Parent reviews for Alexander (2005)

Alexander (2005) Poster Image

Lots of Noise

If Alexander did as much talking and scenery chewing as Colin Ferrell does in this movie, he'd never have had time to leave Macedonia, and his own soldiers would have finished him off at about age 22. Add Anthony Hopkins' bored narration, Angelina's lips, "Macedonians" who were clearly from Ireland and Yorkshire, and somehow they managed to make the greatest conqueror of all time into a whiny cartoon character with bad hair. Lots of violence, sexual innuendo, but the only swearing is probably by the audience.

Meh. Its alright

As someone who is really fascinated by ancient history I had to enjoy this movie, but honestly it was sort of hard too. The movie has its downs, and by downs I mainly mean the nonstop gay love scenes that turn out to have no meaning to the plot whatsoever (thats why they are so hard to watch! they lack meaning..). However, the movie has some incredible battle scenes, and several great landscape shots which I felt to be very captivating. Most critics like to take shots at the actors but honestly I thought Val Kilmer and Angelina Jolie were fantastic, Colin Ferrall not so much (not terrible though).. If your interested in ancient history this is worth the watch, if not do not bother wasting your time because the movie does not possess a lot of depth.

Lots of violence + lots of sex = a movie not for children. Alexander isn't worth watching.

Violent and also...

Very depressing, dull and boring.

I wanted to throw up and I left the movie after 2 hours

Not worth a penny!

This movie grossed me out. Too much sexual situations that are not Christian based. I wish I could get a refund for my money and my time!
not rated for age

Even gay people thought this was a bomb.

The movie portrays in a light how difficult it was to be gay and have to take on a wife in order to carry on the royal family. It's always been done this way. However, beyond that, the acting is bad, the storyline is muck and I'll say for one that they paid more attention to the romance and the lust Alexander has for his love interests than for the actual meat of his character. It's hard to pay attention to what he actually did when the movie keeps reverting you back to his sexuality and love interests. I realize that it is important when you're doing a movie that you need to include all portions of the character because to do so simply to satisfy the droves of religious ideologs is irresponsible self censorship and an extreme injustice to the name of the person being represented. At the same time, you must not focus all attention on one issue. You either portray Alexander as a great leader who happened to be gay and was forced to marry a woman or you portray Alexander as a gay man who happened to be a good leader. One or the other. This isn't a movie intended for children or young teens to watch. It wasn't created for them, hence, not for then to watch. Older teens who know about sex and understand homosexuality shouldn't have a problem with this movie.