All member reviews for Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots

Philosophical action game definitely for adults.

Parent of a 12 and 14 year old Written bythunder1 July 12, 2009

Fine for 10 and up.

Ok. Commonsense.com says this is only appropriate for kids 17 and up. Thats not true in the most. I have a 12 year old kid (just turned 12 not to long ago) played this. I played with to make sure nothing to bad was in the game. We played through the hole game and I didn't have to stop it once. Violence:Theres a little blood. You can find this much blood in e games now these days. Yes there are games but go see transformers and there are guns. Violence 9 and up (also blood can be turned off) Drugs: Snake does smoke but go outside of walmart and people are smoking. Drugs 5 and up. Sexual violence: All you see at one point his a girl wearing a bikini. Turn the tv on to a kids show on tv such as icarly and The main character carly wheres a bikini (swimsuit but same thing) at one episode. I think Icarly is worse then the "sexual themes" in Metal gear solid 4. The rest is ok. 10 and up and this is fine.

Kid, 12 years old Written byCharlieVitti November 15, 2008

Great Game

MGS4 is an epic title, as soon as you start the game you feel like you are making a difference in the MGS world. I have to admit, the graphics in the game kick A*S. You feel immersed in a real warzone, or forest or eastern european town for example. The story in this game is amazing, even if you have never played a MGS game before (like me) you'll imediatly catch on to the storyline. Now, my absolute favorite part of this game has to be the online play. You can play with up to 16 people at the same time. My favorite mode online is TD (team deathmatch) where there are two teams and you have to be very strategic about your position. Some maps work better for sniping and some work better for SMG and Assault Rifles and Handguns. Overall i give this game a 10/10, konami, this is your best title yet!!!

Teen, 13 years old Written bymuffinman April 9, 2008

Kid, 11 years old Written bytrishacool April 9, 2008

Adult Written byJefferry April 9, 2008

M? For what?

I have a 12 and 14 year old son. They both desperately wanted this game for their playstation 3. Even though I have never let a rated M game get beyond the front door, I decided to try it out. So I rented it and play through it for a couple days. This is my ratings.
Violence: IF blood is turned of (which I required to let my children play it) then its less violent then uncharted, heavenly sword, and warhawk. half of the time you dont even kill enemies, you tranquilize them, knock them out, or just sneak by them.
Sexually content: I noticed nothing harmful to anyone 10+
Language: Lets put it this way, you here more swears at a day of school then in this entire game.
Message: The main character is saving the world from a dictator who is trying to control the whole planet. So overall, if you kid is 15+ and getting good grades and does get agressive, I think you should let them perchase this game. Also keep in mind that if blood is turned off, then it probably would be a T game.

Kid, 11 years old March 1, 2013

LEARNING

i am a child

its not the worst action game out there theirs some cigars only just for the personality of the person not because he uses substance abuse its a war game so theres some violence little bit worse than halo not as bad as call of duty

Teen, 13 years old Written byMr Common Sense April 11, 2012

IF YOUR 11 YEAR OLD IS MATURE, MGS4 IS A GAME FOR HIM

EDUCATIONAL: MGS4 teaches you about the world through the director's, Hideo Kojima's, eye. The story is complex and the way it is presented can be convoluted; parents and children can discuss a better way of expressing his ideas, or what other mediums may have been more appropriate for his vision. POSITIVE MESSAGES: While the world of MGS4 is one of war, fear and violence, and some of the characters can commit acts of violence, the theme is one of pacifism. The game preaches against things that are affecting the world right now or may affect it in the future. POSITIVE ROLE MODELS: Snake isn't really a positive role model but you can only get the revered Big Boss award by killing nobody. The game encourages stealth, knockouts and tranquilising as opposed to combat; although some awards are for killing soldiers a certain no. of times. VIOLENCE: This is an issue. If the player chooses to engage in combat (which is not advisable, but an option) he can use grenades, mines, guns and knives to kill his enemies, each with a grunt/scream and splash of blood. If he has a soldier hostage, he can choose to suffocate him until he dies or slit his throat, which results in a large splash of blood. If he is injured, Snake's body suit may become stained red from his own wounds. In one section, he has to walk through a room of screaming, bloody, dying militia-men and he has the option to kill them all before exiting. There are also White Phosphorous Grenades, which are rather disturbing as they act like napalm and spread, burning everybody. In one sequence, the player has to hammer the TRIANGLE button to force Snake through a hall of microwaves which burn and almost kill him; in another, the main character contemplates suicide, which may frighten children. However, the game does encourage no-kills and pacifism and it is possible to complete the game killing only one person (Snake's twin, the final boss.) SEX: It is implied that two people have sex, and it is possible to squeeze a soldiers' testicles to incapacitate him; if you perform this on a female soldier they will punch you and mutter 'sexist/chauvinist pig.' Some characters are overly curvy and wear tight costumes and if you press TRIANGLE at a certain moment Snake will look up a lady's skirt (nothing shown.) LANGUAGE: Mild, infrequent cussing throughout. Nothing an 8 year old wouldn't understand and all teens hear worse at school daily. CONSUMERISM: None. DRINKING, DRUGS AND SMOKING: Snake smokes cigarettes, although it is not glorified and he gives it up in the end. Drebin, one of the supporting cast, is an alcoholic and he lets his monkey drink. Snake is given a drug injector which all soldiers use and can take anti-altitude drugs to stable his sniper aim. EASE OF PLAY: The controls are complex and yet easy. If you find it too hard, you're probably too young to play the game. PRIVACY AND SAFETY: There is online. VERDICT: From what I've said it sounds like a 'Not for Kids' but if you have any 11, 12 year olds you think are mature enough to cope with complex themes and some violence, MGS4 is a good choice and a brilliant game.

