Parent and Kid Reviews on

Our Review

Based on 29 kid reviews

Sort by:

my thoughts...

A brave dog saves kids in a fun but tense fact-based film.

1 person found this helpful.

Best movie I've ever seen! But a lot of romance and little historical facts.

I still love this movie. It's been my favorite for such a long time! There is a few violent scenes, but nothing too scary. The only frightening part was when the woodsmith is making coffins, for children. I must admit there's quite a bit of sexual content for a kids movie. The movie is based around the romance between Balto and Jenna. One scenes shows a small dog flirting with Steele, only to be stepped over and run into his genitals(not shown), and one scene where Steele talks about sharing a sausage with Jenna, saying "And when we get to the middle... You tell me." Besides that nothing too bad kids can't handle. What I found disappointing was the fact that the movie barely revolved around the History. Balto's not part wolf, and doesn't have friend polar bears and a goose, but what do you expect? It's a kids movie. Plus I think Boris (the goose) and Muk and Luk(polarbears) really make the film funny. I still laugh watching it. Balto is a good rolemodel and the message is of friendship, and perseverance even when it gets tough. Overall this film is a must-see for the entire family. Take my word for it. I'm fifteen and still adore it! (Oh and by the way, kind of a spoiler, no one does, unlike many other movies. So enjoyable!)

1 person found this helpful.

Striking tale of perseverance based on history.

This was my favorite movie when I was little, and it still is. Sure, the story isn't exactly the same as the real story, but the animators were aiming it at a kid audience, not an adult audience. Overall, a good movie. I recommend this on a family movie night.

Not a review

Had to say this someone litrally said nudity in a dog movie. THERE DOGS! they dont were clothes

This will not be completely on the movie: heads up!

The movie was really nice, and Balto's character was very likeable. No more violence than the average 8 year-old can handle. (To be on the super-safe side, if you would let your kid see a PG movie rated for "Mild action and peril", Balto will be fine.) Okay, now to clear up the facts: Balto was a husky, not a wolf/husky hybrid. The dogs STARTED in Anchorage, not Nome. And also, there were relays of dog teams, each taking a bit of the way. (I think there were around 30 teams, but I'm not sure.) Togo (who almost no one knows about) traveled the greatest distance, and Balto only did the last 25 miles (or something like that), therefore making him the lead dog that actually came to Nome. Togo's musher (who either knew or owned Balto, too) said that Togo was the real hero, and it made him upset to see Balto taking all the glory. Balto was a normal dog. He did not live on the outside of town. He did not live on an abandoned ship. He was not raised by a goose. And he was not friends with a goose and two polar bears! Watch the movie, it's really fun, but if you see anything about "based on a true story", disregard it. If they wanted to tell the true story, they could have. But they didn't. Look up 'the story behind the Iditarod', and then you'll see how much of this entertainment film is real, and how much is fake.

Fine dog movie has its violence.

Wonderful Movie

Still watch it to this day

Amazing

I've loved this movie since I was about 5 years old, and I still love it! The animation is beautiful, and helps to draw the viewers into the story. The characters are nicely fleshed out and have distinct personalities, even bit-part characters like the sled team. There are some intense scenes, like when Balto is attacked by a bear and seems to be in mortal danger, or when the sled team is in peril of falling over a cliff. There is also emotional intensity as the children of the village are shown getting sicker and sicker as they await the arrival of the antitoxin. I think kids 7 and up will be fine. It's just enough intensity to keep you on the edge of your seat! Plus the ending is just so heart-warming and feel-good, I can't help but smile every time. It also has great messages about accepting others who are different, kindness, determination, self-sacrifice and teamwork, as well as some great role models (namely Balto, but Jenna is also a good example of loyalty, humility and kindness)