All parent member reviews for L.A. Noire

Parent of a 13 and 15 year old Written byJeannie97211 May 20, 2011

This game is great, the nudity is not nearly as bad as the review above makes it out to be.

As a parent, I was reluctant to buy this game due to its ratings, but I thought I would at least give it a try, so I bought this for 15 and 13 year old sons, and they absolutely LOVE it! I have seen them play this for a while now. When the game is rated M for nudity, that was my biggest concern, but it was not actually a big problem, the nudity is no worse than the nudity in the move "Silence Of The Lambs", they are only corpses and are somewhat covered up with a bag. The drinking and smoking is no worse than what you would see in a regular action flick and the same goes for swearing.

Parent of a 10, 11, and 18 year old Written bySteadFast Racing May 29, 2011

NOT FOR KIDS!!!

ADULT GAME - to expose kids under the age of 17 to this game is like introducing them to the depravity of this world up close. Yes, killings happen everyday but we arent exposed to the mind or methods of the killer. innocent minds should be protected from this. It is a good game but it is meant for adults, the game even has a character that is into necrophilia. Raise your kids responsibly, dont just give into their every wish or desire... our next generation is going to be afflicted with all sorts of issues because parents didnt filter out good and bad from the eyes and minds of young kids.

Parent Written bymr. adams May 28, 2011

a good game should be good for 13 year olds and up

my son's are 13 i didn't think it was a appropiate for them but i got it to make sure it wasn't bad but it was acually awsome its a really fun game the nudity isn't like strip clubs in grand theft auto they're just dead bodys with blood and gore and the drugs is just cigirettes and alchol'it was the 1940's" and cursing isn't that really bad just like any other games with cursing, and violence there will be gun battles or fights not like gang fights your just a detective in this game not a gang banger

Parent of a 13 year old Written bySoccermomsrthebest May 22, 2011

Ok for 12+

Bought it for twelve year old. He wanted it for his birthday. Almost didn't buy, it but decided to get him what he wanted. Ok for Tweens-teens.

Parent Written byMichele M May 31, 2011

Great for those who are decently mature 14-year-olds

I bought this game for my 14-year-old, whom I know is mature, and then sat down with him while he played through the first few missions. This game is not even close to as bad as the reviewer makes it out to be. The sexual content is practically non-existent, save for a nude corpse that was mostly covered by a body bag. Violence? Not an issue at all--especially if your kid has a Call of Duty game. The swearing is a bit much, but nothing more or worse than they would hear at school or in an intense PG-13 movie. Consumerism is not an issue and drinking/smoking is, again, no worse than they would see on the streets or even in your home.

L.A. Noire forces players to use creativity, critical thinking skills, and investigative thinking to solve the masterful puzzles in the game. The game also encourages players to take a non-violent approach to situations rather than a violent one. The main character, Cole Phelps is a good role model in that he almost never cusses and always tries to do the right thing.

L.A. Noire is perfect for mature 14 year olds or older.

Adult Written bythunderfunk1992 May 31, 2011

Film Festival Quality, but Not For Kids.

This game is extremely enjoyable, although if you wouldn't let your kid look at a mutilated, naked corpse, you probably shouldn't let them play this game. This is quite possibly the only video game that has made me think past, "where do I go?!?". Also, Cole Phelps has the be one of the best realistic role models in a game that I've ever seen. Good play, but not for kids.

Parent Written bysebnamnam August 20, 2011

not bad for a 14 year old or mature 13 year old

it is not that bad of a game i bought for my self and let my 13 year old son who just had his birthday watch a bit of cussing yes but all in all not bad with that sex none no sex i finished the game and eventually gave it to my son only nudity is once or twice almost all plastic in a bag you can not see it bottom line is its not that bad people who dont even know about the game listen to others who know nothing and gives games a bad reputation just becuase it says it has something dosent mean it all does they started making ratings to over protective ever since gran theft auto san andreas if it was then the rating for sex stuff would be partial nudity and thats it sex is my biggest thing for my kids the other people act like its san andreas when its not i know whats right for my kid and honestly the only thing you should be worried about is a little bit of gore if they play mortal kombat or black ops they should definetley be allowed to play this

Adult Written byMr. Lovewell August 18, 2011

Little Jimmy's a Detective!

First of all, let me begin by saying this isn't your average game. You don't go around assulting people for their money or possesions, like in Grand Theft Auto. In L.A. Noire, (Which took 7 years to make, by the way..) players will be performing various investigations pertaining to cases involved with being an LAPD Officer. You are Cole Phelps, and must work your way up the police force and solve bigger and badder cases. Cursing is an issue in the game, as with most crime shows, the good guys use tough talking to get their answers, and that's something not ignored here. Naked corpses can be seen, and you must examine them for clues in order to get the bad guy. The characters drink and examine various drugs, and also talk about some adult stuff. This game is for the big boys, but if you think junior can handle it, then purchase the game, and prepare yourselves for the greatest crime drama the gaming world as ever known....

Adult Written byavidgamerdad July 22, 2011

Cutting Edge Crime Thriller

This game is on the cutting edge of technology. The graphics are wonderful, partnered with a well written story line and fairly easy gameplay, while still challenging. My problems with this were the contents. There is full frontal nudity of three separate females. There is no bag covering anything like the one reviewer said, I really don't know where they got that from. The language in the game is also a very big problem. It is extremely foul and should not be something you are exposing yourself to no matter how old you are. Overall it is a great story and a fun play through but concurrent with that is a barrage of inappropriate contents.

Parent Written byGameView September 20, 2011

Its ok for kids!

La noire is fine for kids ten or over the violence and bad scenes are not set so bad.
If you did not let you son/daughter get Grand Theft Auto then
let them get La noire.
it is realy ok i mean it has it scenes but it is ok.

