All parent member reviews for Brave

Parent Written byteeks125 June 22, 2012

HUGE disappointment, and not what it seems :(

Sooo disappointed! If you have seen the previews, then you have essentially seen the first 15 minutes or so of the movie (which I thought looked really cute)... after that it takes a weird twist and the rest of the movie is about witches, spirits, evil bears, etc. My daughter and her 8 year old friends had their eyes covered for a good portion of the movie and ended up sitting on laps because they were too scared. If we weren't there with friends, we would have walked out. Any message about mother-daughter bonding is superficial at best, and almost completely lost in all of the dark, scary parts. On top of that, the character development was poor (and largely non-existent for anyone but the main character), and the storyline was choppy. There were also quite a few naked hineys in the movie, which might bother some parents. We were so excited about this movie that we went to the midnight showing, but we felt like it was not at all what it seemed. We went with a couple other families and they all felt the same, so I don't think it was just us. Even my daughter said she would not want to watch it again (she said she would rather watch Tangled). Some people might rate it as "OK," but I would be surprised to see anyone rate this as a great movie. Personally, I wish I would have just stayed home and gotten a couple more hours of sleep!

Parent Written bymonroemomma June 22, 2012

Brave is Definitely PG!!

My 5 & 7 YO daughters hated our trip to the cinema today! They told me they'd have 'nightmares for seven weeks!' over this movie. Why, oh why do studios market PG movies to little children?! My kids spent more time with their faces buried under the crooks of my arms than they did looking at the screen. I spent more time assuring them that the king wouldn't accidentally kill his wife--the mother of the heroine--before the end of the movie. "I PROMISE, it *will* have a happy ending!" x12.

It's a pretty movie. The storyline for "How To Train Your Dragon" was way better.

I'm disappointed because Pixar (et al) had a flame-haired opportunity to shine, to really develop that non-traditional heroine character. They did not do that, but they still turned in a decent bit of entertainment.

Parent Written bydgjazz June 23, 2012

Disney Has Lost Their Mind

Disney has lost their mind. This movie should be PG13, although I do think it's ok for a 9 or 10 year old. But if you are expecting your normal Pixar Disney film, you aren't going to get it here. Why Disney would want to make a violent film that scares children, I have no idea. I expect more from them than cheap scare tactics for shock value. Usually when Disney has violence in their movies, there is humor to break it up. (For example the old man in Up fighting with his walker). Brave has none of that. We've gotten to the point that animation is so real looking that when a bear gets shot up with 20 arrows, you might as well see a real bear getting shot up with 20 arrows. I would put the violence level at the Spiderman movies or Pirates of the Caribbean. The difference is bears are real and kids know that superheroes and pirates aren't. Have fun taking your little one on a nature hike in a National Park after watching this movie. I just wish I would have walked out when I first felt uncomfortable, but I kept trusting Disney that it was only one scene. The fault is my own. If a movie isn't G, you really need to read about it first. Even if it has the Disney and Pixar name. They have no right marketing a movie like this on Disney Junior when it's clearly geared to a 10 year old. Up until now, PG Disney movies like Up, The Incredibles, and Bolt haven't tried to scare children, so I didn't think I had any reason to worry about the PG rating. Boy was I wrong.

Parent Written byluciwhitcar June 22, 2012

"Brave" requires bravery to watch with younger children...

We saw "Brave" this morning on it's release day. The title is appropriate: your children need to be brave to see this film. It was extremely intense at moments, both of my children cried - one wanted to leave during the most intense part. It is overall a good movie and as with all Disney films - ends on a happy note. I enjoyed it even though I found it quite scary at times. We all cried at the end and not just because it was touching - it was quite sad before the final "bow" was put on the story.
I included the "sex" portion of the review due to the many close ups of the ample bosom house maid that was featured more times than seemed appropriate.
I've accepted that all Disney movies have the "bad guy" or "scary" part - this one just caught me off guard a bit by the intensity. It was good - my younger child bounced back quickly after it was over & said she liked it...my older child will most likely be up tonight with bad dreams.

Parent Written byJewelyogirose June 22, 2012

Too scary for young children!!!

WARNING!!! This movie has some VERY scary scenes. I have taken my kids to the movies since they were 2-3 years old and they are 5 and 7 now. I have NEVER had to leave a movie and they begged me to leave in the middle of it. They were terrified. Very disappointed by Disney with the scary content and unnessisary violence in this movie.

Parent Written byMomof3inVa June 22, 2012

GREAT movie for (mature) 5 & up!!!

