Parent and Kid Reviews on

Balto Poster Image
Our Review

Based on 11 parent reviews

Sort by:

Balto is and will always be one of my favorite childhood movies besides the land before time and all dogs go to heaven

Balto is a wonderful film that is a must for kids and families alike I personally own at least 3 different formats of the franchise and two soundtracks not to mention books plushies etc. I don’t understand how people can accuse this film of having to much sex in it it clearly does not people seem to forget that balto was made by amblin the same people responsible for making films such as the land before time and an American tale if this film truly had that much sexual content in it your local libraries wouldn’t have this film in the children’s section they would have this movie in the adult section and since balto isnt in the adults section then it must be in the kids section right ? If course I am balto was made with kids in mind they would never put anything into a child’s movie with the intention on being action packed and somewhat accurate children back then craved adventure in films back then it always kept them entertained and never wanting to leave ( believe me I was one I know what I am talking about I was raised in the 90s and born in 1986 balto isn’t as bad as everyone says it is there’s certainly a lot worse out there today like family guy and American dad and not to mention Rick and Morty those shows are so disgusting offensive and crude they take everything wrong with the world today and then it into a dirty shame filled joke balto has none of those things so parents shouldn’t worry about their kids watching balto because let’s be reasonable here balto isn’t going to teach your kids how to give the neighbors dog a blowjob that kind of content exists on shows like family guy future Rama American dad Rick and Morty and so forth. I’m finicky when it comes to choosing movies to add to my collection I won’t bring anything into my house that encourages that kind of behavior likewise I rented balto from blockbuster video before buying it beforehand back in the 90s and found that there was nothing inappropriate throughout the film whatsoever

Like ice in the sunshine - Beagle music ltd

Overlooked in the very long row of 1990's family animal movies. Little in runtime and big on action and some romance too.

Good message, interesting story

We were all engaged watching this movie about a half wolf, half dog save a town by running through a snowstorm to get vaccines. There were intense moments, but they were brief. No gross humor. Good messages. Good voices (Kevin Bacon, Bridget Fonda, Bob Hoskins, etc).

Great family adventure

This is a great movie about helping others and courage. Yet, it can get really scary with dogs figting and coffins that are kid sized. Be sure your kids are ready for the intenses scenes first.

1 person found this helpful.

Great movie with non stop peril but still kid friendly

The real Balto wasn't part wolf...

I loved this movie as a child and it's hero was a wolf-dog hybrid facing canine racism and saving the day. I learned to have respect for minority groups except I now feel lied to as an adult after learning that Balto was a pure bred husky and NOT a wolf mix like the movie teaches. I knew that parts were going to be fictionalized since dogs don't talk or have geese as surrogate parents but the fact that the real Balto was just a normal pure breed and not a wolf hybrid makes the story less powerful and also makes me feel like I was emotionally manipulated to sympathize with minorities by a bold face lie. Don't get me wrong as it's still a good movie but the lessons I originally took away from the anti racism message that is deeply ingrained in it's "based on a true story" plot and the real Balto wasn't even a simple mix breed. Also sends the wrong messages about wolf hybrids and animal safety since Balto is falsely shown to be a dangerous mix with a sweet personality but he was NEVER a wolf mix. And yes I was expecting it to deviate from the truth for the sake of animation but the fact that he wasn't the type of animal the movie makers scripted him to be. It would be like instead of Disney staying somewhat accurate by keeping Pocahontas a Native American, that they decided to turn her blue and make her an alien life form and teaching it as historical fact. Or instead of Mulan being Chinese they decided to make her Egyptian or some other inaccurate race. It's a good movie with a powerful message that relies heavy on the canine race card that never existed. I still like the movie but I feel like there's a line between having inaccuracies because of censorship for the young audience and straight up lying about what the hero was to make a platform for an anti racism message that is simply NOT true. The real Balto never had to go through the stigma of being part wolf or being an unlikely hero because of his heritage because he was a pure bred Husky. So conflicted with this one and so saddened by the manipulation of the falsified unlikely hero trope. It loses it's "true story" inspiration message and simply becomes a movie that is nothing more than a preachy lie.

Disappointed

The real story of Balto is very interesting and would make a good movie. I don't know why they told this story instead. My daughter liked it and it was fun, but they didn't pay any attention to the facts. Yes, it was about a long sled adventure to get medication for people suffering with diphtheria, but the similarities end there.

rebekahs review

i love it so

It's a feel good movie in the end. I got it based on the write-up here that did not mention how much tension there is. There are some scary parts (for even my sensitive 6 year old boy)...some frightening scenes with a mean bully antagonist dog (Steele), a very scary grizzly bear encounter and the general sad and suspenseful theme that the children are about to die if the dogs don't bring back the needed anti-toxin. It was a happy, feel good ending and a sweet story - obviously embellished from reality to make it into an exciting kid movie...but could spark an interest in learning more about the real Balto and the Iditarod. I felt that there was a fair amount of focus on romance and the girl dogs trying to win Steele's attention and Steele and Balto kind of vying for another dog's love...but it wasn't a huge deal. Only mildly stereotypical at times. I just don't see the need for it personally. My 3 year old who is sensitive and hasn't seen many movies loved it in the end and just covered her eyes a few times so I think it's fine for 3 and up but probably best for 4 or 5 and up if your kids are really sensitive to scary stuff.