All member reviews for Brave

Mother-daughter princess tale has some very scary scenes.

Adult Written bysusanphd June 24, 2012

Terrifying for young children

My son, who is 5, was terrified during this film. Not when the mom turns into a bear- but there is another much scarier bear that appears several times. My son was so scared he started screaming and crying (something he does not typically do!) and we had to take him out. Turns out there were quite a few children who also left because they were scared. My 8 year old daughter was also quite scared, but able to sit through those sequences. She described it as a "kids horror movie". The movie itself is enjoyable, but the message seems to be more appropriate for young teens and their moms.

Parent Written bynburke June 24, 2012

See if your kids don't mind violence and nudity.

I was STUNNED that there was nudity in this! Grown men walking away, bare bottomed! Not something I was prepared to discuss with my five year old! Also, it was VERY scary when the bears fight at the end! My 5 and 7-year olds were really scared and wanted to leave! Cute story, but all the conflict and fighting was not necessary to convey the story. And the naked men were WAY out of line for a kids movie.

Teen, 15 years old Written byJo86 July 2, 2013

A good movie with a strong and positive message.

Produced by Pixar and released by Walt Disney Pictures, Brave is a story about a mother-daughter relationship. I have to admit that when we watched it in the cinema, it was a little scary and there were some violence and some inappropriate content for young children (therefore I think it is suitable for children ages at least 8 & above), but other than that, it is a good movie with a strong and positive moral.

Parent of a 8 and 8 year old Written byMajabibi September 2, 2012

Should be PG, very dissapointed, wish my kids hadn't seen it!!!

I was completely dissapointed by this movie. The "good message" is not worth all the violence, scary scenes and witchery shown here. I wish I had not taken my kids to see this. I can't beleive I was watching a princess movie where the princess lies to the mother, making her think she has baked her a cake, which in fact will almost poison her and activate a spell made by a horrible ugly witch!!!! This is just amazing.... I left the theater with great sadness....

Parent Written bytwinito July 25, 2012

Nightmares!

From what I had seen this looked good for my Daughter aged 6 to see. People raved about the positive themes. My daughter was petrified. She wanted to leave half way through as her face was buried into me because the sounds of bears fighting was still terrifying. I did stay to the end to try and show her that everything worked out and the Mummy is back but it wasn't worth it. My poor daughter wont let me speak of the film, she's too afraid she'll have nightmares :( I feel cheated and so sad that I exposed her to this. It should be advertised as bears fighting and witchcraft, not of a cute girl learning how to appreciate her mother.

Parent Written bypeepa July 13, 2012

Not so fast

Much fighting. Loud, scary scenes. Strong accents make some dialog hard to understand. Killing, eating the first fish. Burps and belches. Unnecessary reference to nakedness of the Queen.

Parent of a 5 and 9 year old Written bySnoozhe July 7, 2012

Good message and movie--a little scary

I liked this movie and the group of girls (and one boy) did too--girls age 9 and 10. Most gave it a "10"! A couple of the girls said it was a little scary and they cried--but mostly because (spoiler alert) they thought the Mom was going to die. My 5.5 year old boy wasn't scared at all, so I think this is likely to scare sensitive boys and younger girls. In fact, my boy laughed a lot more than the girls (it's that boy humor that is all over the story).
This isn't the best Pixar movie--but the animation is beautiful, and the message is really good. I love how it resolves with regret, an apology and forgiveness. This is "real life" for pre-teens and teens. If you are not ready for your 5 year old to see someone talking back, than this is not the movie for you. And mothers and daughters fight all. the. time. Though she is disrespectful, she pays for it in consequences. That's a good lesson for all of us!
As for the cleavage/key thing--it was a little weird and inappropriate. But I would say it was not done in a sexual manner. It was approached like a mischievious boy would approach it. And the animation bums? I guess they could have left them out, but I find your American beach to be much more suggestive and with a much higher sexual element than those cartoon bottoms. And most of us take our kids to the beach, right? Don't get me wrong. I'm very conservative about things like this, but these are minor things especially considering most young kids aren't phased by a naked bottom.
I thought it was a good movie; better than Cars 2 for sure--not as good as Monsters or Toy Story 1. But compared to all of the other junk out there? This is much better. But if your child is scared easily, you should wait until they are about 9 or 10.

