All parent member reviews for World of Warcraft

Adult Written byEverydayStudent February 24, 2009

This game ruins lives

This game is one of the most beautifully designed and intricate games ever designed. The game play in here is extremely immersive-it cannot be understood how much it is without you actually sitting down and playing this game.

I have played this game on and off for approximately 5 years. The players who play this game call it WoWCrack because it is the most addictive game you will most likely ever encounter.

This game as a previous poster stated will ruin your lives bc kids (and adults) will play this game for hours on end and spend there time away from the game thinking about the game and their "character/s".

No young child should be subjected to this type of alternate reality since it will ruin their desire to do normal activities such as watching tv, homework, hanging out with friends, playing sports, doing chores, or any other normal activity.

This game should not be played with anyone who is healthy or has a family and friends. This game should only be played by those that are seriously ill-that it affects their everyday normal active lifestyle, for the elderly, or for those that are truly hermits.

If I sound upset about this game, I am upset bc many people that I know in this fantasy world of Azeroth have ruined families and relationships that revolve completely around this game.

If you don't want your loved ones to spend 8+ hours on a daily basis playing a game in an alternate fantasy world then do not let them play this game-ever.

Good Luck and hope that you make the right decision...

One last thing this is a very very very difficult game to walk away from and quit.

Adult Written byHonestreviewer October 22, 2010

Fantastic RPG

Seriously LOVE wow. Great game play. Wow has everything a good mmorpg needs. The online community is BY FAR the best in any game i've played. Since there are millions of players there is bound to be swearing and other inappropriate comments made. That is why i gave it 16+ for a review. Other than that, there is no downside. There is the possibility for becoming addicted to it thought, but that could be controlled by the parent. Seriously fun game though. 15$ a month can get spendy, but if you need a way to justify it, think of it this way. you could, a) pay 15$ for unlimited playtime for a month OR b) spend 20$ on a cheap game that'll last you a week, and not only will it not last, but it will stay the same (generally). W.o.w. is constantly being updated, therefore you have completely different experiences each time you play.

Parent of a 7 and 8 year old Written byLoch September 5, 2010

Good for older kids, not for tweens

As an adult, I play World Of Warcraft Online (WOW). This game does involve several different chat capabilities from 1 to 1 chat to 1 to infinate chat. Your child can have safe filters turned on, but that does not filter out any sexual, racial comments made by players in the game. Some young kids will even join "guilds" which are groups for online players to help each other out. Some of these guilds have sexual explicit chatting that goes on. My approach to this game would be to play it online with my child so that I can explain anything that pops up from the game. Age I recommenrd is 16, but it depends on the maturity/independance of yuor child.

Adult Written bypattimom April 9, 2008

Caution: Addicting

I think this game is appropriate for 13 years old and up. Only big negatives: very addicting, so be aware of this and restrict game play accordingly. Use of parent filters is a plus. Secondly, since chat is a big part of the game, you child will be viewing what others have to say...the good and bad. Most players seem to be teens, however you should pop in and read what your child is reading and how he/she is being "talked" to. Make your own character and try it out too. See if you approve. Overall, good game, kids "meet" other kids from different parts of the world. They learn cooperative play, and really sharpen those typing skills. Just be involved with them and check in a lot. Limit the length of game play time.

Adult Written byCsomeSence August 15, 2011

These Concerns have no merit, WoW is perfectly fine!

Look everyone here is saying that this game is horrible for kids. Oh no you will get addicted and your life will be over for-everrrr.... In fact... no. I Bought the game in 2003 when it came out along with my friends at the time i was 10 now I am 18 years old have a girlfriend and am going to Dartmouth University next year. Typical kid growing up my life is fine and i still play. The money system and the skills needed to play can help with math and logic. If you are a parent worried about cursing for your child, simply disable the chat options or better yet join a private server especially designed for younger children. If worried about the drinking well I say good for WoW. They show you what happens if you get drunk, dizziness, disorientation and other bad results. If you still think its bad than simply tell your child that that is off limits tell him or her that entering into this area will result in account suspension and loss of serious brownie points. And the thing about sexual explicit parts of the game. If you think thats bad than take your kid to look at a magazine stand. That is much more sexually explicit.

