Parent reviews for A Boy Called Christmas

A Boy Called Christmas Poster Image

Whimsical Folklore, Founded in Tragedy

I see that other reviews went pretty heavy into the parental death as a negative. However, I believe several important stories in my youth shared sad devices, left the protagonist overcoming hardship. I think it left my family with an opportunity to discuss death, sadness, and then even neglect when the aunt comes to watch the boy… I find these conversations healthy and I’d much rather have a chance to navigate these topics with my kids, so found this a good opportunity to connect on some hard topics. The main story line in my opinion was about children overcoming something they thought they couldn’t overcome, the short-comings of adults (adults aren’t perfect) and that sometimes hard times define people /leave people feeling let done by others- but there is often hope buried deep of a more magical life… if we all just believe in the good of one another.

1 person found this helpful.

Great family movie

This is a wonderful movie for children & parents. It is one you do not have to worry about anything being inappropriate. Just good kids movie all around. We parents enjoyed it as well! I rated at seven because it does have parts talking about the loss of his mother. But it is done wonderfully

Good movie

A few intense moments with chase scenes and a sudden death. It moves at a good speed. Very good story! Good ending

Attractive production, problematic plot.

First off, you need to know that women in this movie are either dead or wicked. Very classic fairy tale style misogyny. Next, we have exactly one black actor, and she’s teaching school children to be racist. Aunt Carlotta has absolutely no motivation to be in the story, her presence makes no sense. Next: no one in this movie understands how to wear a hat, and it’s a critical failure in multiple scenes. Other than that, if you’re okay with all the parents dying, this movie is visually attractive, and the mouse is adorable. I can’t for the life of me understand why the story is occasionally atrocious, because there is so much potential here. Also, the other female character is a wicked elected official, who is juxtaposed against a kindly monarch, who hears his people ask for health care, a living wage, and fair treatment, and instead says what they need is Hope. Which just feels incredibly disdaining to people asking for reasonable change.

Inappropriate for most audiences

At first glance, A Boy Called Christmas has a magical effect. There is a cute elf village, and it begins with a happy story of adventure. There is even a talking mouse. But when you dig into the movie's content, it is evident that the film took Christmas, which is meant to be a celebration, and ripped it to shreds. The negatives of the movie include: -Both of the main character's parents die -A child "elf" is captured by adults, chained, and caged -The elves are violent to other elves and humans If you thought those moments were dark, there are more dark times to come in the film. For instance, Christmas (the main character) suffers child abuse at the hands of his aunt: -forced to sleep outside in the snow -starved -forced to eat his own toys -has his pet thrown -eventually runs away Lastly, there is a significant element of consumerism within this film. Christmas "magic" is whittled down to a bunch of wooden toys and chocolates given out by the main character and a guy who looks like a pope or king. The film completely takes out the Christian element of Christmas.

Very upsetting death scenes

Our son is pretty relaxed about movies. He knows people are acting, it's not real, and he usually deals pretty well with mature themes. But when the father died in this movie, it sent our son into a full-body, shaking, sobbing fit that lasted 15 minutes. I haven't seen him this upset since he was a toddler. It deeply disturbed him. The death wasn't bloody or violent. The man falls off a cliff and you see his terrified face as he falls away. But then his son begins screaming and crying "Papa! Papa!" and everything feels very intense. I can see why he was so upset by it. Watching this was a huge mistake. I typically check out the reviews first, but took a gamble on this because how upsetting could a kids Christmas movie be, right? You've been warned.

Whoa - proceed with caution...

This movie is wayyyy darker than it lets on. The parental deaths come furiously and aren't really resolved or offset in any satisfactory way, and the cruelty of the aunt (taking the kid's beloved doll that his dead mom made him and making it into soup and tricking him into EATING IT)... I didn't need a Christmas family remake of Titus Andronicus. My 9 year old tapped out and she's upset, as are we. Also, I'm not Christian and wouldn't watch a religious movie, but the film's weird appropriation of Christmas where it's born of and applied to a magical realm outside of Finland is just... kind of lazy? Well made movie. Amazing cast. Beautiful to look at. Haven't read the source book, but.... yeesh. Be careful.

Trash

Don’t waste your time with this one. Not only is it sad, but it’s just complete made up trash and suggests that Christmas is some arbitrary holiday. You don’t have to be religious to know that Christmas is a Christian holiday. Even my 9 year old said it was stupid 15 minutes in. Who wants to watch a depressing movie, where parents die left and right, during Christmas??? Especially after the past two years! Hot garbage.