Parent of a 7 year old Written byShudabeenHeidi July 6, 2012

Too Scary for Seven

My seven year old grandson who loves to read (e.g., Spiderwick Field Guide is his favorite) found the movie too scary and begged to leave. Adults who saw the film agreed.

Teen, 14 years old Written bybeccylucy July 5, 2012

A BUTT IS A BUTT, THEY ARE ALL THE SAME

My friends and I went to see Brave as a group a couple days after it came out. We were all excited about the female lead being a little tougher than other Disney princesses and not as perfect. I will admit that it was not my favorite Pixar movie, but I did enjoy it.
There was a lot more violence in this movie than other Pixar movies, but it was NO WHERE near a PG-13 rating. The scenes with the bear would be scary to younger children , so I wouldn't suggest it for anyone under 6 or 7 unless they are mature.
At the begging of the movie Merida seemed to be just like she was portrayed in the commercials, a strong female lead who could stick up for herself and make her own decisions. But when the movie started she was slightly immature and is very rude to her mother. (Not to say that I wouldn't be if I was going to be forced into marriage.) Her attitude does get much worse before it begins to get better and by the end of the movie she has grown up , and over all changed her attitude for the better.
The "sexual content" in the movie is so discreet that the children in our theater didn't get any of it. At the very beginning the King does pinch the queens butt, and there are naked butts in the movie but PLEASE GROW UP A LITTLE. A butt is a butt, they all look the same.

Parent of a 6 and 9 year old Written byDocMommy July 5, 2012

Brave is too terrifying & scary for kids!!!

We took our 9 year old daughter and our 6 year old son to see Brave in 3D. Both of our children were scared and terrified of the "bad" bear with the arrows and one eye! This was the first film that ever scared my children. I have never seen my son leap out of his seat in fear until now. My daughter covered her ears and closed her eyes. They were also shaken with the extremely loud noise in the movie. This film is not appropriate for young kids. My kids did NOT like this movie. Whatever positive message Disney was hoping to convey was lost after "the bear." I would recommend the Avengers before this film. As an aside, La Luna the Pixar short before Brave was AMAZING! I was so sure it was a sign of good things to come, sadly it was not. Too bad. :(

Educator and Parent Written byanniebeagle July 4, 2012

I loved it, but my 3-year-old won't be watching it.

I enjoyed Brave very much (I'm a 36-year-old mom), but my 7-year-old son, who had just enjoyed Star Wars the day before, said it was TOO SCARY, and my husband said it was too girly. Some scenes were very intense, and although it made me chuckle, I didn't appreciate all the naked tushies in this movie (you see the bare backsides of several grown men in one scene and some little boys in another). The most disappointing thing to me was a scene where we infer that a character believes his love to have been kidnapped and most likely raped. The audience knows that's not what happened, but I didn't appreciate the suggestion. It definitely earned its PG rating, and I am glad I didn't take my 3-year-old to see it. Negatives aside, though, it was a great story and an endearing movie.

Parent Written bysb11 July 4, 2012

Not for kids younger than 7

Kid, 11 years old Written byTwilight Sparkle July 2, 2012

Well, I really like medieval times and anything that has to do with kings or castles. :)

My plans were changed. I was originally going up to the theater to watch a different movie when my father said that my younger sister- nine years old- might be bored sitting through the movie. So, seeing as there was one movie she might want to watch, we saw Brave. And well, it was actually pretty good. It might be a bit scary for smaller children in some parts, but overall, not very scary. There is some violence, with partial nudity- just comical- and some drinking, but not overly excessive.

Overall, since I haven't seen anything overly satisfactory pumped out of Disney or Pixar for awhile, it was very good.

Parent Written bygoddessrfl July 1, 2012

Great for brave kids of all ages

My girls are 8 and 4 and they both loved it. There were a few scary, jump in your seat moments but that's not something that's ever bothered us. If your kids are really timid and easily scared, this may not be the movie for you. However, I think most kids now are used to the thrill ride that a movie can provide and will love the action and suspense and laughs this movie provides. Plus, it shows girls in a strong role which is always appreciated in our family. Great movie and worth the price of a ticket at the "real" theater :)

Adult Written byTrami Nguyen June 24, 2012

Brave The 3D Movie is an awesome!

