All parent member reviews for Billy Elliot

Parent of a 6 and 9 year old Written byToronto Mom March 25, 2010

Inspiring & Loving Message

Saw this when it first came out and loved it. We just watched the PG-13 version with our kids and the whole family was really touched by it. It's an empowering and loving story for children. My kids couldn't stop dancing afterwards. I don't see why this movie receives such a strict rating unless the rating is to discourage kids from being exposed to an LGBT-positive message. There is cussing but American children won't understand the UK swear words anyway. The sexual talk and violence are minimal, especially in comparison to other PG and even some G movies.

Educator Written bymath professor June 18, 2011

A must see for adults - children will benefit from the movie and discussions afterwards.

For children, I believe the importance of the grand message outweighs the detractors of adult language. Children can not be completely shielded from foul language, and the colorful terms used in this movie can be made an item for discussion. This is a powerful and uplifting work of art, and can have a positive effect on adults and children. Just be prepared for a few discussions before and afterwards - that in itself makes the experience more fruitful.

Adult Written byCalimom October 18, 2009

The musical from this movie has hit Broadway now with rave reviews. My kids wanted to see it very much, so I screened this movie to see if it's appropriate material. What a fabulous story! There are so many good messages - about believing in yourself, being willing to take risks, being willing to try things that you're not good at. Even the hard-nosed father is willing to ultimately shed his convictions in order to help his son achieve his dreams. There is also a subplot of accepting a friend who has a very different lifestyle than your own.

You must watch this with your kids, and be ready to explain labor unions, scabs, and strikes. You will need to discuss homophobia, especially the stereotypes surrounding it (i.e. in the movie the adult males all believe male ballet dancers are gay). You will also need to weigh in on your family's choice of language vs. the family in the movie. Lots of foul language in this film.

My son is a dancer, and also discovered his love of ballet very young. The movie is remarkably true in its depiction of a kid who just has to jump and move, and who tries to pick out melodies at the piano. My son was exactly like this. The screenplay must be based on some firsthand knowledge.

Lucky is the person who discovers what he loves at a young age, and is willing to persevere and pursue it. Even luckier if he gets extraordinary opportunities like Billy does. Very inspiring story.

Note: you really must use the subtitles option with this one to understand the thick accents.

Parent of a 10 year old Written byking hulk January 25, 2010

i loved it i am not a big dancer kinda guy but after you see this awesome film it will change your mind for ever!~!!!!!!!

Adult Written bys s April 17, 2011

fine for kids 10 or 11 and up if you warn them there's swearing, and if you talk with them about the issues as they come up

Parent of a 9 and 10 year old Written byqtnn December 1, 2010

Great for conversations with precocious tweens & older

The kids usually like (but don't love) our choices for Family Movie Night, e.g. Food Inc. They LOVED Billy Elliot, are trying to convince their friends to watch it so they have someone their age to discuss it with. It's the rare coming-of-age story that doesn't focus on sex. Though it's a concern of those around him, Billy himself is focused on following his dreams. The beauty of the movie is its balancing act - exploring dark subjects from the perspective of a kid, alternating gritty realities with Billy's hearty dancing, all without spoofing the characters. Even my daughter commented on how even side characters had "something to care about." LOTS of foul language but not done in a way that kids would emulate. Several mentions of sex but the Irish accents are so strong that my kids mostly missed them. They thought "fanny" was "bunny." Do turn off closed captioning when Billy goes to the little girl's bedroom. Do watch this one with the kids... treasure trove of stuff they will need and may WANT to discuss with you.

Adult Written byAoibhinn January 5, 2011

But what do you mean about the cursing? Kids swear all the time in real life so what's wrong with seeing it in a film, it's not as if they haven't heard it before! Unless things are very different in America, I've never been there...seems unlikely though. Anyway Billy Elliot is absolutely brilliant, I would advise everyone to watch it even if you hate ballet! There's something in it for everyone

Adult Written byMom_and_Son February 10, 2009

"I cried, laughed, and was DEEPLY INSPIRED by this film!"

This movie is set in England in the mid 80's. It is an inspring movie about a boy that is willing to do whatever it takes to follow his dream. Nothing a teenager hasn't seen. BEWARE OF THE F-BOMBS. Brief oblique references to sex, drag queen. It is a must see for 13 and up. 10-12: iffy and 9 under: OFF LIMITS

Parent Written byWriter Mom February 5, 2012

Too intense and rough for younger kids

My husband and I just previewed this movie to see if we could let our 8-year-old son, who dances, see it. Having watched it ourselves, we would not be comfortable with that. There is a lot of crude and profane language in this film. Some is British, some you'd recognize. There's a conversation between two kids in which one mentions that her parents sleep separately "so they don't have sex," and mentions that the father had an affair. There is a minor character who is homosexual. I think that's fine for older kids and might go right over the heads of grade-schoolers. For some families, it could present a good opportunity to discuss human sexuality. But there is a lot of other ugliness in this film, including the father punching Billy's older brother, which I found disturbing. In the end, all is well as the father ends up supporting Billy's love of dance, but I'd hold this for pre-teens or teens, or expect a lot of questions from your younger child.

Parent of a 14 year old Written bymaja February 27, 2014