Parent Written byLDSWarrior March 19, 2010

Entertaining but HIGHLY Addictive,

My opinions are mixed. <=>

I feel that games are meant to stretch and develop minds, and off the bat this game is heavily addictive. <+> Pro: It is a great teamwork developer, teaching to work together and fight in teams. <+> It also allows a child to imagine and dream up a world. <+> Beating later high level bosses and dungeons of the game requires significant amount of strategy and planning, not only in teamwork but also in strategic placement both physically and timing.
< - > Cons: HIGHLY ADDICTIVE. < - > A game that never ends will have a child that never stops playing. . . . .Ever, < - > While social interactions are present, these social interactions are cornered, people that I want my kids hanging out with do not sit on a computer all day for one Head-plate or shield. < - > It teaches a child and fuels the desire that where you are at is never good enough, there is always something better, something bigger, and you can never reach that state. ( (( Final Conclusion )) ) If you never want to see your child again, invest a few dollars in this game. He/She will never be the same again. And will have mental addictions for the rest of life, if not watched will return to the addiction and ruin life. [[[[[ This is a review, I played the game, and it took years to get me off. I still have to stay a large distance away from it. Don't touch this game, ever. ]]]]]]

Adult Written byMoophassa June 8, 2010

Stop it! Stop it now!

Don't get me wrong, I don't think this game has too much violence or drug references or anything of that nature for a prepubescent child to view, rather as a World of Warcraft player myself, I would love to see less and less of your illiterate and highly obnoxious children in this game. Especially in trade chat, but I digress. One major point, as I know you will likely give in to your child despite my selfish review giving advice to the contrary.. PLEASE.. for the love of all that keeps me sane, do NOT buy them a headset (earphones with a microphone built in) and if they mention anything about downloading a computer program called Ventrilo or TeamSpeak, do us all a favor an put your foot down. We do not want to listen to them during a raid. And before you flag this as inappropriate, at least consider what I've said.

Parent of an infant, 3, and 6 year old Written byskcmz November 9, 2008

I'll Admit...

When I first heard about this game I thought it sounded stupid, but then I downloaded the free trial. Within 2 days of having the free trial I bought the game, a month later, the BC expansion. I am addicted. Anyone who says to put a limit of 45 minutes on a child to play this game has obviously not played the game enough. If you only want your child playing for 45 minutes every time they play, they'll never be able to get anything done.
There are things in this game called Instances - Dungeon raids. Those alone can often take two or more hours alone. So, if you're not willing to actually let your child play the game - don't bother letting them start in the first place!
I know (and raid with) seven year olds on some occasions. I think it would be a lot of fun to play the game along with your children, actually. But as I said, expecting no more than 45 minutes at a time is... really very stupid if you're going to let them play at all.

If you're an adult or don't have crazy parents: play the game!! It's a blast!!

Adult Written byhandygeek April 9, 2008

10-12 year olds should be OK with this with proper guidance and supervision

Purely a game of entertainment. No real value - think of it as popcorn. You can eat a lot of it, but it won't give you much nutrition. It is quite delicious, however. :) If your child wants to play, get two accounts and play WITH them or watch as they play. I would not let a child play without supervision, however. It's a chat fest in there.

Adult Written byvalfyre December 26, 2009

Not for the novice gaming parent.

I have been playing World of Warcraft for almost 2 years, and my oldest daughter has finally taken an interest. She is 9 and is very bright for her age. She is more than capable of playing the game, and understanding the basic concepts mechanics. There are some great things you can do to make this game playable, and highly enjoyable for younger kids like my daughter. How do you accomplish this?

Keep the game sandboxed.

What I mean by this is, try and limit their playtime to areas that are nearly devoid of other players, and out of the huge chat channels with hundreds of people talking at once.

Choosing the correct "newbie zone" to level in is big. I find that the "BC" races, Draniei on alliance side, Blood Elves on the horde side, are best. Their starting areas are filled with rich quests and good low level loot, and will typically have very few other players around.

Also, having them work on tradeskills is a nice way to make the game a little more complicated for them, but also allowing their character to be self-sufficient. Make sure they pick skills that work for their class. For example, if they pick a mage..pick up tailoring and enchanting. If they start a Paladin, pick up mining and blacksmithing. This will allow them to gather materials while they play, and create their own items, which my daughter LOVES.

There are many other things you can do, like turning off the trade and general channels, and limiting your childs playtime.

Unsupervised however... this game is not a safe place for kids. There are unrestricted chat channels full of the kinds of chat the internet is known for, and highly addictive gameplay. Your kids will get sucked into this game, and love every minute of it.

Parent Written byNutmeg700 October 24, 2011

Sensual/sexual Content in World of Warcraft

I played this game for 6 years because it is highly addictive. Because of my addiction I overlooked the sensual content in loading screens and pvp map screens and just about everywhere else. I had been approached sexually in the game and I've seen people using their characters for sexual reasons in the Inn rooms.
I don't play the game anymore for these reasons. If Blizzard would take out the women displayed sensually on loading screens and pvp map screens, I might still play here and there. They could have nice scenery screens that I have seen instead. It's not fun to watch my husband play, and continually see women displayed sensually in front of him constantly.
Anyway it is a neat game, but like I said it's too addicting, and there's too much sexual content.
Hope this helps

Parent Written bycatapracht November 20, 2011

WoW not for kids...