This was definitely one of the best Disney Pixar films we've ever seen. The animation was STUNNING, the story was action-packed & funny, and Merida, the star of the show, is by far Disney's most inspiring, real-girl princess yet. My boys are 12 & 9 and my daughter is 5 (almost 6,) and all 3 kids LOVED it. My daughter said "it was kind of scary in some parts, but not too scary." On that note, if you have a child younger than 5 (or a very sensitive 5,) think twice before taking him/her to see this movie, because the vicious bear scenes might be too scary. I'd say the bear scenes were the only reason this is rated PG instead of G (well, maybe the brief glimpse of the Scotsmen's bare bottoms had something to do with it, too,) but I'm VERY selective about what I let my children watch, & I'd have no problem letting them see this one again. Yes, there were lots of weapons used throughout the movie (it's set in Medieval Scotland,) but no overt violence...no blood or gore. I, personally, loved this movie. I love almost all Disney Pixar movies, but this one was especially entertaining. Unlike the reviewer above, I found the portrayal of the mother-daughter relationship to be realistic and, at the end, touching and inspirational. Spend the extra $ for the 3D version at the theater...you won't regret it.

Parent of a 6 and 8 year old Written bySraesc June 22, 2012

Too scary

We were so excited to see Brave today -- I had heard so much about the positive messages and strong female lead. Well, we were very disappointed. The movie was very intense and dark -- I am really surprised that commonsense.org rated it ON for ages 6 and up. I took my 8 year old and 6 year old, and both kids were terrified. They both sat on my lap for most of the movie, and my 6 year old cried several times and wanted to leave. I probably should have just left, but I did want them to know that everything turned out ok in the end (plus we spent a small fortune to see the evening showing in 3D). It wasn't just us, either -- we went with a group of friends, and many of the kids were crying and/or sitting on moms' laps throughout the movie. Overall, I didn't even think the message was that great, and the storyline was not very interesting at all. I'm glad that Disney tried to make a strong female lead for their newest Pixar film, but Brave fell short, in my opinion.

Parent of a 2 and 9 year old Written bySteffauri516 June 22, 2012

Breathtaking film, great for all ages!

I've been eagerly waiting for the release of Brave for over a year now, and it was well worth it. Tonight was the midnight premiere and I went with a group of friends (will take the kids during a daytime showing for sure!) Needless to say, we were all in awe at another marriage of Disney/Pixar magic.
The story takes place in 10th century Scotland and centres around the life of 16 year old Princess Merida and her family. There is a heavy emphasis on mother-daughter bonding, and how difficult and tedious it can be when the two don't think alike. Her mother Elinor is a typical elegant, strictly trained and proper queen, while Merida is a raucous tomboy with a thirst for adventure and honing her already amazing archery skills. Merida seeks the help of an old witch to change her mother's personality in hopes of avoiding an arranged marriage which her mother is extremely adamant on making her go through, but gets far more (and far worse) than she bargained for. *No spoilers ;) *
Brave is a visually stunning film with a rich, endearing, and gripping story that does have some considerably dark undertones. Despite the fact that Merida (a princess) is the main character, this is a far cry from the traditional cutesy Disney princess films; Merida is fiercely independent and asserts herself when faced with an arranged marriage (and even ends up without a love interest in the end) and doesn't let her status and expectations hold her back. There is no graphic violence, while there are scenes of two bears fighting. Since these are viking-like warriors (the men) there are a lot of swords, arrows, axes and maces shown and used, but there is no blood or visual injury being caused to other characters, other than a small scratch Merida gets on her arm while getting in the way of her father's sword and the bear.
As for "sexy stuff" this is a Disney/Pixar movie, so obviously, no, there is no sex, but there is some minor nudity (for comic relief purposes) Pixar stayed true to old world clothing; the men are naked beneath their kilts. There is a scene where Lord Dingwall's son wins Merida's hand in marriage, and he "moons" the other Lords to rub it in their faces. There is another scene where the men get trapped on the roof of the castle and have to link their kilts together to make a rope for escape; as they're walking away you see a few shots of their rear ends--same in a scene with Merida's younger brothers at the end of the movie. Lastly, there are a few between Fergus and Elinor. They're a happily married couple, in the beginning, Fergus gives Elinor a little smack on the rear, and at the end, she is naked beneath a tapestry (nothing below her neck and shoulders is visible). So nothing that problematic, still very comical and kid-friendly.
In the end, the movie has some great lessons and role models kids can learn from, and speaking as an adult who just saw the movie, I can completely say that it is enjoyable for all ages. Highly recommended, wonderful movie! On for ages 5 and up.