Teen, 15 years old Written byIsItgoodORnot June 5, 2010

One of the best games i've ever played!

Here's what MGS4 has to offer:
-A stunning soundtrack
-Fun gameplay
-and memorable characters.
SPOLIERS:
It's the only game I know where two old guys fighting can be so badass.

Adult Written byDemonOni December 29, 2009

MGS4, simply outstanding

Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots, is one of the PS3s finest titles. Fans of the series will undoubtedly indulge in the confusing yet brilliant storyline and come to appreciate the fantastic gameplay.

However, the game definitely isn't for everyone. The extremely lengthy cutscenes contain mammoth amounts of dialogue and for newcomers to the franchise, it will be extremely difficult to understand and appreciate the game's plot and Snake's struggle. Not the most entertaining game for the kids in this regard.

Parents, go by the rating on this one. Albeit not overly voilent, it's a mature game meant for mature audiences.
As for the smoking, the game warns players of the dangers of smoking and discourages it, but as a core component of Snake's character, it had to be in the game.

Kid, 11 years old Written bylegorocks3 November 28, 2009

Some kids could play it if its okay with there parents.

The game has fantastic gameplay.
A great story, and i felt bad for snake since his age gets older fast than normal age growth.
during installing screens it shows that you should take a break a hour for 15-20 minutes and tells you to put litter in its place and so on.

the games controls are pretty complicated at first but you will get used to them, but you probably wont master them till your second playthrough.
the games graphics are amazing, i can't believe people can do this.
this game is a superb action game is highly recommended for action lovers, shooter lovers *you can also go in first person mode, only when you have a weapon*, adventure lovers.

Kid, 11 years old Written byturkeys October 5, 2009

Teen, 13 years old Written byremmub June 1, 2009

AWSOME GAME!!!!

graphics are AMAZING!! this game is one of my favorites! the blood you can turn off, so thats not a problem. if you REALLY dont want to see anything bad of hear any bad words you can skip through the movies.

Adult Written bybelesparakazan April 28, 2009
Kid, 9 years old Written bygamerboi April 13, 2009

For goodness sakes people!!!!

Ok, if all you adults out there are like "blood?I do not like my kids playing games that have blood.". It is POWDER!!!!! still,you can buy this game!

Kid, 12 years old Written bySeto007 March 20, 2009

One of the Best games ever, But not as good as 3

First, I have to say, this game blew me away when I first played it. Improved Controls, Aiming, Graphics(by far), online and characters. The Plot, and Gameplay, are very good, but I just didn't find it as wonderful as MGS3. Metal Gear Solid 4 really isn't that bad for an M Rated title: There's blood and Violence, but it aint the bad, and the blood can be turned off. There's the occasional swear, when nessesary, and there's a bit of sexuality, but nothing a 4th grader hasn't seen. If you have a PS3, get this. If you have a friend who has a PS3 and this, sleep over at his. If you don't have a PS3, Get one, whith this! 9.8/10(Rounded to 5/5)

Adult Written byGeoff. January 13, 2009

What are you other adults thinking?

This game is M...sure, but think about the education that the other kids/teenagers will learn from the game.MGS4 is just as violent as MGS3, except when your blood splats on your screen (but that only happens if you suck) come on parents, let your kids live a little.
your friendly neighborhood reviewer..Geoff

Parent of a 13 year old Written bysonicfan125 December 20, 2008

Tsk, Tsk, Nintendo.

Putting a M rated enviornment (metal gear) in a T rated game (BRAWL!!!!!)
WHAT THE HECK!?!?

Teen, 14 years old Written byA Baby April 9, 2008

Should be rated inbetween a T and an M

I love this game and found it incredibly fun. I thought this game should be rated inbetween an M rating and a T.

Kid, 10 years old Written bysepet April 9, 2008

intense

very good storyline but a little to many cut scense only if you did not like the story line. over all easly 5 stars. oh ya great graghics. GET IT.