I have played this game for 3 years and can tell you that i would not let my children play this game. It is fun and provides lots of adult enrertianment. Chat in this game can be very disturbing and can not be avoided.

Parent of a 3, 4, 6, 9, 10, and 13 year old Written byGarb January 29, 2011

Great game for all ages with parental monitoring

This is a great game for kids and adults to play together with other people from around the world as well as friends and family from around town. You can learn a lot from the game and the people that you play with.
As with anything involving large groups of people, there are good people and not so good people that can influence the environment.
The game has a Guild system for like minded people to group together allowing for a safe and friendly online community.
While chat in major city’s can get out of hand, it can be filtered or turned completely off for younger players, limiting there contact with the more negative aspects of the game (which come from the other people in the world and not the game itself).
The Violence in the game is mild by comparison to many other games, movies and even basic TV violence seen today. That said this is a combat based game that is about questing and fighting against creatures, humanoid beings, and monsters of all kinds in order to progress in the game.

Parent of a 13 year old Written byohya August 16, 2010

fun

Adult Written bysaiyamtoblue11@... March 28, 2010

It is an ok game for ages 8 and up

i play the game it is sometome addtive i was addictied too it but only for about 2 weeks if your ok with fantasy things like lord of the rings then it should be ok for your kids but you can talk too peopele you don't now and wich they may ask disturbing questions like will you be my world of warcarft wife or something like that.

Adult Written byStarZero December 22, 2009

Most of the 'bad' here is either the peaple online, or folks that follow the cliche. I find WoW is pretty good if your on-screen pals are good.

1: "It's just sad" The cliche that peaple play it for hours? They also have to pay for it. Their (or the payer's) descition. None yer business what other peaple do.

2: "takes hours to do anything" If you're going to complain about paying for, shou;dn't you WANT to get plenty of playtime? Obviously, some things take longer than others, but guess what? You can ignore most of it.

3:"there's better free games" There's really not. I tried free games, and found without exeption that they were much lower quality, not well mantained, and the best items cost real money. To say nothing of the bots advestising gold for cash, which is rather rare on WoW. Reason being that Blizz enforces the restriction on it.

In short, don't just give up on it if you don't love it imedeatly. Imagine putting down Sheakspeare just because he didn't get to the point right away.

Parent Written byPlague December 14, 2009

Waste of life, and money. (WoW)

I played it for about 2 weeks and I just didn't see the point in it. I mean, 15 dollars a month is a LOT for an online video game. My brother loves this game and hes 32, pretty sad. Maybe a good game for Fantasy lovers who can afford the monthly fee and still afford food, bills, and ect. for the family. If not, dont even bother playing it.

Parent of a 2, 8, and 9 year old Written byLissieOne October 18, 2009

16 and up only

Ive played WoW for quite some time and quite frankly anyone under the age of 16 should not be allowed to play this game. The chat can be provocative, drug related, and just plain inappropriate at time and unless you are sitting over your kids shoulder watching their every move you cant keep track of them. and who they are talking to,. Be very careful

Adult Written bydaxina November 23, 2010

Perfect for older kids, but not for tweens

I love the game. I love the characters and enjoy it too much.
I got an site for the custom homepage of WoW..just click on www.sleeksearch.com...and enjoy the themes created for us.

Adult Written byAxeKilo April 28, 2009

Warning!! Very Addictive

I played World of Warcraft (WoW) for three years, i am 18 and addicted, although my addiction didn't get out of control, like stealing to play, skip classes, spend loads of money... etc. My parents caught the problem right before i spent all summer on it, and didn't get a job. I still play behind my parents back off and on and i cant seem to break my habit. If you think about playing this game i highly suggest that you do not. My friend got me into it and i wish i didn't even start playing. When you do a dungeon or a raid its a random drop, its like a slot machine, random chance. It consumed a lot of my time, you push to be better and better, but the game never ends, i was in the best gear and the best guild at 70 then the WOTLK and it all started over again. i spent about 8-9 hours a day on it from, 12:40 when i got off school to about 10 at night on school night and then weekend about 2-3 in the morning and sleep in till 12 and then do it again. I am writing this so that maybe i can help someone to not be addicted to the game. I have been addicted for 2 1/2 years and i recommend not to let your kids play, or for you to play!!!