Parent Written bysuemical June 22, 2012

Great message - but scary for little ones

As an adult and parent, I thoroughly enjoyed the excitement and strong spirit of young Merida. I thought it would be a bit pedestrian, judging from the trailers, so I was not prepared for the some of the scenes we watched with 5 young children (age 4-9). The creepy witch in the forest, and very violent bear scenes were upsetting - for some the children - and we covered their eyes. Not crying, 'I want to leave the theater' kind of scary, but I worried about nightmares or lingering fears about losing a parent.
It never occurred to me that I would have to be wary - the trailers were tame, it was an animated rated G (I thought) film, and I don't associate Pixar with scary films. I wish there was a more noticeable warning for parents, so I would plan it differently (ie, not take the littlest ones, warn the ones I think could be frightened, or schedule some fun lighthearted activity immediately after).
Having said all that, I still think it is a great film with a superb message for both girl-princess-wanna-be's and boys comfortable with strong female role models. The first half was hysterically funny (every parent can relate to chasing wild-eyed mischievous boys), and the message was strong and positive. I enjoyed it thoroughly but would not recommend it for children under 8....since I watched the end with 3 youngsters on my lap.

Parent of a 7 and 14 year old Written bySafeAsMilk June 22, 2012

Very Good Movie

Very, very good - could have been a little less scary and had a little more detail about Scotland and its history and why there are no bears there anymore. Too scary for 6-year olds.

Educator Written byKendra0202 June 23, 2012

We blew it this time; not for 6-year-olds

I thought I'd done my homework; we watched every minute of every trailer on YouTube. Read the CSM review, which usually works for us. We knew it was PG, but so were Mirror, Mirror, Tangled, and the Lorax, all recent and all perfectly fine for our 6-year-old. She was sobbing in Brave, though; I ended up with her out in the lobby while the others watched. What I wish I'd known was that the 'scary scenes with the bear' wouldn't quit; there were two bears -- at one point the things fight each other, and a bear fight is hard to watch -- and they kept coming and coming throughout the movie. One is Merida's spell-bound mother, and the bit with her unsuspecting father hunting her doesn't take place offstage, as I'd expected. Instead he, with his hunting dogs and a heavily armed hunting party, chase her through the forest, tie her up by the neck, and are moving in when Merida crosses swords with her dad to stop him from killing her mother/bear. (Lots of complex messages available in THAT narrative.) All in Pixar's hyperrealistic animation, which is amazing, if you're old enough to be able to trust that things will ultimately turn out all right. Which is not age 6. I can't risk repeating today's mistake so I think we will stick to G for a while, or at least wait a few weeks so more reviews and word-of-mouth are out there so I don't have to trust advanced marketing. You disappointed this time, CSM.

Parent Written byAchilles-Effect June 23, 2012

Way too scary for 6-year-olds

I have to disagree strongly that this film is "on" for 6-year-olds. There are positive aspects of the film for sure, and Merida is an excellent role model--intelligent, articulate, independent, and courageous. But there are several very frightening sequences that I think would be too intense for young viewers. Large bears fighting violently with each other in a dark setting--very scary. I am so glad I saw the movie before taking my almost 6-year-old. This film would have given him nightmares. Even some older kids might be bothered by the fighting scenes. Not fun to see the heroine tossed aside by a bear and, eventually, her own father as he tries to kill the beast.

Beyond the violence and scary scenes, the theme of fate and destiny would probably be over the heads of most young kids. The movie's humourous scenes (puerile as they are) are far too few to sustain a young child's interest. Parents might also want to know that there is a sight gag using a woman's large bosom--it becomes a hiding place for a key that is eventually retrieved by one of Merida's brothers, although the actual diving into her dress is not shown on screen. And men are portrayed pretty much as buffoons, especially in contrast to the very intelligent females. Merida's father has his moments--especially when he gives her her first bow & arrow and defends her right to learn how to fight--but even he gets into the brawling with the other men and turns violent when he seeks vengeance against a bear. As I mentioned above, he even throws Merida away when she tries to stop him from killing a bear (her mother transformed after a witch's spell.) One positive from the males--Merida's suitors agree with her that they should be able to choose their own spouse instead of being forced into an arranged marriage. Other than that, precious little in the way of good male role models.

Parent Written byPixarBlewIt June 23, 2012

Too Many Intense and Dark Images

My wife and I took our nine year old son and four year old daughter to opening day for Pixar's BRAVE and what a huge dissappointment.

The amount of dark, scary and intense images in BRAVE rivals most PG-13 action adventure films. If it wasn't for the amount of money we dropped between tickets and concessions, we would have walked out. This is not a KIDS movie for anyone under 10 years of age. Do not take them to the theater to see it. We did not see it in 3D or in IMAX either.

