Parent reviews for Alvin and the Chipmunks

Alvin and the Chipmunks Poster Image

Objectifys women

Fun movie. But hated the way it objectifies women. Sends young people the wrong message of how women should be viewed in society. Examples are ladies in tight clothes/bikinis. Chipmunks say a lady is hot, she wants you.

Nudity

It has naked chipmunks in the movie don't watch with the family

Three young chipmunks with great singing voices become famous almost overnight. They are sick during a show and must lip-sing the lyrics.

Alvin!

This is no 12 times Oscar winner just some silly family fun. First live action Chipmunks movie in the Xmas spirit contains classic songs, slapstick, big consumerism and lot of out of context.

My little boy noticed there was sexism in it and there was

Unflattering, one-dimensional portrayal of females, rude language and behavior, suggestive clothing (on females of course, as always). If you're oblivious to the influence such stereotypes have on young developing minds then you might be OK with this movie or the cartoon, otherwise you might want to have a chat with them about the messages it contains before and after watching it. Then it could turn out to be a good conversation starter about gender stereotypes

Wow

This movie man, it was something else. I have never in my 200 years on this planet seen such an emotional movie. This movie made me laugh, cry and even get a little mad at Alvin when he caused trouble. But in the end it was so moving. If you want a movie with everything see this uplifting movie. I swear on my 200 years on this planet that you will cry of joyful music and happiness. I don’t even know how they got chipmunks to perform and act, but that should get them awards. Like how do you train chipmunks to be so talented. Anyways see this movie. I have 3000 copies at home and my house is filled with memorabilia of the first movie. The others were good but that’s for another review another time. Watch it.

Cute, funny creatures but random sexist stuff in there.

An otherwise funny and likeable story was let down by the sexist way that the female characters were portrayed. All the female roles in the movie were extremely minor so at first it wasn't noticeable. But this exclusion of women from any interesting character role and use of stereotyped female roles became more obvious as the movie progressed. All the females in the movie seem to be aged 20 and barely speak while wearing short skirts. Most are merely assistants to the male characters as either secretaries/aides, as back-up dancers and the girlfriend character is barely given any personality. Kids meanwhile are focussed on the chipmunks' clowning. One female character (a non-speaking character with sultry body-language) was described as a house-maid who gives "special massages". I am fine with some flirtation in a kids movie but it is not OK when all the female characters all fit into one very limiting stereotype.
thorough some children might find that some of the jokes are funny, some might find the chipmunk's voices to be very annoying and screechy and might freak out some toddlers or baby's, some might find good and entertaining.

Don’t stress!!

A lot of people said this was too sexy and too much violence but honestly come on. They are singing chipmunks! I have watched all the Alvin and the chipmunks movies with my children (12) (8) (5) and they love them! My oldest think they are so cute and funny. My middle loves them and gets popcorn every time we st down to watch one and my youngest adores them! She watches them everywhere. When we are at the mall and she’s bored we set her up with Alvin, when we are on a road trip same thing., even when she’s just at home eating she’ll ask for it. My whole point is there is no cussing no “sexy stuff” and Simon and Theodore are pretty good role models. Enjoy this movie!