Kid reviews for Coraline

Coraline Poster Image

I’m traumatized

This traumatized me
6 people found this helpful.

Do NOT watch with younger kids! Let older kids watch with adult supervision!!

This movie has had me traumatized at the age of 8y old! There is too many things wrong with this movie, but one of the main things is the horror. This movie is spine-trikling! I watched this on Halloween with my parents and my younger brothers. My mom told me that it might be a bit scary and that I can sit next to her if I wanted. I declined and said "I'm a big girl!" Both of us didn't know this movie would be this awful. It starts out okay, but towards the middle and the end it was disgusting. Coraline goes into this new world where everything is "better". She meets her "other" mom who is supposedly supposed to be better than her real mom. She has button eyes, as do all of the other "other" people in this world. This was the part that scared me first. Then (in the "other" world) she went to a play, and the preformers were almost naked wearing a thong and nipple covers. One of the women had unnaturally large breasts. This was the second thing that scared me. This part was highly inappropriate and if you ever watch this movie with kids please skip it!! After this part it all goes south. Every night Coraline goes to this "other world", but one day she decided to go during the day and the exit won't work. Coraline is fine with this, as she likes this world better. Then the "other" mom offered to rip her eyes out and see buttons in them like hers. Coraline now realizes the mistake she has made. This was the third part that scared me. She went to bed and tried to forget about what happened but when she woke up that day she was still in the "other" world (usually she wakes up back in her normal world). She realizes that the "other" mother is not on her side. She talks to her and she says (very direct) "I want to go home! Let me go!!" She replied (I don't remember exactly what she said, but she replied saying she was her mother). Coraline replied "YOU ARE NOT MY MOTHER!" The "other" mother gives Coraline 3 seconds to apologize and she doesn't. She turns into this awful creature that threatens the sew her lips shut and throws her into a closet. This was the forth thing that scared me. The ghosts inside of the closet were children that were killed by her. They warn her to not trust her. She has this kid inside of her real world, who is very annoying and weird. The "other" version of him unlocks the closet and frees her. They find a way to unlock the door. Coraline wants him to come with her. But her is not able to and will wither away in that world. Coraline is trying to find away to make things work, but then the "other" mother is walking down the stairs into the door area and the kid pushes Coraline into the tunnel and locks the door leaving Coraline able to escape. The "other" mother sees that he let her go and escape and she kills him. This was the fifth thing that scared me. This is not the end of the movie and there are more awful things to come in this movie, but this review is getting way to long. Please do not allow young kids to watch this movie it will scare them half to death, watch this movie with older preteens/young teens, and allow older teens to watch alone. This movie ruined my childhood and I am still frightened to watch it or even talk about that movie.

It's ok

5 people found this helpful.

Amazing animation and wonderful visual storytelling!

I understand that this movie is scary, especially to younger kids, but I don't think that makes it a bad film (looking at you, reviewers who said stuff like 'who wants to watch a creepy movie OMG'). Coraline has incredible stop motion animation, clever little details such as the double looped O on the 'Welcome Home' cake (look it up if you're interested, it's actually really interesting), and a compelling and unsettling story that teaches kids that not everything is as it seems. I think in a world full of generic copy-pasted stories, having something different like this is wonderful. Seriously, if you're fine being a bit scared, I cannot recommend this movie enough. It's easy to see that it was made with love.

Very Scary

Traumatizing for anyone under 18.

I. Hate. Coraline.

This movie literally traumatized me. There are endless scary scenes, robot hands ripping up a doll, creepy people and ghosts, and of course, buttons. I don't think that I was a unreasonably sensitive kid. I watched Lord of the Rings at about the same time, and could handle orcs, but this movie just scared the living daylights out of me. I watched this at age five or six, and it scared me so much, that I was actually scared of the names Caroline or Coraline, I couldn't stand the word "stiches" and I hated buttons. I got rid of my dolls that had button eyes, and a book that I originally loved with a girl called Caroline, I wouldn't read. Don't show this to kids. I didn't watch the entire movie because it was to creepy. We got to the part with the ghost kids, and that was it. I had thought this movie would be cute, because it had buttons on it. I had originally thought buttons were sweet, after watching this, I considered them one step removed from intrinsically evil. Of course, now I'm over most of that. Buttons and stiches don't bother me, I can say the name Caroline without even a flinch, and I like sewing. But now ten years later, I am STILL scared of this movie. And I'm fifteen. FIFTEEN! It's been ten entire years since I watched this and I still think that monster's under my bed. I KNOW it's not, but I THINK it is. I'm not scared of buttons or anything like that, but it's been a decade since I saw it and I'm still disturbed. This movie literally scarred me for years, possibly for life, so take my advice. I warn you, DO NOT SHOW YOUR KIDS. It'll scar them.

Not for kids.

Just so you know I have not watched the movie, and I don’t intend to, I just know a lot about it, and the storyline. But just generally I am tired of adults making kids movies that have huge horror elements in them, and then saying that they are suitable for kids. I mean even if a kid does’nt mind these things or even enjoys them, it’s not good for the sub conscious mind, it will always play up in your mind and thoughts, and there will always be a part of the child that thinks it is real, I know that was the exact case for me when I was a kid, and still now. And remember that whatever a child sees they will never be able to un-see. Also the concept of the parents (they were already not so nice, but not evil) being evil in the other world, is very scary for little ones, and confuses parents for children, who are supposed to be there for the child and loving, I mean not all are, but children can learn about that when they are older.They don’t need to be scared by it now. And I’ve seen that a lot of reviews that other people have been mad at others for saying that Coraline is horrifying and unsuitable, and that Coraline is a great character for being strong, but the reality is that an eleven year old would not be able to cope in the circumstances of the movie, not even an adult would be able to. And let’s remember that even though it’s good that Coraline is portrayed in a strong way, that I find that children in movie, or rather the character is expected to be positive and strong continually, despite the awful things that happen to them, and of course you sould be able to pick yourself up and get on with your life, despite what happens to you, but a child needs help and support. They shouldn’t be told that they can deal with monumentally huge and terrifying situations, when in real life they would just break down. Of course it is just a movie, but still the visuals are very full on. I would not recommend this to children.

Coralline

I didn’t understand the movie until I was 11
3 people found this helpful.

SO SCARY

3 people found this helpful.

It’s appropriate for ages 10+

It has some scary images, and some revealing clothing. And it gave my 4 year old sister a nightmare. But it was pretty cute. And had a good ending to it.

2 people found this helpful.