We love all of the Pixar films and shorts with their original story lines and breaktaking graphics. We have nearly all of them on DVD to watch over and over again. But with BRAVE, Pixar finally tarnished their impectable track record. With their other films, there are intense and scary "moments" but they use to do a great job by keeping them brief and often times implied where a younger person may not understand what just happened. But all of the scenes in BRAVE with the bears are way too long, way too intense for children. It seems other reviewers are glossing over this and focusing on the strong moral messages of the film, the family bonds and the connection between a daughter and her parents but it is all lost due to the overwhleming intensity of the scary scenes. Even when there are light hearted moments to "relax" the viewer, it is too late since the previous scene was so intense, the children have not recovered from the scary images they saw in the previous scene. Again, Pixar use to balance this so well but really missed it for BRAVE and ruined what could have been a good family tale.

My other observations in the theater include grandmothers, mothers having to cradle their own children throughout the movie and lots of questions from children throughout the film and upon walking out. I saw the Avengers earlier this year and other than when the Hulk is chasing down Scarlett Johansen's character, I feel the Avengers had fewer dark and scary images than BRAVE did.

I am extremly dissappointed with Pixar and the decisions they made with BRAVE. Their reputation is forever damaged for me and it is very unlikely that my family will support future Pixar projects, including FINDING NEMO in 3D or MONSTERS UNIVERSITY.

Parent Written byhanlolj June 23, 2012

Great movie - not for younger children

This movie was much better than I thought it would be. I will say that I would not bring anyone younger than 7. I had two girls with me, age 7 and 8. Both girls had tears - one looked shocked and the other was biting her nails. This movie has an intense storyline that would connect with girls this age - just know that it is emotionally intense (re: mother-daughter relationship) and the movie has violent scenes with loud noise. So glad to have seen it - the girls loved it - get a sitter for the younger children. It wasn't just my kids - there were girls age 10 outside the theater who looked like had been crying.

Parent Written byMom2youngkids June 23, 2012

Not for kids...message of movie got lost

I was looking forward to this movie for my daughter who is 6. It was a great concept to have a strong female character in a Disney princess movie. However, Disney failed because the idea of being brave and strong was overshadowed by the intensely scary series of events.

I also felt bad at th poor humor used on the queen as she became a clumsy bear who couldn't hunt for herself, and also lost her dignity and all her grace as we watch her cower over eating fish. I felt that the writers spared no compassion for this character portrayal.

Also, the movie had very little good humor for children, and did not provide enough laughs for the amount of intensity and scariness that we got. This movie does not live up to others such as Toy Story, Walle, or Nemo.

Parent Written bychristiac June 23, 2012

A must see!

I took both of my daughters, ages 6 and 8 to see this movie and they both loved it! The scene with the "scary bear" was a little scary, but nothing to be too concerned about.

Parent Written byCynNia June 22, 2012

Family Values

The movie was "cool" according to my 9-year-old daughter. There were a few scenes with bare-bottoms (there is a reason for it) and for adults, the interaction between the queen & king will be understandable. Overall, the movie and familial message was great as well as the message for kids to think for themselves. Follow the rules, but you can still be yourself.

Parent Written byHeather S. June 22, 2012

skip this one

I found this movie to be boring, overly violent and to negatively portray the mother-daughter relationship, at least for young girls. Perhaps older girls (over 8) will get it, but to my daughters (4) it was scary and the girl was disrespectful and mean to her mother. I did not think this was a positive movie for young children at all and would totally not recommend it. It is not your typical princess movie, and, thus, not surprisingly, it does not appeal to the audience that enjoys your typical princess movies (young girls). I found the violence, action and low brow humor to be aimed more at 10 year old boys than 4 year old girls.

Parent Written byTeacherbsf June 23, 2012

A little scary.

My kids were scared:(

Parent Written bytravelnurse74 June 23, 2012

Spectacular movie but not for young ones AT ALL - great tween/teen and mom movie!!

First off this movie is fantastic, breathtaking and does not have one boring moment. It is emotional, hysterical, and fulfilling and has wonderful values and lessons for parents and kids. But please, this movie is a true PG and should not be geared to young ones. I believe most of the message will go above most kids under 10 years old. I think ALL kids ages 7 and under will be petrified because it is a super scary. Lots of bear scenes, fights, moments where the parent looks to turn on the kids, and long moments of suspense and jump out of your seat moments. Even my 11 year old was on the edge of her seat. A little boy cried out on the other side of the theater "Is it over yet?" and many crying little ones and a few families leaving. Please realize it is PG and don't take your younger ones just because it is Disney. There is no language and I didn't find the old maid's cleavage anything to worry about, it was amusing. The bare butts were something a little surprising but it was light hearted and funny. The movie isn't violent as much as it scary and intense and dark. Please go see if before going with kids under age 9. It is a great movie though. I highly recommend it, especially for moms and tweens/teens. Great bonding!!