All parent member reviews for Amazing Grace

Adult Written bysugarpuff March 22, 2011

Good family movie, great for discussion and explanation.

I don't know how accurate the details are, but the message is clear. Any person who is passionate about a cause that makes this world a better place, can make a difference. Wilberforce was a man of convictions. He did not wait until he was middle aged to engage the world. He was serving in government at age 21. Most of our 21 year olds are playing video games.

Adult Written bysashadew April 9, 2008

Loved it

It stirs your heart and makes you want to do something. It shows the world is not a bad place and everyone has a place and no one is unknown. Any chance you get, you should watch it. Good for the whole family and it shows of how everyone has a heart and everyone is loved by God and everyone is equal in sight.

Adult Written bySarah Grace August 17, 2010

Good for teenagers and adults

Very good movie. One of the only movies out there that makes my brain think :) The average teenager might find it boring, but when I first saw it I liked it a lot.

Adult Written bymtadros April 9, 2008

THANKED GOD

Amazing film i thank God for all the people who done it and GOD BLESS . it is a great filim to witness God's Amazing Love and Grace available to all.

Adult Written byGerard1 April 9, 2008

OK Alright

Not bad once was enough for me though. My Parent's grandfather and friends loved it though.

Adult Written byImagine Grace April 9, 2008

I cried

Shows what human being should be, respect all the lives. Great!

Adult Written byapavlic80 April 9, 2008

Adult Written byvwterry June 27, 2010

Scenes describing the horrors of slavery were too intense for me, much less for children. Definitely misrated--should have been PG-13. Only for mature middle schoolers and up.

Adult Written byhal & elaine April 9, 2008

Very Good Messages without Undue Violence

For the subject matter being covered this movie does an excellent job of letting people know what was really happening at the time without being unduly violent. The whipping of a horse is the only actual scene in which someone/thing is hurt. Instead, the empty interior of a slave ship is shown, compelling statistics are cited (400 of 600 slaves dieing on one voyage), and things like shackles and an owners brand brandished by a former slave are shown. For those that are very perceptive there is a letter being read at one point that includes a very brief narrative about a child being accidentally burned to death while the accompanying video shows a very fuzzy worker transposed by a flame. Our child is very sensitive but was not overly bothered by any of these scenes.

Very pretty but typical shots of 1800 England add to the educational benefit.

Our 12 year old was not at all bored and really enjoyed the film. Hyper, visually oriented, or much younger kids might be.

Adult Written bySunnyZim October 5, 2013

Inspirational

Brilliant and inspiring movie, one which I have watched many times. William Wilberforce is one of my heroes and this movie does a very good job of portraying this brave and amazing man.

Parent Written byElizabeth Darcy March 20, 2012

Uplifting, inspiring, an amazing movie

The cinematography is gorgeous, the acting is stellar, the story is inspiring and heart-rending at the same time. Amazing Grace IS truly amazing, and I would show it to all my kids were it not for the "scary" content. It's nothing much (two men beating a horse, some depictions of slavery, a hallucination), but a bit too intense for kids younger than 10 or 11. Younger kids won't be able to follow the highly political plot, but for tweens and teens who like period dramas this is a must-see. I found myself near tears at the courageous, self-sacrificial love of Wilberforce and his heroic appeal for the dignity of the human person.