Kid reviews for Alexander (2005)

Alexander (2005) Poster Image

Alexander Revisited starts slow but is an enjoyable watch

Some pretty bloody battle scenes. An explicit sex scene about halfway through. I would watch this movie again.

Cheesy period drama for mature teens

Overall I thought Alexander could have been a big hit, if it was simply approached differently. Oliver Stone's adaptation is enjoyable, but there are many obvious faults and much room for improvement. You'll find yourself laughing at the awkwardness and cringe of the dialogue, and over-the-top acting. I have definitely seen better Greek history films. For the most part, it was just talking with a bit of sex and a couple battle scenes, including a big one at the start, and a big one at the end. There is also quite a bit of arguing and yelling, and using rude, blatant terms, especially for women. The movie can also be racist at times, referring to Indian and Asian people as barbaric. Sex was limited, but still graphic with standard movie nudity. (Men's butts, women's breasts, and one scene of a man's groin.) But other than that I can definitely say I have seen worse sex scenes. The violence was not at all bad, but it was of course bloody, with the standard battlefield gore, and had a couple really graphic death scenes. But again, if your kid has seen any other Greek/war films, it's about the same violence level as those. There is a very epic battle scene at the end of the movie with much bloodshed. But other than that, the rest of the violence is about what you'd expect. (Death by swords and arrows of course, stabbed, impaled, shot, decapitated, throat slit, limbs cut off, etc.) One thing that particularly stood out to me about this movie was the LGBTQ+ aspect. Alexander was portrayed as bisexual, having affairs with both women and men and having strong feelings towards his male friend Hephaestion. Many other Greek figures are also portrayed as queer, including Achilles and Patroclus. (Take that, Troy!) It was an excellent touch, and it was the only Greek history movie I know of that brought this factor in. Therefore, there are many slash scenes between male characters. As for the other aspect of sex, rape, there are two attempts, one successful. The first is Philip on his wife Olympias, a fail, then Philip on a boy at a party, not a fail. The scenes are not explicit, but still something to be aware of. Alexander is also really long if you watch the directors' cut, but I recommend it. It is very dramatic and romantic, and a must-see for any Greek/Roman history lover. But, it is quite cheesy and can be excessive and overly dramatic. This film likes to over-exaggerate things that didn't need to be touched upon. All in all, I would say 14+ for it, however I was 13 when I watched it. If you think your child is ready, I'd trust your gut. Greek and Roman seems to be trending as of recent, and I think many teenagers want to watch popular Greek history films like Troy, 300, Immortals, etc. I hope my review has convinced you to watch Alexander.

Save your money.

I'm a bit of a Classics nerd, and I've yet to find a film set in the Ancient world that impressed me. However, 'Alexander' was exceptionally bad. It's badly written, badly executed, Alexander for some reason has an Irish accent while his mother has a strange sort of Greek accent and the rest of the Macedonians have British accents... It's just a mess. And the way I see it, a film either has to be well-made OR historically accurate for it to be worth my while. 'Alexander' was neither. When I, as a 15-year-old girl, can pick out mistakes every two minutes, (like having him quote the Aeneid, which was written about 250 years after his death? Seriously?) then there is something seriously wrong. Also, this website says that there was explict homosexual situations? Nope. Not the case. It should have been, but no. There was countless instances of heterosexual sex, but when it came to Alexander and his life-long lover Hephaestion, they barely even kissed. It was cowardly of the director and for me instantly made me dislike the film. So I've kind of ranted and raved here, but my point is: don't bother. Complete waste of money. If you're interested in Alexander then go watch a documentary, and if you just want to watch a good movie... well, you need to keep looking.

not rated for age

Horrible! I had to cover my eyes.

I respect Alexander the person but the movie is terrible.I regret even watching it.

It's ok

the movie wasn't all that bad all though the story line was mixed up and it focused to much about him being gay it wasn't great but worth watching