All parent member reviews for Age of Empires II: Age of Kings

Adult Written byLkc159 December 29, 2009

Great soundtrack, and emphasizes on importance of strategy. Also brings economics into the picture and teaches the importance of having both a military as well as an economy to support it, for "an army marches on its stomach, or so the old saying goes" :D

Also got me interested in learning about the various characters and heroes portrayed in the game as well as their roles in history (Frederick Barbarossa, Genghis Khan, Joan of Arc, Saladin, El Cid, Montezuma, etc) and teaches history quite well. It also manages to follow history (for the most part) and is not too hard for even a beginner player.

Adult Written byTemplar314 December 23, 2009

Level of violence is not a major concern

Strong points: great music, straightforward controls and gameplay, provokes curiosity about history, various civilizations cater to different gaming styles while still having the same fundamentals

Weak points: With the MSN Gaming Zone offline, online matches are difficult to coordinate.

Adult Written byrisavine April 9, 2008

Challenging Game overall

Although the object is to build a society my child uses it to conquer enemies. When people are killed they turn into small skeletons and then disappear after a few minutes. <p>At first I was completely opposed to the game but feel that overall it is a strategic game with less violence than most Saturday morning cartoon shows.
<p>My child is 9.

Adult Written bymnmiller April 9, 2008

Challenging Game overall

<p>My child is 9.

Adult Written bycoolcarle April 9, 2008

very entertaining

Adult Written byRancid Gas February 3, 2009

Great game for long play.

This game is more for someone with the patience and thought process of long term games. Friends and I have complained that the game does seem to favor the computer AI, since it has the ability to make multiple selections a human player can't, as well as the rush attacks can be very frustrating.

I like that it has some foundation in history and if you take the time to listen to the storylines, it can lead to an interest in actual historical events.

Adult Written byfree_bsd_baby April 9, 2008

Very historical battle simulation, good for teenagers in high school

This is somewhat challenging game, involving numerous amounts of strategy and reading. This game simulates historic battles and characters, such as Joan of Arc, Ghengis Kahn and Henry V very accurately. I personally never knew how a trebuchet worked until I played this game. This game involves a lot of strategy, and offers a multitude of storylines. If youre looking for a wonderful multiplayer strategy game this is it. There are few games that come close to the level of strategy needed for this game. As far as its multiplayer ability is concerned, it is wonderful, probably the best.

Parent of a 4 and 7 year old Written byboyita April 9, 2008

Definitely entertaining...

...I enjoy playing it, and the expansion makes is more fun. But I will not play it with my children in the room (they are 2 and 5). Although the violence is seen from far away, we had one instance when our 5 year old became upset when the villagers killed an animal while hunting. (Like they say, Know Your Kids!) As for educational value, it's okay... as a teacher, I find it minimal, but may be the only way to get some kids to actually get involved in what actually happened! Use only as support, though, to actual teaching. It does, however, help teach budgeting (spending resources on growth), as well as painting a picture of the work involved in setting up a functioning society.

Adult Written byBasileus Heraclius April 9, 2008