Kid reviews for Wildwood: The Wildwood Chronicles, Book 1

Wildwood: The Wildwood Chronicles, Book 1 Poster Image

Awesome book!

If you want to start a new read aloud series, then choose this series! The beginning is a little slow, but it gets better. A lot better. It has a lot of big vocabulary words like, Epaulet, haunches, basilica, artillery, and tumultuous. So put this book on your reading list and Read, read, read!

1 person found this helpful.

Amazing, a Giant Book, and a Huge Adventure!

AMAZING! This book is so good, but the sequels are a little scary. If you like adventure and suspense, then this would be a great match. Wildwood is still a little bit scary,but it's a big book, and it's full to the brim with amazing adventures. Wildwood is a great thing to read, and you should definitely read it.

1 person found this helpful.

An expert weave of forests and fiction...

The story is so rich and full of detail and life that I immediately fell in love with this book. There were a few moments, like when the eagle general gets shot down, that may need a level of maturity to keep from crying (which I unfortunately did not achieve) and it is a pretty long book, but every space on every page is necessary for it and it just wouldn't be the same experience without all of the backstories and perspective changes. Recommend to anyone and everyone who loves a good fantasy book.

One of the Best Books of all Time

Wildwood is a spectacular aventure/fantasy navel about 12-year-old Prue who's baby brother gets abducted by crows. Determined to save him, Prue ventures into the IW, Impassable Wilderness, to save him, where her classmate Curtis tags along. Prue and Curtis are soon thrust into an amazing adventure full of surprising and terrifying things like coyote soldiers, bandits, a vengeful governess, and bloodthirsty ivy. There is some violence and gore, so I don't recommend this for young and sensitive readers. Additionally, Colin Meloy's writing style is breath-taking, includes unique vocabulary words that kids won't find in many other places, and spares no detail. Some words may be hard for younger kids to comprehend, but if you can at least guess what they mean, then all those tricky words are super fun to enjoy. Carson Ellis also captures the book's dark humor and adventurous attitude in her illustrations scattered throughout the book. In other reveiws, I've noticed that some people didn't like the sequels nearly as much as the original book, but I completely disagree. Under Wildwood is a little bit different from book 1, but certainly not in a bad way. WIldwood Emperium, book 3, did not dissapoint either. All in all, Wildwood (and all its sequels) is a joy to read, it includes beautiful images, and has a striking and unique story line.

The best book

just a amazing book, the pages with fly.

Not a very exciting book.

I read this book a while ago. It wasn't very exciting or entertaining to me. It was so long, my teacher let me read it as two books for our 40 book challenge! The main idea is creative though: Prue's baby brother, Mac, gets kidnapped by a murder of crows, and Prue is determined to get him back. I didn't continue reading the rest of the series because I didn't like the first book. Others might like this book better than I did.

Best Book Ever

Wildwood is a great book. Even though some great characters die in battle, the story is amazing. Twelve year old Prue McKeel's baby brother is snatched by a murder of crows, and that's just the beginning! With classmate Curtis, she journeys through the Impassable Wilderness to retrieve her brother from a murderous mad woman. In this adventurous tale, we are taken all over the IW. Colin Meloy and Carson Ellis did an awesome job with this book. I can't wait to read the sequels.

Absolutely Amazing!

This was a great book! I would recommend this to a lot of people. I devoured this book in a week, there IS violence, however, it is not that much. If you are not a fan of violence - or just don't like a lot of it, then I would still suggest this book. The violence is not as much real-world stuff, it is more like animals dying, etc. This is kind of a slow moving book from the beginning. Still though, read it! There is magic included and trying to bring her son's spirit back, etc.

Awesome!

It is an amazing story with lots of great vocabulary. The plot was good and the characters were awesome role models Because they stand up for themselves even when adults doubt them . The only part that is a little scary is the part where Alexandra tries to feed Mac to the ivy. It uses great technique in story writing my favorite character is Brendan. I like that he is so kind and nice,he is also a great fighting character; he plays big scenes in the end.I also like how Curtis goes in after Prue even though he didn’t have to and that if he didn’t he would just live a normal life but instead he decided to take an adventure. I also like to help Curtis stood up to the dowager and stood up to say what was right instead of letting the adults to push you around . I also liked that it was a good book for our political times, especially the part where the birds were arrested and rounded up in Southwood. It took great courage for Enver and the Postman to stand up to authoritarian governments, and help Prue escape.