Parent reviews for All Dogs Go to Heaven

All Dogs Go to Heaven Poster Image

Please review the movie before letting kids watch

Like many of the parents here, I distinctly remember having watched this movie as a child. When a beloved pet died, I thought rewatching the movie with my kids would make a fitting tribute. Let’s just say, I was mildly surprised to be confronted, nay, affronted, by crude animation and language that sputtered things like: hell, torture, kill, blood, etc. Quite disturbing and so painful to watch. When Charlie supposedly reaches heaven, there was strong sexual imagery between the dog and the angel but nothing can compare to the scene where Charlie reads a bedtime story to 4 or 5 year old Anna Marie. Set to sexy saxophone music, there was a very strong suggestion of Anna Marie as a Lolita and every chance for Charlie as an old dog to pounce at her. Her panties were showing, her eyes suggested naive (even lustful) submission and it was just all too much. I had to stop the video and apologize to my kids for such horrible imagery and language. It’s chilling how I thought I liked the movie as a kid. Now I guess I know why it stuck to my subconscious. It’s a deeply disturbing film. Please, review for yourself first if you plan to let any child watch.

Fabulous film

Loved this beautiful film as a little girl, still do. It's the perfect balance between real world happenings and the magic of seeing the world through your heart. The very few violent scenes aren't graphic, only suggestive and to keep the story moving. Charlie had to arrive in heaven somehow, and with a young audience in mind, it's been tastefully done. Honestly as a kid, my focus was only on the beautiful messages in this film, your heart really takes something away from it. It would be such a shame to miss out on the magic of this wonderful little movie, give it a go. You won't regret it x

My 7-year-old and I watched 20 minutes and gave up

The other CSR reviews mentioned there would be some violence: killing someone with a car is pretty epic but not for kids. The problem is that is that this movie is essentially a 30s mob movie, using dogs instead of people. Young kids don't understand what's going on. The entire opening montage is confusing. Why are the dogs running? Why are there steaks for the winners? I would be tempted to say that this is a grown-ups movie, but there will be some kids who understand and there are supposed to be some jokes in cartoons that are only for the parents. At age 7, the balance is off.

Childhood favourite

This was my favourite movie when I was about 5 so I’m totally biased. It had the right amount of scary to entice me but not to freak me out. I think a lot of kids would really enjoy this kind of movie. It’s definately not too violent, however themes such as drinking and gambling might fly over their heads. I remember connecting with the main characters and being emotionally invested. They were good people/dogs just trying to survive and in the end did the right thing. My 5yo self thought that was the most dramatic thing ever Rewatching it as an adult, I find the animation great and the mood is still there. Recommend

All Dogs Go To Heaven

Not a vey good move. The plot was everywhere. Too much violence for a kids movie. The whole plot revolves around a dog who has been murdered.

A dark movie with heart

Loved the movie, but I am not offended by the portrayal of life happy or sad. This movie forced me to explain Hell for the first time to my kids as they knew of only Heaven after you die and the movie had a shadowy figure that would belong in heaven. Story was cute, but some parts went over the heads of my 5 and 6 year old. Though the lesson of being selfless was not lost on them.

The "G" Rating is Misleading

All I have to say is that parents should remember that "G" in the 1980s meant something different than it does now. There are plenty of blatant references to or visuals showing smoking, drinking, gambling, etc. It is an enjoyable story overall, if you don't mind your child watching these things.

Good for mature kids.

When I was 11, this was my favorite movie, now it's just alright. Still, it's fun for mature kids. There is a nightmare set in Hell, murder, smoking, gambling, drunkenness, etc., so be warned before showing small kids.

You can't keep a good dog down!

For the parents concerned about the dogs gambling, committing murder, stealing, and other terrible things, those choices are portrayed as "bad". Those things are shown in such a way that when I watched this as a really young child (about 3 or 4 years old) it actually taught me that drinking is BAD because it makes Charlie too drunk to realize that he's being tricked into being murdered. It taught me that being dishonest hurts others because when Charlie lied to Anne Marie and then told Itchy he "was just using her" and was going to dump her at the orphanage instead of finding her a family like he promised, she over heard and cried. Charlie is flawed and when he realized that his actions hurt others he does his best to make it right. This is a movie that shows how our bad actions can affect others in negative ways and that taking the responsibility to learn from our mistakes and correct them that we can have a better life (or after life). It's a dark movie that uses poor choices and the consequences of those choices to show that those are things that you shouldn't do. And while it takes a long time for Charlie to finally do the right thing, every bad thing that he did catches up with him and he learns his lesson the hard way. He grows to care for the little girl so much that he regrets all the bad things he did that hurt her and then sacrifices his life to save her from death. In one of the final scenes Anne Marie is about to drown and the watch that is keeping Charlie alive is sinking in the water and if it stops Charlie will die. Instead of saving himself by saving his watch, he saves Anne Marie instead. I was able to pick up on most of this at a young age and it left a lasting positive effect on me. It's a beautiful dark film with a positive message about good choices versus bad choices. The bad choices have bad effects on the characters and those around them and the good choices, while difficult to make are rewarded with good. Charlie was told by the Whippet angel that once he stole the watch he could NEVER go back to heaven. He knew that when he chose Anne Marie instead of the watch but he finally did the right thing and the Whippet angel stops Charlie from going to Hell because he finally did the right thing. Beautiful ending and love survives indeed.