Parent reviews for Babe: Pig in the City

Babe: Pig in the City Poster Image

Would have liked to have a warning...

I would have liked to have had a warning about the scantily clad women and men that appear in one of the first city scenes. I think barely there bikinis are completely inappropriate for children's movies. It normalizes women's bodies being used as entertainment. Who ever reviewed this movies obviously thinks side cleavage coming out of bikini tops is perfectly ok for kids because there was no sexy warning.

2 people found this helpful.

A step down

How 20 years flies by. And, this is a dark sequel. Great visual effects and editing. But as many mentioned there is some cruel scenes. Australia counts as the consumerism of course.

1 person found this helpful.

Extremely scary and will give younger children nightmares!

This movie is absolutely pure horrifying. First of all, you have a weird plot that doesn’t make sense. In one of the scenes you have a drowning dog, and to top it off, it will scare you for days and give younger kids nightmares. There is also one scene where two characters have two baby children that look really REALLY creepy. Weird movie, if you don’t want to be scared I would suggest you didn’t ever watch this. Extremely disappointing sequel to a loving family movie.

Wow. Surprisingly violent

Rated G? This surprised me. I'm not usually squeamish about movie content. But this one got to me. It was far from the light hearted original. The movie overall is quite dark, with several uneasy scenes throughout, but one scene had me on the brink of shutting it off. Luckily the kiddo wandered off from disinterest and wasn't around to see it. For full disclosure: a dog nearly (quite graphically) drowns being teathered by his back leg, submerged head first in a canal. Thrashing, suffocating, jerking. Yes, it was a prop dog, but this a kids family movie. Did they really have to show 45-60 seconds of his struggle for breath? Wow... It made me sqeamish. Darkness exisits. I don't want to hide her away from the world, but scenes like this could have be avoided, written differently, or even shorter. You've been warned.

Disappointed

This film is kinda dumb compared to the original Babe! I think they should've had them attend the state fair.

Yet another disappointing sequel

Why is it that when there's a great movie (like Babe), many a time you see a sequel that's disappointing? This is just like Cars 2, it's too scary. I don't remember seeing it as a kid, and I'm glad I didn't. I agree with the parents at this site. This movie cannot be compared to the excellent original. It's dark, depressing, scary, sad, and not the funny, feel-good heartwarming classic the original was. How ANYONE (let alone Roger Ebert) could say this is BETTER than the first, I will never know. Yes, it did have a few nice messages and all, but the violence overshadows this movie. There's more bad than good here. Also, for drugs, they forgot the drug check scene in the main review here (Mrs. Hoggest is strip searched for drugs by drug inspectors, which could also make it count as sexy stuff). So yeah, pass on this if you want more of the same greatness like in the original. 3.5/10

Inappropriate movie!

It was sad and dark, not a very fun movie to watch. Also, it had a very inappropriate scene with girls dressed in bikini's/lingerie. Totally did not expect that to be in this type of a movie, I have no idea why they had that in there. Not recommended for families at all.

Stick to the original...

The 1st babe was adorable and sweet and had a positive message. This one is scary, sad, full of animal abuse (dogs on the brink of drowning,etc) and negative tones. Not a good movie for anyone no matter the age! If your kids want to watch babe, stick with the original.

1 person found this helpful.

Disappointing, nothing like the original

Weird movie, very inappropriate for young children. Very dark, not the happy go lucky animal movie you're probably expecting.

Common Sense Media Let me down on this one

Babe and Babe Pig in the City just hit Netflix so my family had a babe weekend watching the movies back to back. We almost did not watch babe ping in the city based on the CSM reviews but gosh they are way off. Addressing the most common concerns: Drug search scene: Goes totally over the kids heads, not an issue, they just say step over here. Bikinis So breifly on screen I would have missed it if the CSM reviews had not alerted me to the scantily clad woman. Given Mrs Hoggert was heading down "toward the beach" the attire was appropriate and I did not find it offensive at all. For those downrating the movie based on this what do you do at the beach? Cover your kids eyes the entire time? Drowning dog. One reviewer here stopped watching at the drowning dog scene. Too bad it's one of the better scenes in the movie given Babe proves he is the bigger pig and rescues the drowning dog that moments before was trying to catch him. Scary dog chase scene: Yeah it was a bit intense but it's more like tom and jerry intense because babe is always keeping ahead of the dogs. It's longer but no more intense than the dogs/wolves attacking the sheep in the first movie. The CSM review states that this is "scarier and more suspenseful than Babe, the very light-hearted original." That CSM reviewer needs to re-watch the original. First there is no death in this movie, there are multiple deaths in the original (sheep and duck), there is no blood in this movie, there is a bloody death in the original and blood all over babe's snout. The entire first half of the first movie death is hanging over Babe's head as he's the prime candidate for christmas dinner. There are no guns in this movie while babe is nearly killed by a gun in the first movie. (and seriously what farmer kills a pig with a gun?). While the first movie was brighter it's no less scary than this movie. Misleading reviews aside how did my family like the movie? They all loved it including this old dad. My 2 year olds were laughing at the animal antics and the entire family (including myself) "laughed out loud" at the finale. While the first movie was great this one is great too. It has a lot more depth, yes the city is darker but it's all redeemed by a great finale and a wonderful conclusion.