All teen and kid member reviews for Across the Universe

Kid, 11 years old Written bySylviaaa April 9, 2008

This is one of my top movies!

This is one of my favorite movies ever. Besides having great music and choreography, this movie had an interesting and deep storyline. It isn't just fluff.

Now on to the "inappropriate" material involved in this film.
1. There is nudity. It might make some younger kids go "yuck," but I say, what is wrong with the human body?
2. The characters do drugs, drink, etc. However, I belive this is okay if your kids know that these things are bad.
3. There are a couple scenes of fighting. This is the part where you should know your kid. Will they not be bothered by this, or will they have nightmares?

I think this is a great movie, but only a certain age group will enjoy it. Either you get it or you don't. Know your kid, or you might be answering questions the whole 133 minutes.

Teen, 13 years old Written bycarebear<3 April 9, 2008

Not okay...

The music was wonderful but some major things that changed my mind such as the nude images (ewwww) and all the drugs and drinking i would not reccomend this movie to anyone my age

Teen, 14 years old Written bytwilightxacross... April 9, 2008

amazing

This movie is amazing. Best musical since Moulin Rouge, as someone else mentioned. In fact, I saw it 6 times in theater, and now own it. I wouldn't recommend it for tweens, but it is appropriately rated PG-13. There is partial nudity, breasts and butts, but nothing too bad. And if to say "ew" and "it's inappropriate" is a bit immature. It's just the human body. The music was great, and it has a lot of meaning. (Do your research.) My favorite scene was definitely Strawberry Fields Forever. Beautifully done.

Kid, 12 years old Written byocie14 July 7, 2010

iffy but cool

this movie was good, but not appropriate for my 8 yr old brother. there is violence: jude is beat and bloodied, war is shown, and a child dies in a riot. sexy stuff: couples are shown in bed naked, and kissing. language: S and F word. there are also drinks and drugs. i really liked this movie but its not for everyone. there are lots of weird physcodelic images and stuff. but beatles lovers and mature kids should enjoy it

Kid, 11 years old Written byBookbug72 December 27, 2010

Overall amazing! A little bit inappropriate.

My favorite movie! May be a little intense for younger kids. Characters do use drugs although kids will have no idea what they are looking at. There is a little violence although nothing kids haven't seen playing video games. The worst scene of sex is an artistic scene where the two main characters are seen naked and kissing. Nothing bad shown.

Kid, 11 years old Written bystillconfused April 9, 2008

Great movie!

First off, the nudity. Common Sense makes it look like it's a big issue, but it really isn't. To tell you the truth, there's only two (or three if you count inhuman figures with completely pale skin) scenes with nudity of any sort, and one of them doesn't show a thing. One of them does show one breast, but it's very brief. I guess if you have a problem with drawn breasts, then it might be worse, but honestly, breasts pop up in art all the time.

The language wasn't that bad. A few s**ts and one f**k, but other than that, nothing drastic.

Of course, this film takes place in the sixties, so there's a lot of drugs and alcohol, but it isn't really a big issue.

The violence is probably the biggest issue, and to tell you the truth, it's nothing to worry about. A few scenes regarding the Vietnam war, with some blood, but no serious gore.

I actually think this would be a positive experience for your children. It can really teach them a lot about music, art, politics, and love. Definitely a thumbs up.

Teen, 14 years old Written byiluvKH April 9, 2008

Don't waste any time

People think this movie i great. I don't. It had pretty shots and interesting visuals but it might as well been released as a series of music videos. I've seen this story, how many times? Also it should have been rated R. There is frontal nudity. Artistically done? Give me a break. The girl rolls over in bed and shows everything. A girl in body paint shows everyting. Two people make out naked in the water. I applaud the music. The movie was horrible. Just watch three of the scenes.

Teen, 17 years old Written byawesomeredhead April 9, 2008

Love it.

One of the best movies I have ever seen. A beautiful movie, with beautiful singing by beautiful actors/actresses. Julie Taymor at her best, definitely.

Watch this film. You won't be disappointed.

