Kid reviews for Akeelah and the Bee

Akeelah and the Bee Poster Image

Good idea, poorly executed

Good idea to make a movie about spell bee, encouraging all demographics to take part, but poorly executed. Toe-curlingly awkward kisses and hugs. Seems. like the movie makers have no concept of children's minds. Taking no responsibility for starting the discussion of consent, let alone showing it. Absolutely an awkward movie.
1 person found this helpful.

A little language but it's still a pretty good movie.

I like this movie because of the educational value and Keke Palmer aka (Akeelah) is a good role model in this movie. Dr. Larrabee is also a good role model, and he just about knows every word in a multi-language dictionary. I also liked J.R. Villereal aka (Javier) because he's just kind of a nice teenager who could always have better friends, basically Akeelah. Probably the worst character in the movie is Terrance because he mixes in the wrong company sometimes. There is obviously some language but nothing too bad, after all it is California. Overall, I think kids can relate to Akeelah the positive speller, Dr. Larrabee the genius in the knowledge of words, Javier the nice but somewhat naive teen speller, and Devon the soldier. Pretty good movie!!

My mom got this at a garage sale. We never watched it, but we brought it along with us on a road trip. We ran out of movies to watch, so, we either chose boredom, or thid. My sister and I watched it, hoping it to be not as crunchy as the cover. And to our surprise, it wasn’t that bad. It was old, so of course we could cringe at the wardrobe, but the plot was decent. Not to bad for a garage sale find.

Flo's review

It was amazing one of the best i have seen in a long time great role model is Akeelah for black kids like me

So good!

Some iffy stuff, but I loved it, I heart spelling.

Good spelling bee film has occasional rough language.

Akeelah And The Bee is a 2006 empowering movie directed by Doug Atchison and starring Keke Palmer, Laurence FIshburne, Angela Bassett, and J. R. Villarreal. Language(3/5): Uses of "a**", "damn", and "hell" are infrequent. One use of "s**t". Name-calling. Differences between races are commented upon. Sex(1/5): After kissing a girl, a boy says "you gonna sue me for sexual harassment?". This reference will go over kids' heads. Drinking, Drugs, And Smoking: None. Violence: Bullying. Some discussion of death. Positive Messages(4/5): Messages about having bravery, friendship, family, love, coping with loss, and not hiding away your intellect. Positive Role Models And Representations(4/5): Akeelah is a persevering and diverse role model who achieves the impossible. Quality(opinionated): Okay. Nothing too special, but it's a decent piece of entertainment. (My rating) PG For language.

AWESOME!

Akeelah is AWSOME

This movie is so good!!Some parts are funny, some are a little sad, and some parts are flat-out amazing!

Too much crap about spelling