mom found out about it. But now since I'm older, I finally finished it :)! I agree with most people that there is a lot of sexual parts added into the book and swear words but at the time, my mom didn't really care about the words, but the content. There is also some drinking added in (such as at parties or at home). If your kid is interested in reading this book and is younger than 12, I don't recommended that. But it's always your choice as a parent/guardian. If they are DYING to read it, still (my opinion) don't give it to them. In my opinion they should not be reading books with drinking and sexual parts in it at that age. You can talk to them about "sexual things" and swear words, but as my mom said before when i was 11, "Wait until your older to read it!" But as I said before, it's ALWAYS your choice as a parent :) I really hoped I helped someone out there (such as parent or 12&under kid)!!! Thanks guys! :)

Teen, 13 years old Written bynlawson21 February 22, 2014

great, but not for younger kids

my older brother gave me this book because he knew I was really advanced for my age. This book was really good, but i wouldn't recommend letting anyone under the age of 13 read it for two reasons. one, there are a lot of sexual references, like two characters having sex; and there's a lot of bad language, including "s**t", "f**k" and calling people "gay" and "fag". the second reason is because there are a lot of big words and references that younger kids might not get. But this is a truly good book, and i highly recommend it, just not for younger kids