Parent reviews for 2001: A Space Odyssey

2001: A Space Odyssey Poster Image

Mesmerizing but Slow with Evolutionary Propaganda

2001 A Space odyssey can have polarized opinion or rating. I chose to give 3-stars because the movie is visually and musically marvelous. The special effects are intriguing, especially when you consider, it was made in 1968 (without any CGI). It is very very slow, so if you are looking for a fast paced, space adventure, you will be disappointed. However, if you are looking for a thought provoking, deep movie experience, you will enjoy it. THEME: G.K.Chesterton once said, “When men choose not to believe in God, they do not thereafter believe in nothing, they then become capable of believing in anything.” And I believe it is apt for the evolutionary propaganda in this movie. The entire universe or at least our human world is shown to be controlled (profoundly impacted) by a rectangular granite slab (Monolith)!! It somehow imparts an intelligence to the primates and also futurist human society. This movie can be a great conversation starter with your teens about the origin, present condition and future destiny of our human race.

1 person found this helpful.
Some scary moments, but nothing too objectionable.

More like a documentary movie; still good thougth

R: some sci-fi violence

One of the most important movies of all time.

2001: A Space Odyssey is one of the most groundbreaking and important movies ever made. Not just in the sci-fi genre, but in all of movie history. It set the greatest visuals of its time, the epic music selection, and the amount of realism seen throughout the film. It also set the tone for some of the most classic movies from the 70s, 80s, and 90s, like Star Wars. 2001: A Space Odyssey was, and still is, an unforgettable milestone in movie history. I would definitely recommend this.

One of the best movies ever made!

2001 A space oddessy is a fantastic space exploration movie for all ages! It is not innapropriate at all but younger ones might get bored by it.

Hypnotic Film

This movie is really defined by its slow and methodical scenes which in turn lend to a very slow and calculated movie. Although not one of my favorite films, this film does have some merit. There are some tense scenes and themes, but, if your child can handle it, this could be an enjoyable experience.

Enigma solved

This is a classic sci fi film. Slow plot compared to modern films. It is famous for having an ending that no one understands but I can help you there. The late great Arthur C Clarke wrote a final book in the series, entitled 3001 - The final odyssey. This will help understand what 2001 was all about