Teen, 15 years old Written byMovieBuffMan123 April 9, 2008

sorry to be the first...

but i did not like this film at all, yes there is pretty colors, shots, and music but does that define a "good movie" in my opinion no it does not.This is just a shot at trying to resell and sum up the 60's and 70's to this generation of young people hoping to find something new and inventive but that has been around for quiet a awhile. But for your kids i would wait till they are at most 14.

Kid, 11 years old Written byShadow Addict April 9, 2008

Beautiful movie, great covers of great music

I went to see this movie with my family recently (I'm a total Beatlemaniac). It was incredible. I am waiting for the opportunity to go see it again, and believe me when I say I'll be getting it on DVD. Its use of The Beatles' music was perfect. The first thing I did when I got home was to put on my iPod and listen to Beatles music the rest of the night. Yes, there's some nudity and sex, but it's very artistic, and if your kid's the type who yells, "Oh my god, boobies!", then I'm surprised they like Beatles music at all.

This movie is a must see for any Beatles fans. Get your children into a whole new kind of music.

Teen, 14 years old Written bysuper mello January 11, 2009

Amazing movie

this was an wonderful movie. the covers of the beatles songs were really well done, and they were implemented well in the story line. it was a sweet love story, but it also had deeper, underlying conflicts. the story really portrayed the reality of the time period, wich meant that there were deaths, drugs, sex, protests, and other things that were really quite shocking sometimes. some of the war scenes were REALLY intense (i closed my eyes). but overall, i really loved the movie. the main charachters, Jude and Lucy, were charming yet believable. its a must see for all teens and adults!

Kid, 11 years old Written byyoyoyoyyoyoyo April 9, 2008

Teen, 14 years old Written bycheese-process March 12, 2011

A must-see if you're a Beatles fan!

This movie was not at all what I expected. I honestly thought it would be a typical love movie, but it had much more than just that. There is some nudity, but it's artistic instead of inappropriate. There are some drugs, though. If you're a Beatles fan, it's perfectly natural to criticize all of the musical numbers, especially at the beginning, but it gets much better as it goes along. It started out rather Glee-ish, but became more artful. Bono also makes an appearance! So yeah, if you're a Beatles fan, you simply can't avoid seeing this movie.

Kid, 11 years old Written bygirlswrite February 23, 2010

For mature people

I LOVE IT SO MUCH its my favorite movie ever but it has sex so its kinda bad but i still LOVE IT SO MUCH its fine for mature people

Teen, 14 years old Written byBilly Bobins April 9, 2008

a crazy but good movie

It was crazy but was a good movie. I don't know how it got the pg-13 rting though. it had drug use and alot of nudity. I think people 13 and up can take this bad content but i had to watch this with my brother.

Kid, 12 years old Written bydelirious mangos March 10, 2010

for mature Beatle Lovers

I LOVE this move, i also LOVE the Beatles. It has some positive messages, good role models and amazing music. The one nude scene is my only concern for sensitive people. It's message about the war and the protests are really intense but it is still an amazing movie!

Kid, 12 years old Written byStepup214 January 5, 2009

Good

My mom let me see it. She just watched it before and fast forwarded through the bad scenes.

Teen, 14 years old Written byDwight_fan April 9, 2008

I fell in love

with this movie it was spectacular the best musical since Moulin rouge! it was so good and the acting was really good I have found a couple of new fav actors as well all in all rent it when it comes out it is fantastic.

Kid, 11 years old Written bymoovieloover March 19, 2011

Fantastic.

This is a fantastic movie. Not to metion that I am a total Beatles fan. It deals with life in the '60s and what the war did to people. At one point it the movie (SPOILER) Lucy sees her boyfriends mom at home getting a letter that says that her son died in the war, that was heartbreaking, and the basic start of Lucy in the movie. I have to admit, I thought this would be a High School Musical movie, but I stand corrected. The music and singing was not predictable, exept in one scene in the end (SPOILER) when Lucy is "in the sky".

Kid, 9 years old Written bywwechampion April 2, 2010