Educator and Parent Written byDeyadissa December 10, 2011

Not that violent, nudity isn't that bad.

THis game isn't as bad as what people put it out to be. It is as violent as television is today with beheadings and such. That is why I reccomend at least 14 before anyone buys this for your child.

It is in fact educational, it makes several references to the war and about pearl harbor as well as the economy.

The nudity in the game is not full, it uses a blotch of black in the nether regions of the female to mask having to show it, instead it's pubic hair. It does show fully rendered breasts though.

Always remember, your kid does what he wants within his own power. There is absolutely nothing you can do in order to prevent him from turning out to be bad. A perfect example is myself, I am now 22 years old with an adopted child.

My parents did everything they could to stop me from viweing bad content, but in the end I always saw it from my friends or in high school.

I chose to be an educated adult, even when exposed to adult content from ages as early as 12 years old. My brothers and sisters didn't turn out so well because they chose to do so.

Always remember that.

Adult Written bypopo3343 August 5, 2011

LA NOIRE

Great game! I think that if you are mature enough you can handle this.

Parent of a 14 year old Written byFather and son July 30, 2011

a complex redemption story

WW II flashbacks give insightinto flawed protagonist, Det. Cole Phelps, and Jack Kelso, a OCS wash-out, who you think may become Phelps' nemesis, but becomes a straight shooting DA investigator who gives Phelps his shot at redemption.

The complex story and focus on interrogation strattegy may be too intellectual for younger kids. Know your kid. The nudity is incidental, gory and not enabled for leering. The swearing is nothig your kids haven't over-heard you say.

Adult Written byEducatorjohn123 December 16, 2011

Good game for teens and adults

Nothing to inappropriate for kids 14 and up. The only thing i believe to be bad is the language, but it is nothing teens haven't heard. I'd say that there is nothing you wouldn't see in a PG-13 movie. And the nudity only takes place in 1 mission, but you inspect the body a few times. And its not portrayed as your a gang member your a cop. So anyone 14 and up it should be OK.

Adult Written byGDTSP December 22, 2012

L a noire

Positive messages: crime does not pay. Role models: the main character is a policeman who does the right thing. Violence: the gun fights are few and far between, but there is a lot of blood, especially in the crime scenes. However, the game can be played in black and white, which would soften the blow. Sex: I have played a lot of this game and have not yet seen a nude corpse. A small reference to prostitutes near the start and possibly some sexual references. Language: the criminals usually swear when you catch them, but definitely not as bad as "grand theft auto" consumerism: probably a few R* logos around but they don't seem to be advertising anything real in this game. Drinking: a few cases take place outside a bar, and one victim was drunk, but the main character doesn't drink or smoke. A few references to drug busts. Privacy: with no real online features other than checking others scores, no problem here. Great game.

Adult Written byNovelist Anonymous January 22, 2012

Teens

L.A. Noire lets the player do everything a detective must do -- use logic, skills, and information to proceed and access the next level in each case. There are reasons a parent would not like their child not to play this game, but it's not as bad as you think.

Sure, there are naked women in the game, but only for the beginning of a only a few of many cases. It is only human anatomy, and I'm sure younglings would be frightening to see a naked lady.

I recommend it up ages 14 & up, because they are at the age they can begin to accept nudity, language, and adultery. If they do have questions, just claim it's not the right thing to do.

Adult Written byMrWatson June 18, 2013

Watson's Perspective

L.A. Noire is a game for mature players. Rockstar Games has dived into the dark world of crime in the 40's and 50's, and it isn't pretty. That said, it's one of the best games I've ever played. You play an investigator in the L.A.P.D., and much of the game consists of examining crime scenes and interviewing suspects (one of the best dialogue systems I've seen in a game).

Violence: moderate to strong. You'll do a lot of running around and shooting from a third person perspective, but it's not really the focus of the game. You'll see some blood, and the most noticeable aspects are a rather realistic effect that approximates the appearance of a bullet wound on characters who have been shot, and the violence done to the bodies that you examine as part of the investigations (one scene features a family that has been burned alive in their home).

Language: strong. You'd be hard-pressed to find a developer that puts more language in their games than Rockstar. They never shy away from portraying the dark side of things. That said, it's interesting to note *who* uses the language. Most games with a lot of foul language assume everyone uses it, but in this game, it's much more realistic. It's not in some characters nature to curse, so they don't. But if someone does, you can assume they know every expletive in the book as well as some creative derivations.

Sex: Strong. There is a lot of innuendo here as well as strait up discussion of the topic, and several cases relate to sexual crimes of one kind or another. Visually, there are several cases involving women found murdered without any clothing. The nudity is presented maturely, and the characters are not sexualized in any way. It's your job to deal with it, and that's what you do.

Drugs and Drinking: Strong. A major plot line involves drugs, as well as a number of other cases. Most characters drink and/or smoke. It's all here.

Despite all of the mature themes, and at times because of them, Rockstar is able to tell a truly engaging noire story. As soon as I launched the game, I was immediately hooked by the mood. Few games have engaged me so much, and handled such mature themes so well. Too often, games are labelled "mature" for their juvenile and inappropriate depictions of these things. L.A. Noire takes those themes and presents them just as you'd expect a professional detective to deal with them--and because of that, Rockstar was able to craft one of the most believable stories I've ever found in a game. For anyone mature enough to handle the admittedly very mature topics in this game, it is absolutely worth it.

Adult Written byGregH94 May 6, 2012

Excellent game

Excellent game, one of the best I've played in a while, but I'd recommend it for adult gamers only. Some of the crime scenes are very unpleasant.