I like this 3D movie, because Melinda is a strong female character and heroine.

Teen, 15 years old Written byComedyKing October 16, 2012

ARE YOU KIDDING ME????

WHY ARE SO MANY PEOPLE GIVING THIS MOVIE BAD RAPS?????!!!!! Forgive me but you must realize, these reviews are ruining the beauty of this movie!!!! Saying things like "Oh this movie is too voilent for kids." "Kids shouldn't watch this movie." This movie is not violent!!! Violence is blood, gore and explosions!! There is no gore in this movie! There is no blood in this movie! Did you people fall asleep during most of the movie and then woke up during the so-call violent scenes or something or were you just not paying any attention to it at all and were too stubborn and worried about it's disturbance or did you just not give it a chance at all? I went to go see this movie with my father once and we sat right next to these three little girls and they didn't think it was scary at all! Infact, they actually liked it and so did their parents! Brave is a great movie and it became one of my favorite movies ever!!! Why are you people ruining that???? Who cares??? Kids aren't even gonna know what any of these elements are anyway till they reach their elementary years!!! (Well, I mean, atleast I didn't even know what these "violent" elements were when I reached my elementary years.) But other than that, JUST GIVE IT A CHANCE!!!!! Gosh!! Strict parenting can be an annoying pain sometimes!!!

Parent Written byidmom5 July 18, 2012

Too much that didn't need to be there ...

My husband and I went to see Brave without our kids so we'd know if it was a good movie for our kids to see or not. We researched it beforehand - watched lots of trailers and clips, read reviews - and nothing seemed to point toward how violent and scary it is. However, the scary aspect of the movie wasn't necessarily what bothered us most.

I did not like the emphasis placed on the cleavage of one of the female characters. There are several instances where this character's bosom is a focal point of the story and the animation itself. It is gross and not appropriate for children. Also, the naked backsides of the king and others crosses the line. Earlier in the movie the whole idea of "nothing under the kilt" is poked fun at, but to later see the complete nudity of male characters from the back is too much. Just because it's animated doesn't make it appropriate. The same is true for the implication that the queen is naked under a blanket with an army of soldiers surrounding her. Attention is drawn to things that aren't needed in a children's movie.

My final complaint with the movie, however, is a subtle message that is anti-marriage and anti-authority (specifically the authority of parents). Merida gives no reasons why she does not want to be married except that she will "lose her freedom." In the end she becomes the first Disney princess without a prince. Instead, she promotes the idea that it is good to break with tradition - good to create "her own story" - which is not, in my opinion, a coincidence of the storyline but more of social agenda. The reconciliation she has with her mother is likewise disappointing, because instead of remaining in the role of parent, her mother suddenly becomes a BFF. (This is even implied by the fact that her mother now wears her hair down instead of in restricting braids).

All in all, my husband and I really wanted to like this movie and feel like it would be a good match for our family to enjoy, but we were let down. The animation is stunning, many of the characters clever and engaging, but there are just too many things about the movie that make it questionable for a young and impressionable audience.

Adult Written byweasly July 18, 2012

Great! Great!

I just saw it, and it was amazing! I am 13, by the way. If i was a parent, i would NEVER bring my 4,5,6 year old kid to a movie theater. Period. I didn't get to see movies in the theater until i was about 8! Yeah it was scary, a bit even for me. 7 is a bit young. the kid has to be old enough to know it will turn out alright.

Teen, 13 years old Written byLAXGIRL July 12, 2012

FYI

I went with my swim team on an outing. I was one of the oldest people there besides the coaches. There were some scenes that I was little scared in and seceral of the little kids told me after that they had to close there eyes because it was so scary for them. That said, I loved it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am very happy that Disney has finally made a princess that holds her own and shows that she does NOT need a husband and she is just as good if not better than the men. A very important lesson for both girls and boys when growing up! I Absolutely would recommend this movie!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Parent Written bySummer Camp Director July 12, 2012

PARENTS. ARE. WEENIES. SOMETIMES.

I agree there are a couple of violent scenes that touch you, but they are short-lived and have a typical Disney positive outcome. I would leave the pre-schooler at home, but it is fine for most school-age children. Be a good parent and TALK ABOUT THE MOVIE WITH YOUR CHILD!