Kid reviews for XCOM: Enemy Unknown

XCOM: Enemy Unknown Poster Image

Best Game I Have Ever Played! ;)

First off, I have been playing this game since I was 7-8 years old(My dad got it for me and helped me learn how to play). The violence is mild and can be partially diasbled, the DLC introduces MEC troopers, which can be scary but they are optional to make along with gene mods. Outsider Aliens don't even really show gore when you kill them. You get to know everyone inside XCOM HQ, and your team will never be lost with autosave and mission saves. The chryssalid was a bit scary for an 8 year old, however, if you are playing on easy mode, you can take them out without them doing any harm and just try to imagine them as normal spiders. Most gore can be disabled like the Operation Slingshot and the tutorial. The games offer a lot to think about, the multiplayer mode was fun and strategic (I played it with my brother), and the 18+ rating is A LIE! If I can beat the full game with ALL DLCS ON when I was 8, a 10 year old can beat the game with no DLC. However, if you are younger then 11 I recommend adult supervision in case you get a bit scared or need help as XCOM is a bit difficult, espicially the XCOM Base Defense, which should be turned off as it is quite graphic when Bradford goes into hand to hand combat with a fellow worker. VERY FUN however and I recommend for age 9+ (It was a bit of a stretch at 8 and I'm quite skilled at tactical games and beat XCOM on impossible ironman at 10 now). The language is mild, but if you are concerned just honestly play without the audio and just the cool music because most audio can be viewed on screen and/or is irrelevant. Have fun and stay safe!

The game isn't as bad with violence or language

Though blood and gore can be graphic, it is not frequent. Violence is between humans and aliens. Aliens death result in green fluids spurts. Human deaths result in blood splatter with a bit of gore. Language is rare but strong; @$$hole, f#!k and $h!t.

Great for pre teens and up

There is slightly bloody violence and bits of light swearing, but it could be too dificult for some younger gamers. But it teaches to care about your soldiers as if they die they are dead forever.

Scariest board game ever

XCOM: Enemy Unknown is a surprisingly good TBS (Turn Based Strategy, AKA, digital board game) with intense and punishing gameplay. Some of it's elements are fairly "hardcore", like the game's perma-death system and Ironman mode (every choice is final), so it's not for everyone. However, if you give this game a chance and brave the sharp learning curve, you may find it to be one of the best games you've ever played. But before I go to pieces talking about this game, I have to go over the CONTENT: VIOLENCE 3/5- #1 concern with the game really. CSM dramatized this portion some, so the games not as bad as they would like you to think. However, the game does still hold it's share of questionable content. The game involves lots of tense encounters with Aliens, and the only way to get out alive is to, obviously, eliminate the enemy. Most of the Aliens emit spray mucus colored blood when killed in a short, close up animation sequence. Others simply explode (the robot, cyborg variants). For the most part, these scenes are fairly mild. If the Aliens kill one of your soldiers, the same sequence ensues, except for a spray of slightly more graphic, red blood. The only time the game warrants its M rating, is when a certain, spider like alien attacks and kills a soldier or civilian. The player is treated to a short animation where the alien stabs the human to death and then implants an egg (Alien style) into the corpse (which later becomes a Zombie. In the end though, these scenes are few and far between, and limited by the so-so graphics. Most of the violence is T rated (if not all) and should not pose a major concern. PROFANITY 2/5- While there is little swearing in the game, profanity is present in dialogue and recycled phrases your soldiers will yell. The majority is mild and scarce, but impossible to miss. Some more severe language (S-word, F-bomb) is supposedly present as well, but I do not remember hearing either (Certainly not the latter). SEX 1/5- This is a real stretch, but on at least one map, there is a poster of a bikini clad woman in a store. This is so mild and easy to miss, that neither ESRB or CSM mention it. IS IT FUN? Personally, this game is one of my favorites, The difficulty, slow pace, and perma-death can annoy some, but to me, they only add to the intensity of the game, and pleasure in winning. It's a fun game, and by now it's a cheap one as well, so don't hesitate to check it out, I'm sure you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Scariest board game ever

Why is this 18+?

CSM seems to want to slap a 18+ sticker on any game that has the slightest bit of Gore. There is a Gore and profanity slider. Why is this like this! The violence isn't even that bad!

PEGI Rating is over the top

Before I start this review, let me get a few things cleared up. One thing that many are confused about is the official age rating. If this game is bought within the UK, the outside cover age rating is displayed as 12. As soon as you open the disk it tells you its an 18. The 12 rating was by the BBFC which says: "The violence is balanced by the significant strategic aspects of the game, such as the building of installations and weapons, and by the decision-making on research into the aliens, without which the player cannot battle effectively against the enemy. Accordingly, the game is not focused solely on fighting and killing." PEGI rated this game 18 for: "Extreme violence" Now, I'm more inclined to agree with BBFC as there reasoning makes more sense than a simple extreme violence proposed by PEGI. As with most things, please don't set these ratings in stone, I would not recommend this to anyone below 12 and even 12 is cutting it. 13 would be the bare minimum but please understand your child and what they may be sensitive about. For this, I've compiled a small list of the main features that may alter your decision: - The game is hard. Really hard. You need alot of patience for this as it isn't the most forgiving of games. Easy is hard enough on your first play-through so don't expect to win easily. - There is some blood, red for humans and green for aliens. - Some swearing, although it's something you never notice particularly and you will hear things much worse at school/social media etc... - Chryssalid life cycle. This is one of the more disturbing aspects of the game. You will encounter a type of alien on one of your missions. It will kill a human, implant its eggs inside him and turn him into a "zombie". At this point he will walk around for a few turns damaging your soldiers (or attempting to) and after the incubation is complete,a newly formed Chryssalid will come out ready to do this again. - You can get mind controlled where your soldiers will turn on each other. It's probably best to consider this list but other than that, It's certainly a good game. If you can, it's probably best to watch your son/daughter to see what they do.

14 or 13

Okay so I played this game and it wasn't as violent as most games I've played and there is no swearing that I've heard so far that's too intense Like f*** s*** or bi*** or ba***** so it's not so bad with swearing but the violence is just shooting but it isn't too graphic and Gore isn't shown unless if blood is considered gore but the main reason this game is rated M or 18+ is I think because of the tutorial:the tutorial shows you how to play the game but there's also a part in the tutorial where you see a person who's almost dead who is covered in blood and dies later. Then you see another man who is sort of sitting down in a bus waiting thing or something and his insides have become out sides. But there is a way to bypass most of this and it works for consoles too when you or your teen starts a new campaign go to,advanced options by pressing x or □ and disabling the tutorial then you can't see any gore or violence in the tutorial but the problem is that your the player might find it frustrating to play the game so you can instead look up a video on how to play the game. Another thing that I need to add is that this game can feel real and imotional because whenever a soldier dies you may feel quite sad because you don't have a lot of soldiers and each of them have unique abilities. Also this game is not for people who just love shooting enemies because you need to order your soldiers to find cover and use abilities such as medkits and grenades so it requires a lot of thinking. By the way its a really great game :D and I would recommend it to anyone who wants a strategic challenge. If this review didn't help you. Check out civilization 5 I heard its similar.

The rating on this game is too damn high

Having played this entire game through twice, I find the ratings on this game absurd. This game is a tactical turn-based strategy that pits an alien force against humanity's 'XCOM Project', who defend the Earth from threats by the aliens. The most language you will ever hear is "Oh my god, get me out of here!" followed by a panicking soldier running away and/or shooting at someone or something. There is absolutely no swearing, unless you're dangerously sensitive. E.g, "damn it", "oh god"